bigjim's build!

bigjim247365

Anime boobs & male genitals? Sign me up!
Supporting Member
hello friend and welcome to my horrible build thread. the following thread is the result of over 5 years worth of hard work to getting my Xterra where she is today and continuing forward. even though its pretty much the same as anyother 1st gen modded this much (like most of them are, lets be honest) here's my version other that story. if you told my pre senoir year self back in the summer of 2010 when i bought this thing off my dad, that id still driving it and doing what i did with it, 2010 me would probably start laughing and calling BS, then again highschool me was an idiot who wanted a big lifted pick up yatta yatta. you may ask yourself, "then why after 7 years of ownership are you still here?" the answer is simple, i fell in love. i fell in love with the Xterra, and more importantly the community. you guys are great, no really i mean that. between my local club GLX and the nationwide community i met at Went and are friends with on FB, its something i wanna keep around for a long time. though every time one of you new guys pops up, Xterra still virgin, your eyes big and blue, drool comin out your mouth looking at all the possibles with these builds, then you ask THE question that drives some of us nuts, "whats biggest tire i can run on my X?" i just wanna put you in a head lock and say "boy, you gonna learn today". but then i smile because 6 or 7 years ago i was asking the same questions. so here we are 2017. i hope enjoy what you see. if you are new, welcome. if your seasoned like me, welcome back, if i know you in person, welcome back you *(^***^%%$$^&.

hope you like what you see.

My X is a white 2004 XE 3.3L V6 non-S/C, 4.90 gears, and her name is RYOKO 涼子.

CHECK LIST
[] Hover Conversion
[X] S/C Rad Swap
[X] Cragar Soft 8s (4" back spacing)
[X] Shrockworks bumper
[X] tire carrier rear bumper
[X] Skid plates (engine/tranny and front end)
[X] Shrock sliders
[X] 2in body lift
[X] PML
[X] Bilstien 5100 3in shocks
[X] AC AAL/Calmini UCAs for a full 3in SL
[X] 32" LED light bar
[X] 33s BFG KOs
[]Snorkel
[X] Flowmaster super 44 (it feel the F*** off on the freeway)
[X] NGK spark plug wires
[X] Rear diff locker
[X] Front diff locker
[X] Flaps and running boards removed

[] Diesel swap or Natural Gas conversion (in a few years)
DGgptz348hsqwrcB2PTriA_r.jpg

Current pics
14517361_10211044967343258_7007299763280206715_n.jpg

14355720_746087430595_2025212028737629464_n.jpg

Lifestyle Off Road tire carrier.
14632852_10211280443390012_648964526457801882_n.jpg

14639871_10211280442709995_7185000634101823623_n.jpg

HqqD2VY.jpg

xh4m6rp.jpg

OFVFlHH.jpg

238xY83.jpg

here is a pic from me wheeling in the X for the first time. notice how soccer momish she still looked haha!
XnYH5ZG.jpg

then when summer rolled around i got tires and took of the splash guards and step rails
i4wrqEn.jpg

first major mod was a shrock. when you drop tha kinda money, you know there is no going back.
e0HoVbe.jpg

Last edited:

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
YAy for Avalanche X's! Looks to be a good start esp for busy college kids like yourself. :p
thanks, i try haha, i see that your avatar is the hachi-roku from Initial D, im a fan of that show myself. i have a redsuns sticker along with the one above the Xterra name badge.
im such a fanboy haha!

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
^OMG! You're one of the first people that actually knows what my avatar is from. Win! You have earned special points in my book, haha! Yeah, I love that show. NEver read the manga, but watched all the seasons and even the live action film. Ahhh yeah, I'm an anime dork. :p

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
hahaha same here, but ive read the manga, there's like 5 more 4th stage battles than the show. u know a while ago i was thinking about painting my X to look like the 86, i mean its all ready half way there as is haha!

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
White Xterras hold a special place in my heart
thank you, glad to hear that. i looked at both your build threads, mostly the one with Turk. i remember i was gonna sell my Xterra to help out my family when my father didnt have job for 3 months so i feel your pain, and if i did sell her id most likely get a new one as soon as i can. plus i was wondering why i kept seeing vids of a white X with the same rear bumper you run on Stan. haha!

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
oh! i forgot to post my handy work fixing part of my grill. see the story behind this is that before i had the Shrockworks i still went offroading, i was coming down a steep hill on wet clay, witch is like ice as many of us should know haha, i was going down with my wheels locked up about five mph and bumped into a tree. it took about 10 mins to do some NASCAR style body work with a hammer to prevent wheel rub. so this is the only sign left that this story happened. wheeler life am i right? haha
DTK3TFP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Big_THanks

Wheeling
Founding Member
Nice Truck. Love the Shrock. Is it just me or was the transfer tape part on some of your decals still on the window? Maybe I am mistaken.

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
Nice Truck. Love the Shrock. Is it just me or was the transfer tape part on some of your decals still on the window? Maybe I am mistaken.
the zombie stickers came with heavy duty liner and ive talked to the ebay person i bought them from and he said that they just go on that way.

