LED Bar Mounting Location

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Ok guys.. I gotta question. I was just gonna put this on my build but I figured it may be worth a thread. Hopefully somebody else can gain some info from this as well..

As some of y'all know, the LED bug is going around and I've been infected as well..

When I upgrade my roof lights to LED, I'm not sure where I wanna put it.. I had an idea today and I just wanted to get some opinions..

Say I get the LED light bar and I get rid of my 4 Hellas and the rack supporting them.. I also ditch the wind fairing on the aftermarket rack that has the CX sticker it.. What if I mount my LED bar there where the fairing was? Reference the pictures down below (it's the best I could do now ;))

Just imagine the light rack and wind fairing gone.. Do you think that will be an effective mounting location? It'll be pretty far back from any other location I've seen and I don't want to put that much money into a bar and it not be that effective. I may also have to weld on some tabs to mount the bar as well if it won't just bolt straight to the tubing..

What do you guys think?? Give me your opinions, good or bad! (Don't make fun of my wiring either! ;) I rushed it!)

66EC716F-CECE-45E6-AF08-4F1E0A1C14D0_zpsgous9ux2.jpg

4635EA41-C35B-4562-9840-94FBA51C617A_zpsfzkos1ov.jpg

99CB984C-C43B-4DCD-981C-87A154F3FB89_zpspeqnp4q3.jpg

Tay-Lo

I'm the king of junk food!
Thats basically where the mount Dan sells puts it.....

PHOTO_20140108_143701_zpsc09ff7c6.jpg

And your wiring isn't to far off from mine...didn't want to cut a hole...
PHOTO_20131215_140307_zpsf1bfa165.jpg

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
That is a pretty similar location.. Does the light seem to do pretty good up there? Also, how's the glare? I was thinking with it being up a little higher it may help with the glare..

Xterrafauss

Suspension Lift
Don't cut a hole!! Just saying.

As for the mount I think that would be a good spot to put it. But the mount you will have I make/buy depends on the bar you buy.

Do you know what size and what brand you want?

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Yeah when I wire the LEDs I plan on doing just like the Hellas only cleaner. Probably using some coax.

I'm completely open to the bar I want.. I've been looking at the Tuff LEDs on Amazon.. I'm cheap ;) haha. But they do have good reviews and I honestly won't be using the top bar TOO much haha.

Edit: And size I'm not sure on either.. I haven't got up there with a tape measure... yet haha

Sidenote, when I switch my Hellas on the bumper, I'll probably go Ironman.

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
Casey, I am in the exact same situation where I have a light bar VERY similar to yours and I am wanting to go with LEDs. Now, I have another option to present to you which will be the route I will be going... What about modifying your current light rack to fit an LED bar? Just cut the tabs off your current bar where the Hellas mount and then find the widest bar you can to fit inside the area and either drill holes in the upper tube for the LED mounting points or weld on some new tabs for mounting points.

There are some big advantages to going this route:
1. The bar sticks farther forward and sits higher making it more effective
2. The light rack can provide some protection for the LEDs

Just a thought.

Tay-Lo

I'm the king of junk food!
That is a pretty similar location.. Does the light seem to do pretty good up there? Also, how's the glare? I was thinking with it being up a little higher it may help with the glare..

Well the factory fairing seems to block a little bit of the light from the bottom of the bar, which is actually a good thing because I see NO light directly on the hood. That was a big worry of mine. But I do have a sunroof and even with the cover on a fair bit of light gets in the X around the edges, you dont have a sunroof so this wouldnt be an issue for you though.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Casey, I am in the exact same situation where I have a light bar VERY similar to yours and I am wanting to go with LEDs. Now, I have another option to present to you which will be the route I will be going... What about modifying your current light rack to fit an LED bar? Just cut the tabs off your current bar where the Hellas mount and then find the widest bar you can to fit inside the area and either drill holes in the upper tube for the LED mounting points or weld on some new tabs for mounting points.

There are some big advantages to going this route:
1. The bar sticks farther forward and sits higher making it more effective
2. The light rack can provide some protection for the LEDs

Just a thought.

See with yours (looking at your sig picture) you just have 1 bar going across that the lights mount on. I have two, creating a gap. I've thought about that, but the only thing is that I think it would look weird with a skinny LED bar in about a seven inch tall gap or so.

Probably a way to solve the weirdness would be to mount two light bars, one on the bottom bar and one on the top. But.. Like I said, I'm cheap ;) haha. But who knows.. If I find a good deal on two of the same bars.. It wouldn't be a bad option..

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
not sure if shameless plug or friendly suggestion:zomg:

casey of you start trying to weld to the rack, just remember its aluminum. I thought I had aluminum wire in my welder one time and it wasnt aluminum, needless to say the thing I was welding was pretty instantly ruined in the form of a massive hole.

I'm pretty sure it was a shameless plug ;) haha!

But Jeromy, are you talking about welding to the top rack?

And thank you, Tay-Lo!

yellowx16

Need Bigger Tires
Founding Member
Casey, if I was you I would take off the bar you bought from me if you're going led...especially with the divider things in between the lights. I think a bar mounted towards the top of the rack without a noticeable mount would look nice and clean, that's essentially my plan when I get my led bar as well.

556Tactical

First Fill-Up (of many)
I'm going led. Im going to get as low to the windshield as possible by using a rigid industries cradle. So I should be able to extend a little past the bars without having limbs sticking out