Jack Stilts' Build - 2002 ABT (Armored Baby Transport)

Jack Stilts

Skid Plates
Year: 2002
Make: Nissan
Model: Xterra
Trim: XE
Transmission: Automatic 4x4
Color: Silver
Edition: X-Wing Squadron
Codename: The Terradactyl / ABT
Pilot: Brian

Mods:

[x] K&N filter / trim repainted
[x] Rear sway bar, side rails, and resonators removed
[x] CB radio / LOBO / custom headliner / stereo upgrade
[x] Gobi ladder / Thule crossbars / ARB 1250 awning / LabRak mount
[x] Xoskel lightcage & LED bar
[x] Xoskel rear bar with CHMSL & Hanma LEDs / alley lights
[X] RLC armor - front bumper with PIAA yellow fogs & PIAA 540 driving lights, rear bumper with tire carrier
[x] Rock sliders & OEM mud flaps
[x] Safari snorkel
[x] Rear differential breather mod / rear hatch raiser mod
[x] Quest alternator / Supercharged radiator
[x] Total Chaos steering system upgrade
[x] 3" suspension lift
[x] Desert Runner wheels with 32" BFGs

up_zpsf5aa421f.jpg
191918.png

Quick Reference

May 2012 / 83,000 miles
Dealership work- Safety inspection, fuel air induction service, A/C / in-cabin filter replaced, brake fluid flush, power steering fluid flush, transmission fluid flush.
Replaced under recall / warranty- Fuel sender unit, steering shaft, rear set belt assembly, axle sensor.

July 2012 / 87,000 miles
Regular oil change / oil filter.

September 2012 / 90,000 miles
New tires - BFG Rugged Terrain 265/70R16.
Alignment.

January 2013 / 95,000 miles

April 2013 / 95,500 miles
Maintenance done - Brakes, rotors, timing belt, shocks, water pump, radiator / cooling / heating hoses, thermostat, PCV valve, spark plugs & wires, distributor cap.
Alignment / tire rotation.

May 2013 / 100,000 miles
Added - sliders, hatch strut, headlight stalk, snorkel, radiator, rear differential breather, bumpers, LEDs.
Replaced - headlight bulbs, alternator, sway bar bolts.
Synthetic oil change / oil filter.

September 2013 / 105,000 miles
Tire rotation.

January 2014 / 105,000 miles
Synthetic oil change / oil filter.

May 2014 / 106,000 miles
Replaced - marker lights (LED), stereo (Pioneer), power steering pump, starter.

September 2014 / 110,000 miles
Replaced - steering gear box. Centerlink, idler arm, pitman arm, tie rod assemblies and ider arm brace installed.

December 2014 / 111,000 miles
Parts replaced - Upper control arms, ball joints, Bilstein shocks, torsion bars, leaf spring pack added. LED light bar installed.
New tires - BFG All-Terrain KO 32x11.5 R15.
Synthetic oil change.

November 2015 / 112,000 miles
Car seat mod, mud flaps installed, master cylinder replaced, alternator harness replaced.
New battery & alternator.

February 2016 / 113,000 miles
Yellow H3 bulbs in PIAA fog lights, Thule crossbars, LabRak awning mount, PIAA 540 driving lights.

March 2016 / 114,000 miles
Synthetic oil change / filter, four wheel alignment, tire rotation, seafoam treatment, new spark plugs.

September 2016 / 120,000 miles
Synthetic oil change / filter.

December 2016 / 120,500 miles
Fuel filter replaced.

Terradactyl V1 (2012)

blizzard_zps3eb474e4.jpg

Terradactyl V2 (2013)

DSCN6401_zpsa6571d57.jpg

Terradactyl V3 (2014-2015)

IMG_20150717_162016_hdr_zpsd16aab8c.jpg

Terradactyl V4 (2015-2016)

IMG_20160528_2007311_zpsh4zamjqg.jpg

The Terradactyl, from the beginning:

I initially wanted a Ford Ranger, but because this was going to be my daily driver and knowing that I have a growing family, the poor excuse for a backseat in the Ranger just wouldn’t cut it. Started looking at the Sport Tracs, but that just wasn’t doing it for me, either. I remembered the Xterra from a few years back, and that I’ve wanted one since I first saw one when I was about 15. Must have been the ’02 model. This thing pretty much covered everything I needed – daily driver, ample space for people & stuff, and with my off-roading experience, it was a perfect fit.

Found the perfect one in Florida – a 2002 XE 4x4 with 80K miles – so I flew down from Michigan and drove her back home.

brandnew_zps7a5b4f3b.jpg

As soon as I got back, I drove up to northern Michigan's ORV trails and found out what it was capable of.

powerline_zpsca5fbe75.jpg

That year, I did a few things (including survival of Windrock / Coal Creek at nXm2).

nmx2_zpseb69c23e.jpg

I like the stock look of this truck, so any mod I do will be trying to keep that mindset of keeping things clean-cut with that OEM feel. The Terradactyl is my ZRUV – Zombie Response Utility Vehicle; my adventure-mobile, my daily driver, and I will drive it until it dies (and then I’ll revive it and drive it some more!)