And thanks for the love! i remember the first week i had that monster of a bumper on all my buddies were like "holy sh#t!! where did you get that thing!?"
its strong as hell!

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
so last time i said that i would paint my plastics, well about that.... see with work and limited free time, i just couldnt do it. HOWEVER!!!! i did try a few things to bring back the dark grey color in my almost yellow front grill.
heres a shot oh the X during the summer.... notice how the grill does not match the headlight frame.
is3AWbe.jpg

when i got my shrockworks bumper is when i started to notice the discoloration
so earlier today after work, tried a few cheap fixes on account that i didnt have time to paint them

first i tried the blow-tourch trick where the flame burns off the oxidation.... it didnt work :weep:
UxzX3oU.jpg

so.... i found some left over 1500 grit sand paper from spare body work supplies and started sanding to see if it could work.
after sanding a few spots i saw that it started to work! pic related
N1srA7g.jpg

it got the point where the grill started to match the light frame near perfectly
hZUeVLv.jpg

then after about half an hour of sanding.... done!

i didnt get the honey com parts done cuz this is only temporary .

i zip tided the grill back on. i was gonna take it all the way off but the bumper got in the way, soulda known lol
those stupid plastic things tha hold it on broke so zip ties do just fine
Xth6CZ3.jpg

thats it for now, more to come in may when school is out!

granitex

Skid Plates
Founding Member
My grill has been held in with zip ties for years, I find that they are quieter than the factory clips,, not that I can hear it anymore.

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
Hello again XN! i just got back from pepboys to buy some horse power add-ons, they are nothing special but some of them were needed.
WARNING: CRAPPY CELLPHONE PICS AHEAD!

okay first off, everybody loves vanity plates and so do i! i talked one of my cops friends and there is little chance id get stopped for this, plus the plate is in my window.
htA9bax.jpg

next up, i really wanted to get rid of the crappy dealer frames that have been on the X since 2004. BLING BLING CHAIN YA'LL! :D
CQGa3yD.jpg

real tree camo steering wheel cover with matching floor mats up front.
QlIEyxV.jpg

last but not least, one must always rock the red white and blue on their rig! gobble BLESS AMERICA!

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
shameless self bump for an updated "current pic" on 1st page.

ALSO, a heads up on what will come next ether this weekend or a few days after: i will be Plasti Dipping my rims. (HOPEFULLY!)

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
hey XN! so yesterday i tried to buy some plasti dip for the rims, however home depot nor lowes had any in stock!!! :weep:plus i really couldnt afford to have my X on jack stands this weekend anyway, so ill save it for next week. HOWEVER!!! pepboys is on my way home from those two stores, so i stopped in. ofcourse they didnt have what was looking for, but they did have some Duplicolor bed armor! long story short i bedlined my rocker panels in my shop at work after i clocked out. it was pretty easy, clean, sand, air blast to clean the sanded panels, tape, and then spray away!
again i have crappy cellphone pics, i cant find my darn camera. :dead:

after cleaning and sanding, came the taping
cDOCDCK.jpg

SPRAY SPRAY SPRAY* 15-20 min wait, SPRAY SPRAY SPRAY* done!!! 2 coats did the trick for me.
Dfuy532.jpg

quick close up on the finished product, still might have been wet.
JmawKnL.jpg

next side! PREP PREP, SPRAY SPRAY... i think you get the piont :D
ErFaFgR.jpg

ixV2xBr.jpg

until next time XN!

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
hey everyone, so today after work i did my bi-weekly undercarriage check and i found that my passenger side CV axle boot clamp (the big one) had sliped off. it must have just done it, cuz there was little to no grease splatter around it. i tried to get it back on but it was to greasy and was a pain in the rear to get back so i pushed it back the best could but its not as tight as it should be. i know its really not a big til winter hits but i think ill deal with the problem in full when i install the lift in a few weeks.

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
hello once again everyone, so today i finally fixed my loose CV axle boot clamp. on paper it sounds easy, but actually doing it is a pain in the @$$!
i thought it was gonna be easy as crimping the loose clamp and done. NOPE, i had to take the thing off, unbend the crimping part to be able to get the 3 clamp teeth into the three holes. it took me almost and hour in total but most of it was getting that last millimeter push to hook on the teeth. then i crimped it and done! i never want to do that again! :weep:

heres the little s.o.b. that gave me a headache. it was the clamp on the passenger side nearest the brake rotor.
W5BrGIo.jpg

sorry for the bad pic, this and a hammer is what i did to get the crimp out to give more slack in the clamp to hook the teeth in
r9VDZnI.jpg

after a few wacks at it, the crimp moved ever so slightly but it was enough. mind this was take right be for i got it on.
xyB2T16.jpg

sorry i dont have the pic it being on, i was to tired from work. i just slapped my tire on and drove home. and yes it was still on when i got home.

until next time!

bigjim247365

Supporting Member
today i added somethings that will make the admins very happy! :luv:

bye-bye old forum!
6bMzgGB.jpg

hello new forum decals!!!!
fHb2EcC.jpg

eXgr57c.jpg

then one of these guys on the back side windows
G5bUByu.jpg