Aftermarket rear bumper license tag lighting

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
What are you guys using to light your license plates on aftermarket bumpers?
I have a Maxterra rear bumper, and it is hands down the best mod I've made to my Xterra. But the plate lighting solution that came with it isn't up to the task.

I've been through two of these in six months:
31XKLl2HHEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The first filled with water the first time it went through a car wash, rusting out and dying. So a I pulled the cover off the second one and sealed it with clear RTV. It didn't fill with water, but less than two months later a third of the LEDs are out, the third in the middle flicker, and the last third are still working. I suppose it's possible that sealing it caused it to over heat, but I really doubt it. I just think it's cheap garbage.

So if you've got any idea for lighting that won't require drilling into the bumper thus compromising the powder coat (current lighting attached through the license plate bolts) let's see them.

Last edited:

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
My buddy has tubed LED strips on his Heep that he uses for reverse and license plate lights. They've held up for about two years now with no problems.

Davcos

Wheeling
Founding Member
I've had two of THESE side by side along the top of my license plate for over a year now. I put a bit of silicone along the top to keep water out and they have held up great.I attached them with 2 way tape and ran the wires up and over the license plate so you don't see them (atleast not with a swing out tire carrier). They do light up the ground a bit though but I like em'

Airmapper

First Fill-Up (of many)
On my Bronco I'm using a LED strip that is intended for use on boats, claimed it was sealed for use below the waterline. I haven't been able to test it in the elements, but it appears to be a quality unit, cost about $10 at Wal-Mart. Worth a shot, but you would have to make a bracket.

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
I'm glad you brought this up. Ive been running no lights on my rear plate for over a year now...b/c I keep forgetting to add light. I ardently await others suggestions. :)

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
I looked for a link but couldn't find the listing. I think I have photos of it on my home PC, in a couple hours I might be able to come up with it. You would need to fab a bracket, I used scrap aluminum.

Nevermind I found the link:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline-LED-Utility-Strip-Light-White/16606419

Thanks! I just ordered one to be delivered to my local store. I'll pick it up when I head home on Tuesday. I think I'm going to reuse the chrome plastic from the light that is currently dying. We'll see how that turns out. If that doesn't work, I'll cut and bend a bracket out of aluminum.

Last edited:

Airmapper

First Fill-Up (of many)
Cool, I think it will work for you. It looks really cool, nice bright white with a hint of blue tint.

Can't go wrong with it, if you can't make it work for a license light, it's good for other stuff. I am tempted to buy like 6 of them for projects I've yet to think of.