How To: 2nd Battery Mod (Part One)

Oz_X

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
***PLEASE NOTE*** This mod is for those who have relocated their spare via a swing-a-way bumper or other location.

Go here for 2nd Battery Mod, Part 2: Connect It Up!

OK I think this is a really great place for it. Its out of the way and easy to service. The small cargo area in the back under the lifting panel. What I am going to do is cut into the tub and fasten in a metal box which will hold the battery. I am using a NATO ammo can I had laying around the garage for the box and the dimensions are perfect for the 2nd battery, with a little extra room to boot.

Here's the ammo can:
2B01.jpg

First step: Shave off all the fixtures on the ammo can. Then you can set it aside.
2B02.jpg

After marking your template (Use can use whatever box you're using for the template) make your cuts very carefully. Remember to always measure twice and cut once!
2B03.jpg

For most people you can probably center your can in the middle of the cargo area and it will be a lot easier to fit. Mine is going up into the slant because my rear crossmember is in the way (it was relocated during my SOA conversion) but this will work fine
2B04.jpg

OK here's the finished cut. You can see the crossmember I mentioned.
2B05.jpg

To brace it in I'm using angled aluminum and pop rivots but you can use any kind of metal you like. I used this from scraps around my garage.
2B06.jpg

2B07.jpg

After that I set it in the hole and just started drillin' & rivotin'
2B08.jpg

Here's what it looks like underneath:
2B09.jpg

Starting to shape up. Its actually pretty strong in there
2B10.jpg

Almost done but it's getting dark and there's thunder and lighting and rain so I'm quitting for today. We'll finish part one tomorrow!

- - -
EDIT 1/0/09 ITS DONE

2nd Battery Mod, Part 2: Connect It Up!

Last edited: