GPD605X Build Thread

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Well it's about time I made a Build Thread over here...So here it is.

Username: GPD605X
Year: 2005
Make: Nissan
Model: Xterra
Trim: SE 4X4
Color: Silver
Mods: 2" Spacers (Unknown brand, they were on it when I bought it) 285/70R17's BFG A/T's, OME Darkar Leaf Springs, Totron 40" LED Light Bar, Airflow Snorkel, Custom Grill, LED Interior Lights, LED Reverse/Tag Lights, Mazzi Sphinx Wheels 17x8, Wheel Adapters, Stubby Antenna, Grill Mod and battery tie down
Photos:
Here's the old X at the stealership...

Here's the New X:
2011-06-06_182350.jpg

As you can see...leafs are flat.
IMAG0090-1.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

First Hand Wash Bath

Went down to the river today (7/25/2011) and had a blast getting to it. I was almost too wide but got thru with no damage.

My plans are to get armored front/rear (Hefty), sliders (hefty), snorkel, new leafs, prob a susp lift, new tires (treadwrights), xoskel light cage, some off road lights and stealth the wheels, tail lights, bumpers and roof rack.

Last edited:

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Coming thru and fixing my photobucket pic's and figured I would ad a bunch of things missing

Found a deal on CL that I just couldn't pass up. Stock coil overs with front and rear Rancho shocks from a 05 Titan with less than 4k miles on them for $30!!!

Also, I'm also getting these wheels sandblasted and painted flat black for the all low price of.......$75!! I thought he meant each, but no...he meant for all 5 wheels! He's a friend of a friend and he's basically charging me for supplies. I'm super stoked! Also ordered my stubby lug nuts so I can mount them. I'm told that to fit the adapters with 285's that I will have to trim some metal... but I'm fine with it, I'll have it for a very long time.
Here's the adapters:

Here's the wheels that will be sandblasted and then painted flat black:
SU1HMDAwMzMuanBn.jpg

Primed:

Initial Coats:

Final Result:

At first, they look chromish, but in person, they are black black. The center cap is chrome and they will have chrome lug nuts. At first, he told me he couldn't do them because they were aluminum...but then he told me he used his "spot blaster" and was able to do it without hurting the aluminum. I mean, there are some little flaws, but he did a much better job than I would have ever done. Eventually, I will pc them or get them bed lined.

Finally got them mounted. They look sick! Had to bend/hammer some metal to make them not rub. Stance is so much better! On with the pictures...
As you can see...they rub, Just a little bit lol

Here's what I trimmed/hammered back to get rid of the rubbing. It was think enough that all I had to do was bend it with a pair of pliers.

As she sits...Stance is freaking sweet!

Here...you can really tell I need new Leaf springs

Also added my stubby antenna

Last edited:

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Bought a new Optima Yellow Top for $155. Originally $210.99 but I got the $50.00 off Advance Auto Instant-Rebate & $25 Optima Mail-In Rebate and of course, the battery is a lot shorter than the stock so now the battery clamps on the side are too tall...so I to figure out that issue. Also, replaced my cabin filters, took about 15 mins... I figured it would be a lot worse because of all the dust from NXM but it wasn't too bad.

Last edited:

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Thanks! Hopefully soon I will get to order my OME leafs. My next project is to retrofit a tire carrier on the hatch or from the stock bumper.

Saw this on youtube and it got me thinking again, It's not a perfect drawing but it gives you the idea. I would love to get some type of swing arm without having to replace the entire bumper. Also thinking about a hatch mounted spare tire. I know weight would be an issue but I've got McMaster Carr 150lbs struts so I don't think a tire w/ rim would weigh that much. Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Last edited:

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
So today I was in the drive-thru and right when I was ordering, started hearing this bad clicking noise. I thought to myself, hmm... someones car sounds like crap. I pull up and notice the noise followed me...I roll my widow down further and put the car in park and rev'd it up a little bit and the noise got louder. I was like CRAP! It's my car that is making this sound. It sounds like the fan is hitting something and I popped my hood and acted like I knew what I was looking for and from what I could see, it wasn't hitting anything but I cant really see it too well.

Last edited:

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Took the X to the mechanic Tuesday. They have ruled it to be a Timing Chain issue. The noise was from a bad Tensioner, causing the chain to slap against the cover and start making grooves and if I continued to drive the way it was, it could throw metal shavings into the engine so we all know that that's not good. They said it needed 2 Tensioner Arms and 1 other thing. So, I should get the X back tomorrow. Total is about $1,200. I can't afford to get it fixed but we are working something out with the guy. He said honestly there is no point in putting it all back together again not being fixe because the labor is already halfway done, so I might as well go ahead and get it fixed.

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Yea, today they said there may be some damage to the actual chain, so they are thouroughly inspecting it.
Here's some pics

Last edited:

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
HEy man I know this sucks.. but if you fix it all then you know you have a good 100k more of fun :)
Cheer up man..

