Do-It-Yourself----Painting Your Hood

SnickerDoodle

Life's Better Seeing Pink
Founding Member
I'm not quite sure who was the first to bedline their hood of their Xterra but that person was a genius!

Reasons for painting your hood...
1) Some roof lights send a nasty glare off the hood, which causes difficulty for the driver to see at night.
2) It looks cool!
And lastly.. my reasoning. Someone who will not be named wrote in the mud on my hood while at JeepSkool in Ohio. And although I do <3 pink, having it scratched into the hood I did not <3. So I searched high and low... to the edge of the interwebs and back. It was a long trek! But I had finally found a company who makes tinted bedliner! And of course they have pink! Why wouldn't they?!

www.monstaliner.com For those who are interested.

Now on to the How-To!

1)SURFACE PREP:
• Wire brush, sand or grind any lightly rusted areas to completely remove any loose, bubbling or flaking rust and paint. (See Step 5 for heavy rust)
• Power wash or scrub area surfaces using a household detergent or TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) and hot water. Be sure to thoroughly remove all dirt including oil spots and any petroleum products residue. Rinse surfaces well and allow to dry thoroughly.
• Remove hood (optional but highly recommended however I did not) and place on a stable work surface that won’t scratch your paint.
• Remove any hardware if it’s in an area that you are going to coat.

NEVER USE LACQUER THINNER OR ALCOHOLS
ON SURFACES TO BE COATED​

2) SOLVENT WIPE/WAX REMOVAL: IMPORTANT! Solvents are flammable. Make sure you are working in a well-ventilated area, are wearing protective equipment and have read all cautionary information and procedures described on the labels or material safety data sheet of the solvents being used.
• Saturate a clean rag with MEK Solvent and wipe down all bed and tailgate surfaces that will be coated. Periodically rotate and replace rags and always use a clean section of the cloth.
• Give special attention to waxed areas; be sure to remove all wax. Monstaliner will not adhere to waxy surfaces.

(clean)
IMAG0137.jpg

6) TAPING/MASKING:
• Mask off all areas that will not be coated. Take your time to plan where you will end the coating. The neater your taping job, the nicer your final results. Look at other trucks with bed liners to get ideas. Drape newspaper and/or plastic over adjacent surfaces to prevent coating splash or roller spatter.
• Cover any open drain plugs and/or latch bolts with tape.

IMAG0138-1.jpg

4) DEGLOSSING & ROUGHING UP SURFACE:
• Using the supplied coarse scuffing pads, scour the entire area that will be coated. Proper surface preparation is evidenced by removal of gloss and generation of a light powder on the surface. 120 to 180 grit sandpaper may also be used if desired.
• Sweep or vacuum out all sanding dust and debris.

Sand the hood with extreme face
IMAG0139-1.jpg

Wipe the hood down to get rid of dust
IMAG0141.jpg

5) MIXING CATALYST WITH BED LINER:
• Shake your first gallon of Monstaliner (Part A) vigorously for 30 seconds. Gently pry the lid off the can. Contents may be under slight pressure. Note that can is short filled to allow the addition of (Part B) catalyst. Shake catalyst vigorously for 10 seconds. Open catalyst and dump entire contents into the part filled can of Monstaliner. Scrape excess catalyst from can using supplied wooden mixing stick. Attach supplied drill bit mixing paddle to your drill and power mix components for 3 full minutes. While power mixing, stop periodically and scrape sides and bottom of can using wooden stick. Shake excess liquid from drill mixing paddle and store for later use. To mix less than 1 full gallon, carefully measure 7 parts bed liner to 1 part catalyst by volume.

** When I mixed my color I knew that I did not need the entire gallon to do the hood. I mixed my tinted (pink) in with the gallon of Monstaliner, but did not add the catalyst. I measured out half a gallon of the now pink Monstaliner into another container. In this container i think added half of the container of the catalyst. Doing this allows me to save the other half a gallon of paint for a later project seeing that the pot life of mixed material is 6 to 10 hours depending on temperature and humidity.

Mix color into gallon. Not including the hardening agent
IMAG0142.jpg

6) STARTING TO COAT:

• Pour a small amount of coating into one of the supplied (my kit did not come with this) roller trays. Using the supplied paint brush; begin coating all corners, seams and hard-to-reach areas. Dab Monstaliner on rather than brushing it like paint.
• When all corners, seams and hard-to-reach areas have been covered (cut-in), begin rolling your first coat onto the surface.
• Load roller with as much material as it will hold. Roll slowly and evenly using firm, medium pressure on the roller. Continue rolling until the roller needs more material but is not empty or dry. Rolling in one direction only.

