2004 Mild Adventure Build

SKAVYNGR

Need Bigger Tires
2004 VG33ER 3.3 Supercharged

• 8 years in the making and running strong
• Driven from Kentucky to Montana and back. (5000 miles give or take)
• Ever since middle school, my dream vehicle was just "a black Xterra".

ARMOR:
- ARB Safari Bumper (2014)
- White Knuckle Off Road Sliders (2012/13)
- Hardcore Offroad Bumper w/Rear Tire Carrier (2016)

TIRES/RIMS:
- 32x11.5x15 - BF Goodrich KO2s (2016)
- Desert Runners (2016)

SUSPENSION/LIFT:
- 2.5 Rancho Suspension Lift (2012/13)

LIGHTING:

- 4 Hella 500s (55W per)
- 2x PIAA 520 (100w)
- Yellow Filters for less eye strain

STORAGE:
- Lobo Rack
- GOBI Stealth Roof Rack w/ladder
- GOBI Sun Roof Insert
- RIGID Boxes

MISC. MODS/EQUIPMENT:
- Painted Plastics, Grill
- Door Vents/Visors
- Stubby Antennae
- 5 Gallon Fuel Can
- 5 Gallon Water Can
- CB Radio
- Roofrack Netting from Safari Nets
- Quickfist Axe/Shovel Mount
- Limb Risers
- ARB Diff Breather (Mid 2016)

FUTURE MODS:
- Winch
- Skids
- Locker of some sort
- Cell Phone Booster
- Snorkel
- Shovel, & Hi-Lift
- Roof Top Tent
- Storage Boxes/Drawers
- Switch bumper mounted lights to something... bigger & brighter

MAINTENANCE:
- Mass Airflow Sensor & Housing Unit Replaced - 96K (Jan. 2017)
- Fuel Filter - 96K (Dec. 2016)
- Timing Belt Replacement - 95K (Nov. 2016)
- Distributor - 95K (Nov. 2016)
- Oil Change - 94K (June 2016)

First Day Bought/NOV. 12TH 2008

OnKiyXSdYwhzCBTxhUuu95k8jgVN1X8lBNX9jE1sfTdoI5pPYnjhRV1d3knmUr0Qz8fRBppTi_EYBCs953ghQEKgQGn2xVPOpvaec4plttjuERt8VpKe9sfLnmsr4Q1tT7peEhyO

Where we're at, as of 15 JAN 2017:
DsDTjfgTLBNaxpfb2CiOKei2-9bAls0sFSGJYJ-mwIc-jq9F77LA4lhhpaHHXjRyGiNwaH1QadWBCuMxdGeIDlWzg99yYbdJsVcG9NzvRcVb-CiXxXqhntWGgqdjBAa6udm9JhcO

Last edited:
Hey man... Good to see you on here.. I have been following you on Instagram for a bit... Love the truck! I used to have a 04 SC.. Just got an 06 but I miss the old girl! Keep up the sweet mods and let me know if you ever need a deal o the overland equipment...

SKAVYNGR

Need Bigger Tires
Hey man... Good to see you on here.. I have been following you on Instagram for a bit... Love the truck! I used to have a 04 SC.. Just got an 06 but I miss the old girl! Keep up the sweet mods and let me know if you ever need a deal o the overland equipment...

Thank you do much! What deal/offers can I receive? Anything for storage?

-Jonny

SKAVYNGR

Need Bigger Tires
Just put in an order for a Gobi Stealth Rack, Toolbox and ladder all for 1400. :) Pricey, but it's what i've wanted. Lights and winch will probably be the next purchase.

Xado89

Skid Plates
Awesome looking X. I like the split picture you did with the transition from Brush Guard to ARB. How are you liking those Cooper's? I still keep bouncing between what tires I want after the new year and those are one of the few I keep coming back too.

SKAVYNGR

Need Bigger Tires
The Coopers are great. I've had them for almost five years and are still in great condition. I want to eventually go down in size whenever these tires wear down. Possibly 15s, but I really want some desert runners.

But then again, I'm always contemplating. Desert Runners is what everybody wants and/or has. If I were to stick with my SC rims, I'd be a bit more diverse and stray away from the pack.

Also, on another note...
I had this amazing bumper idea. Sent it off to RLC to hopefully get a quote on it. Here's my crude photoshop sketch:

BumperIdea_zpsb4648611.jpg

I figure that I have a roof rack for a future RTT as well as storage, so I honestly don't need a tire carrier. Plus, I haven't seen anyone rock a rear bumper that doesn't have a tire carrier on it.

