How to: OBA on the Cheap

Oz_X

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
OBA (On Board Air); I've wanted to do this for a while. First I picked up this portable compressor about 2

years ago. Tsunami; a really cheap one from The Boys at Pep for less than $50 bucks. Not the greatest by any

means but works like a champ:
51RRHMZBY8L._SS500_.jpg

First carefully remove the front plastic grill by carefully removing the (4) plastic clips:

DSCW2477.jpg

Inside I found a really great mounting spot. There's a structural plate on the inside of a SWs bumper. You can

kind of see it here: (arrow is pointing to it)

DSC_2492.jpg

Here's another view of the mounting location:

DSC_2493.jpg

I drilling 4 holes that lined up with the base plate holes of the Tsunami. You'll have to remove the rubber feet that

were inside those holes. Put the compressor in there and mark the holes for drilling. Make sure the compressor

in not too close to any wires or hoses that could cause future probs by any rubbing. Remove the compressor

then drill your holes.

Next tap the hole that feeds the air line. Tap it for a 1/4" brass air nipple (Note: the threads measure like 5/8").

You'll have to remove the quick disconnect fitting first obviously that came with the compressor (its the cheap,

chrome crappy one). Yellow arrow in the picture shows which hole it is. (forgive the 'already installed' photos - I

did take step-by-step photos while i was during this but my flash card failed and I had to do these after the fact)

DSCW2471.jpg

After tapping that hole install the compressor with your favorite fastener.

In this picture purchase these (3) items: (1), a 1/4" brass nipple, (2) a 1/4" brass elbow, and (3) some kind of

airline that will have 1/4" brass fitting on both ends. I opted for a teflon stainless steel braided line. Mine was 17"

long and cost $26 (you dont have to go for this expensive of an option - you could use a piece of an old airline

with 1/4" barbed ends and hoseclamps. I always like to use teflon tape when doing any kind of fitting like these.

DSC_2496.jpg

Here's what it looks like so far:

DSC_2494.jpg

On the other end I put a quick disconnect in case I need to dismount the bumper I can disconnect the airline

easily.

DSC_2495.jpg

Using a washer and a 1/4" brass coupler I mounted a quick disconnect male fitting here:

DSC_2491a.jpg

On the back side of this is another quick disconnect male fitting, this is where the stainless hose connects to.

DSC_2491.jpg

Inside view installed:

DSC_2490.jpg

After that you can just wire the compressor directly to the battery. The Tsunami has an inline fuse in the power

wire. Switching it on/off is easily done by reaching into the square access holes in the SWs bumper.

Here's what it looks like in operation:

DSC_2488.jpg

DSC_2486.jpg

That should be it! Now say goodbye to the crappy storage bag and the one dimensional airline:

DSC_2497.jpg