First coat
IMAG0143.jpg

DRY TIME TO RECOAT: Coating must be dry to touch with little or no tack under your fingers.
UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS – 50 to 60% Relative Humidity and 70 to 75°F – FIRST COAT WILL DRY TO RECOAT IN 3 to 5 HOURS – Warmer temperature and higher humidity will speed dry (shorten recoat time). Colder temp and low humidity will slow dry (lengthen recoat time). 1st coat may also be left to dry overnight as long as 2nd coat is installed within 24 hours.

6A) SECOND OR MORE COAT

• Confirm that coating is dry for recoat. A short screw tip roller extension pole may be helpful.
• Repeat rolling process beginning. Apply coating generously. Final texture is created by finish rolling slowly, in one direction, using firm pressure. Try to use all remaining coating on the object you are painting.

7) CLEAN-UP/TAPE REMOVAL:

• After all desired coats are complete, immediately remove all masking tape, pulling slowly at a 90 degree angle to surfaces to avoid disturbing the edges of the coating. Handle with care when removing; tape may have wet coating sticking to it. The earlier the tape is removed, the cleaner your tape lines will be and tape will come off easier.
• If any coating gets on painted surfaces of vehicle, remove promptly using a small amount of MEK on a clean rag. Re-wax areas wiped with solvent.

I personally did 4 coats to ensure that all of the coverage was even.

Remove tape and enjoy
IMAG0144.jpg

After her Easter Sunday bath
IMAG0150-1.jpg

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
Man, I can not believe how bright that pink is. Or how glossy the finish is. Did it dull out after it dried and set, or is it just going to stay glossy like that? It looks great, but isn't the point of lining the hood to limit glare from roof lights? Which I'm just now noticing you don't have, so you did this just for the pink, and everything I said before this is meaningless. Still looks great Doodle!

SnickerDoodle

Founding Member
It did dull down. It doesn't give a glare at all. It has a rubbery feel to it but with a good bumpy feeling. I have yet to get lights to mount to my B&M Light bar so it will eventually kill the glare if there is one. But I mostly wanted to cover the writing that is etched into my hood. Even with a good buffing it didn't come out. But when i was thinking of the mod I knew off the bat that I didn't want a Black on Black look, so I looked for other options, which led me to the pink!

TN4x4Xterra

Suspension Lift
It did dull down. It doesn't give a glare at all. It has a rubbery feel to it but with a good bumpy feeling. I have yet to get lights to mount to my B&M Light bar so it will eventually kill the glare if there is one. But I mostly wanted to cover the writing that is etched into my hood. Even with a good buffing it didn't come out. But when i was thinking of the mod I knew off the bat that I didn't want a Black on Black look, so I looked for other options, which led me to the pink!

LOL Sorry....back on track now!

Deltaphi216

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
very nice! now you just need to hit up your rockerpanels and you will be good to go. oooh! or, you could do the roof under the roofrack!

luv2mud

Need Bigger Tires
it looks great! My favorite color is pink as well but I have never thought to pink out the X! Mine is white though so Im not sure how it would look. Maybe a thought for the future! The hot pink looks amazing on black!

SnickerDoodle

Founding Member
Thanks. It's got 4 coats on it but they say that the thickness is about the same as a dime. Which is true.

Luv2- Hot pink and white would look hot too! I have a new mustang around me that is all white with hot pink racing stripes it looks sweet as heck!

stevencox93

First Fill-Up (of many)
I love it! how has it held up to the elements? because my X has a few scratches and what not and eventually i plan to completely bedline it to make it tougher and well everyone thinks im all badass with my plastics bedlined so would you recommend monstaliner for the whole rig or another brand? I like that they have colors

SnickerDoodle

Founding Member
If I could afford it I would do the entire truck! The color is still the same from the day I did it. I have her dirty all the time... I have a bushing that's shot and when shes clean it just squeaks and squeaks. So almost every weekend shes getting a new coat of mud. Every time i wash it off the color just POPs out at ya! I would recommend it to anyone. Especially how easy it is to use. The kit comes with everything besides drop cloths, tape and a masseuse for when your done.

SnickerDoodle

Founding Member
I mixed together half of the kit because I knew it wouldn't take the entire gallon. I ended up only using around 1/4 of the gallon. I painted my recovery hook as well. If I would have thought about it further there were other items i wanted to paint as well but I just didn't have the time.

***Just a tip that I'm not sure that I posted before.. while waiting for coats to dry I always made sure to occasionally stir the paint I had mixed up and was using. I didn't want it to start to set in the pan I was using.