HOW TO: Override the auto lock/unlock on 09+ Xterras

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
For those that don't know what I'm talking about, 2009 and up Xterra automatically lock the doors when you go over 15mph (which I don't mind) but they don't automatically unlock until you remove the key from the ignition (which drives me nuts). I wouldn't mind if it unlocked when I put it in park, but it aggravates the crap out of me to have to unlock the car manually or remove the key to let passengers out. My 08 did not have this feature, so I'm used to it being a certain way. After sifting through a FSM, I found the solution.

Without CONSULT- III
The automatic door locks (LOCK) function can be switched ON/OFF by performing the following operation.
1. Close all doors (door switch OFF).
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition switch ON, press and hold the door lock and unlock switch to the LOCK position for more than 5 seconds.
4. The switching is completed when the hazard lamps blink.
OFF → ON : 2 blinks
ON → OFF : 1 blink

[...]

The automatic door locks (UNLOCK) function can be switched ON/OFF by performing the following operation.
1. Close all doors (door switch OFF).
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition switch ON, press and hold the door lock and unlock switch to the
UNLOCK position for more than 5 seconds.
4. The switching is completed when the hazard lamps blink.
OFF → ON : 2 blinks
ON → OFF : 1 blink
5. The ignition switch must be turned OFF and ON again between each setting change.
*1: This function is set to ON before delivery.

Last edited:

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
Nope. First set of instructions is for turning on/off the auto locking when you get to 15 mph, and the second set of instructions turns on/off the auto unlocking when you remove the key from the ignition. I'm setting both to off, basically turning the locks into manual power locks, just the way I want it.

Last edited: