DJQuin's Method to the Modness build

DJQuin

First Fill-Up (of many)
You're tellin' me brother.... I should've painted first and then lifted and put tires on. That roof is HIGH and my arms HURT.

DJQuin

First Fill-Up (of many)
Thank ya sir! I'm actually excited to see it in the daylight myself... I was gonna do the PML tomorrow... that's probably not gonna happen... lol.

DJQuin

First Fill-Up (of many)
Thanks Guys! Prime, I've seen plenty of bad ones myself, mostly from people who "rattle-can" and don't put down enough spray. This dip was done with an HVLP sprayer with adjustable volume and pattern, so I think that contributed heavily to the quality of the outcome. I will be doing an info post about lessons learned specific to the X, but there are already plenty of "how-to's" out there on dipping. Here are the pics!

And finally, a comparison shot from the day I got it, to today:

Last edited:

DJQuin

First Fill-Up (of many)
Next is the PML and, from the sound of the $%*&#! wear indicators that started playing me the song of their people today... new brakes.

Xterrafauss

Suspension Lift
Golf clap? Golf clap.

Blaaaaakkkkeeeee?!

You raaannnggggggg?

Men-at-work-Golf-Clap-Short-Charlie-Sheen-and-Emilio-Estevez.gif

El Robot

Bought an X
Highly Highly impressed with this dip process you've done. I'll be following this, and I'm curious as to the longevitey so keep this thread updated!

xterraminator

Wheeling
That looks soooo good. I have plans on doing it myself but just hesitant in how strong the bonding is to old paint is. I assume you had to surface prep the old stock paint an get rid of the shine? I am sure your going to create a thread on how to do this. You sure that is your old stock truck from the lot??? Not even close to being the same. Now its a mad max truck!

stevencox93

First Fill-Up (of many)
That looks soooo good. I have plans on doing it myself but just hesitant in how strong the bonding is to old paint is. I assume you had to surface prep the old stock paint an get rid of the shine? I am sure your going to create a thread on how to do this. You sure that is your old stock truck from the lot??? Not even close to being the same. Now its a mad max truck!
As far as I know you don't have to prep the surface because its just a rubber coating you put over the paint that isn't meant to be permanent because you can peel it off when you want a different color or if you tear it so I wouldn't see a need in scuffing the shine off which is the clear coat just to apply the Plasti Dip

DJQuin

First Fill-Up (of many)
Once again, thanking everyone for the kind words on the dip!

The bonding strength is fantastic as long as the surface is CLEAN, you don't want to scuff or damage the paint/clear coat in any way. I want to do a thread on how to do this, I just need the time to put together all my photos and such. If you are considering doing this in the meantime though, feel free to PM me any questions you might have. Mostly it will just be X specific tips, since there are plenty of vids out there on how to do this. I used the kit from dipyourcar.com and I also highly recommend subscribing to their YouTube Channel. I'm including two links to a couple of DYC and Fonzie's videos that sound like they might interest you:

Restore Bad Car Paint with Plasti-Dip:
[video=youtube;TKWVHYEvkZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKWVHYEvkZQ[/video]

Peeling Plasti-Dip off a Whole Car (Since you were asking about bonding strength):
[video=youtube;0r7xvBSqhOE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r7xvBSqhOE[/video]

If anyone has any specific X questions, please feel free to PM me.