Last edited:

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Aww no B&M eh... I kid.. Looks greta man... Watch out though the Mod bug is hard on the wallet

Timrich

Super Duper Moderator
Founding Member
Looks great Brian! Looking forward to the pics once you get your lift on. :D

Sent from my Galaxy S III

CrazySteve911

Need Bigger Tires
Have you gotten your lights for the lightbar yet? Been thinking about ordering that same lightbar and the lowpro one for the backup lights.

Jack Stilts

Skid Plates
Thanks guys.

Have you gotten your lights for the lightbar yet? Been thinking about ordering that same lightbar and the lowpro one for the backup lights.

Nope, I needed to bump them down my priority list. Shocks & stuff were more important.

I'll be ordering the PIAA 520 driving light kit (2 lights) and the PIAA 510 fog light kit (2 lights). I'm also contemplating getting four of the 1500 series back-up lamps with the Xoskel rear bar.

Jack Stilts

Skid Plates
Finally...

The PML is finally complete.

Before & after:

Untitled_zpsc066441f.jpg

Only took 1.5 hours. I severely over-analyzed this project. Once it was up in the air, it was cake (although I have to give credit to robcarync for such a descriptive & helpful write-up).

Gained a little bit in the front, but the noticeable difference is obviously in the rear. I'd like to pick up some low-profile bump stops and crank the t-bars some more. Not sure why I didn't think about that before starting the project, but it's no biggie.
I was going to get up to go get an alignment & tire rotation, but watching my leopard gecko lick his eyeballs is far more entertaining :hihi:

Jack Stilts

Skid Plates
Thanks guys! Already have my next project set up and ready to roll. Bolts are being PB blasted at the moment.

Watch out man.. your going to be riding high at nXm3 :)

Haha I don't know about that...this is all the lift I want.

...which is what I'm sure everyone says until they find themselves ordering body pucks and 33's :yuck: D@mn mod bug!

Jmac289gt

Sliders
Founding Member
Really good start but im like everyone else, once you start it is real hard to stop. I have been at a stand still for a while but that is about to change again.

Jack Stilts

Skid Plates
Well I got the BL and PML done.. Now I don't want 33s.. In want 35-37s on an SAS..

Truck looks good, can't wait to see you out at NXM

Thanks dude. I thought about going big like that, the BL and 33's and all that. But I think my X is leaning more towards an overlanding / camping / zombie out-running rig than anything else.
Although an X with a SAS does look killer...and I could just crawl over some of the rich boys in BMWs around here.

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Thanks dude. I thought about going big like that, the BL and 33's and all that. But I think my X is leaning more towards an overlanding / camping / zombie out-running rig than anything else.
Although an X with a SAS does look killer...and I could just crawl over some of the rich boys in BMWs around here.

I'm going overland crawler as well. I'm interested in what you do with your truck

Jack Stilts

Skid Plates
I think I’m leaning more towards a suspension lift than a body lift (there’s a pun in there somewhere…suspension…leaning…). I want to level out my rake. Right now it’s a 2” difference from front to rear, and if I just pop some UCAs on there, I’ll be golden. Debating the AALs…we’ll see.

Anyway, time for another update!
Spent my entire weekend at the shop with the Terradactyl, and got a ton of things knocked out.

• Timing belt
  • Water pump
  • Hoses – radiator, cooling, heating
  • Thermostat
  • PCV valve
  • Spark plugs & wires
  • Distributor cap
  • All seals
  • Power steering leak – pitman seal kit
  • Front & rear Bilsteins
  • Idler arm brace
  • Brakes & rotors
  • Cleaned & repacked wheel hubs
  • CB antenna mount
Apologies in advance for any dizziness caused by blurry pictures. I forgot to bring my good camera.

Pre-project

Hoisted.

IAB installed.

Point of no return.

Shocks – out with the old…

…and in with the blues.

CB antenna mount installed.

Post-project.

See ya, old crap.

Summary:
Hours – 16 Saturday / 7 Sunday
Trips to AutoZone – 4
Attempts to find the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] plug – 9,999,999
Sandwiches – 3
Cups of coffee - 13

*Note – the hours put into this project included a very patient mechanic & engineer who were kind enough to teach me and explain everything to me as we went along (hence the amount of time taken). Not only did I gain a massive amount of knowledge about the X, but I also saved $1,900 by not taking it to the dealership. Also, having access to a full garage, a hoist, and air tools made everything go pretty smooth.

A big thank you to everyone on XN or CX that had a write-up or any relevant information on the items in that list. I did a ton of research and took a million notes so we would run into as few issues as possible.

So many things were improved / replaced that it feels like a brand new truck. Ride is much smoother with the Bils, engine is stronger after the belts & pump, steering is more confident with the IAB and power steering fix, and stopping distance has improved with the brakes & rotors. Like everyone says – it’s night and day.

Queue Johnny Nash!

[video=youtube;8ZzVFfDB9SM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZzVFfDB9SM[/video]

Cruised out of that facility with this song playing in my head.

/update.

Last edited:

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Great job man..

I'm due a belt change too..

As goofy as this sounds.. It makes you feel better knowing you did this your self too

Jack Stilts

Skid Plates
The DIY Snorkel

ProsCons
Preparedness; adventure-ready
Michigan = not a huge flood area / chance for a river crossing
Easy to do & cheap"What's that gutter coming out of your hood?"
It's a snorkelIt's a snorkel
Rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it "Nice Jeep."