-Jonny

Last edited:

Slasa

Lockers Installed
The Coopers are great. I've had them for almost five years and are still in great condition. I want to eventually go down in size whenever these tires wear down. Possibly 15s, but I really want some desert runners.

But then again, I'm always contemplating. Desert Runners is what everybody wants and/or has. If I were to stick with my SC rims, I'd be a bit more diverse and stray away from the pack.

Also, on another note...
I had this amazing bumper idea. Sent it off to RLC to hopefully get a quote on it. Here's my crude photoshop sketch:

BumperIdea_zpsb4648611.jpg

I figure that I have a roof rack for a future RTT as well as storage, so I honestly don't need a tire carrier. Plus, I haven't seen anyone rock a rear bumper that doesn't have a tire carrier on it.

-Jonny

Get a rear bumper with a tire carrier!
1. It is much easier to grab the spare from there than the roof.
2. With an RTT where is your spare going? Don't say under the truck - it's even worse getting a spare out when you're buried in the muck.

There are cool options with tire carrier, hi-lift and gas can mounts all in one.

Great job on the truck and keep on modding!

Slasa

Lockers Installed
It'll be at the front of the rack whenever the RTT comes in. Do you think it'll fit?

-Jonny

I guess it depends on what size RTT you go with. A spare 31-33" tire takes up a lot of space. I ran my 33" up top for one trip and it filled the entire main section. I'm inclined to say it will be tough to fit both up top.

yellowx16

Need Bigger Tires
Founding Member
if you're getting a rear bumper built I would definitely build in a tire carrier. As slasa said there are some cool options for gas cans and such with a tire carrier. I like the model you made though, that would look good too. I like the hi lift horizontally mounted like that, that's how I have mine, and I still have room for gas cans if I want to add them.

SKAVYNGR

Need Bigger Tires
if you're getting a rear bumper built I would definitely build in a tire carrier. As slasa said there are some cool options for gas cans and such with a tire carrier. I like the model you made though, that would look good too. I like the hi lift horizontally mounted like that, that's how I have mine, and I still have room for gas cans if I want to add them.

Okay, you guys have talked me into it. I'm just trying to think of ways to stand out from the norm. It seems like everyone and their mother has a tire carrier in the back of the X.

-Jonny

SKAVYNGR

Need Bigger Tires
I guess it depends on what size RTT you go with. A spare 31-33" tire takes up a lot of space. I ran my 33" up top for one trip and it filled the entire main section. I'm inclined to say it will be tough to fit both up top.

I was thinking about that. Mounting on the bottom is definitely not a go though.

-Jonny

Tay-Lo

I'm the king of junk food!
Remember, if you get a rear bumper with out a tire carrier you'll have to keep the spare up top because you'll lose the hole to get the tire from underneath.

JesseeS

Test Drive
Hey man. Stopped on by and it's looking rad!! If you want an idea for the tire carrier, you can run it a bit longer into the plastic corners, run the bolt so that the tire carrier swing out sits on top of the bumper. That way you can keep the d rings and the location of the hi lift, but still run the tire carrier. Jerry cans should fit too if you make the tire carrier telescoping. Hopefully what Im trying to say came out right. Good luck! I'll be watching your build

SKAVYNGR

Need Bigger Tires
Hey man. Stopped on by and it's looking rad!! If you want an idea for the tire carrier, you can run it a bit longer into the plastic corners, run the bolt so that the tire carrier swing out sits on top of the bumper. That way you can keep the d rings and the location of the hi lift, but still run the tire carrier. Jerry cans should fit too if you make the tire carrier telescoping. Hopefully what Im trying to say came out right. Good luck! I'll be watching your build

I'm more of a visual guy but I think I get it, man. It'll be a swing, guess I didn't input it in the description of the bumper. Also, thanks for the compliment Jesse.

-Jonny

SKAVYNGR

Need Bigger Tires
Hey guys. Finally an update.

Bought my Gobi Stealth Rack and Ladder; both installed. Refer to the beginning of this thread (pictures) for more details.

SKAVYNGR

Need Bigger Tires
Thanks guys! It's a work in progress. Just installed the ladder, but am kind of confused as to what the last piece was. I put it away and just used the adhesive. Sadly, Gobi didn't send me my Toolbox or Sun Roof insert. I emailed them, hopefully i get a response sometime this weekend.