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Here's some pix from NXM2 and Cade's Cove (On the way home from NXM)
DSC08827_zpsd9ca1a8d.jpg

DSC08830_zps765141ff.jpg

DSC08832_zps87c265fc.jpg

DSC08834_zpsf15972ff.jpg

DSC08836_zps80f43845.jpg

DSC08839_zps5f97cfdb.jpg

DSC08850_zps014ac025.jpg

Here's my ghetto nets for sleeping in the back.
2012-09-22_08-24-01_797_zpsba0294ee.jpg

Twin Air Mattress in the back
2012-09-22_08-23-54_26_zpsbce44005.jpg

2012-09-22_08-24-10_774_zps21936446.jpg

SlimJim's X and Mine for comparison lol
2012-09-21_16-45-46_541_zpsbaa6824f.jpg

DSC08792_zps29d25676.jpg

DSC08791_zps951d8753.jpg

DSC08784_zpse1e63fe7.jpg

DSC08782_zpsed2f5745.jpg

DSC08767_zps03da5b3c.jpg

DSC08766_zps7e82a79f.jpg

DSC08764_zps6d0e4e60.jpg

Aired down to 20 psi
DSC08726_zps646064ec.jpg

DSC08725_zps72df36ce.jpg

DSC08722_zps8ba65d25.jpg

@ the Campsite
DSC08698_zps5a46d739.jpg

DSC08697_zpscdc2249a.jpg

SANY0008_zpsebb8ef5f.jpg

SANY0003_zps6ba160b1.jpg

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Well, since its been cold lately, I've noticed that my heat isn't working like it should. At first, I figured it was because the engine was still cold and hadn't warmed up. Well, after I let it run for about 10-15 mins, I hopped in and it was still freezing inside. Once I start to drive, the heat starts coming thru. Once I stop, the heat slowly goes away and starts blowing cold air. Any suggestions?

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Check your coolant levels.. I have been told the Gen 2 is finicky about having the levels just right

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Well I was driving to work today, doing about 60-ish mph and all of a sudden I felt a shudder. I had my foot on the pedal and I got no throttle response for a brief second, RPMS went down to about 1000 (was at about 2500) and then it went back to normal. Same thing happened on my way home from work last night but I thought my foot just may have slipped off the pedal or something. Not sure what happened. I need an oil change but I don't know what else it could be. Any suggestions?

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Idk.... but it keeps happening, I don't know what the crap is going on. Hopefully, I can get my taxes back soon and take it to get checked out.

On my way to work, I'm cruising about 60mph and all of a sudden theres a kick and the VDC Light & Slip Lights turn on. About a minute later, it does it again. Then I stop at a red light and as soon as I actually stop, the car just dies. I put it in park, turn everything completely off and then attempt to restart and it cranks up fine. I'm thinking maybe its a fuel pump or something like that but honestly don't know what it is.

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Happened again this morning, just sitting in the driveway idling and it sputtered then died. I'm going to have to get it checked out.

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Sounds like a fuel pump to me...
Yea, it kinda makes sense... I'll get it checked out soon. Hopefully the tax check will come in and get everything done all at once.

Also, I'm looking at tires too. So many to choose from. I've narrowed it down to BFG A/T's, Grabber Red Letters, Nitto's or Duratracs (If they aren't too expensive). All those are around $200-$270 each. Duratracs being the most expensive. I've thinking of Treadwrights because I've had them before and been pretty happy with them but I'm still doing a lot or research. Just so many freaking choices

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Well I'm in the market for new shoes...
Here's my tire choices.... most of these prices are from Discount Tire and Tread Depot
Toyo Open County AT 285/70R17 - $172 each
Nitto Terra Grappler - 285/70R17 - $210.00 each
Nitto Dune Grappler - 285/70R17 - $245.00 each
Kelly Safari TSR - 285/70R17 - $231.00
Hankook DynaPro ATM - 285/70R17 - $236.00 each
General Grabber Red Letter - 33x12.5R17 - $255.00 each (I REALLY WANT THESE...)
Falken Wild Peak A/T 2 - 285/70R17 - $219.00 each
Falken Rocky Mountain - 285/70R17 - $212.00 each
Cooper Zeon LTZ - 285/70R17 - $219.00 each
Cooper Discoverer STT - 285/70R17 - $227.00
Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx - 285/70R17 - $266.00 each
Cooper Discoverer ATP - 285/70R17 - $214.00 each
Cooper Discoverer AT3 - 285/70R17 - $231.00 (discounttiredirect.com) / $158.00 each (treaddepot.com)

Last edited:

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Well I've been browsing CL for a bit and found some 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers with only 4,500 miles for $350.00. I'm currently on 285s but how much different are the 285s from the 265s? I know the 285s are a little wider but visually is there much difference? I mean for $350, that's a freaking steal!

Here's the link
http://gulfport.craigslist.org/pts/3601711999.html
Posted via Mobile Device

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Look up treadepot.com they will give you a great detail on sizes...

350 seems a little too cheap for that tire.. The Kelly's are a nice tire...

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
Ive got the st maxxs on my truck and there hands down one of the best tires, ive had on it. Only drawback to them is their weight 265/75/16s are weighting in about 54 lbs a piece. They've handle everything I've thrown at them. I was a little worried about them in the mud, but they clean out really good. Traction on slick rocks is good with these tires also. They get my vote lol

I had the cooper stts also, great tire off-road. Road manners are decent. Not that great in the rain though. tend to feel like paddles in standing water. I got 35,000 out of set, would have gotten more but I slacked on rotating them and was in need of a front end alignment

ff x

Bought an X
I had the hankook ATM and really loved them. Get good bite offroad and are great onroad. I also, really like the look of the new toyo at 2.

Timrich

Super Duper Moderator
Founding Member
I had the Terra Graplers before I got my current tire and they were an good balance on and off road. They wore nice as well.

AZhiAZiAM

Suspension Lift
if your going to go toyos get the MT, i have the STT and they are nice tires, little loud for some people on the road i don't notice it, but you have to keep up with the rotation or they are toast. they do clean very well though. the red labels are awesome tires i've also had them, you can't really go wrong with those. i'd look into toyo MT for a MT tire and those cooper maxes for the AT. if your set on the terra grapplers ask NMT he has a pair of there better made grapplers they look like an awesome tire too.