"Hood Riser" Mod

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
This was brought to my attention the other day by Tucker (Roadwarrior) and I had to do it to mine. Not sure if it was his idea or someone else's. We'll find that out and give credit where's it's due.

Even though it's pretty straightforward, I figured I'd do a write up and tell you guys what you'll need and some tips. Here's the final product.. (Yours may vary depending on how many washers you use)

692EAD02-8A95-4EEB-AFF5-D3FEDAC61DD4_zpsz3nbr6ww.jpg

Hardware you'll need:

4 - M8 x 1.25 x 30 bolts

1/4 flat washers (the number of depending on how high you want to go)

Let's go!

Step 1: Know where you're working. Below is the passenger side. The hood is held on to the hinge by two 12MM bolts on each side.

BF610A55-3947-44EE-AE0F-AB64A7784673_zpsh67k4yhb.jpg

Step 2: First, remove the bolt closest to the front of your X. Once it's removed, back the other one off about half way.

Step 3: Next, stuff the washers into the gap. (The amount of washers is totally up to you! I went with 5 and I believe Tucker has 8 in his. It just depends on what you like and also, the thickness of the washers). You can play with the tightness of the bolt closest to the windshield to affect the gap size.

95CA2F43-F63E-42A1-9D15-BFE9FEB9ABE0_zpsny2rmpi9.jpg

Step 4: Once the washers are in place, slide the new bolt in and finger tighten it. You won't be able to tighten it all the way because of the angle between the hood and hinge. Once the bolt with the washers is snugged in, start backing off the other bolt.

Step 5: Once the bolt closest to the windshield is out, put the washers in place and send the new bolt through it. You'll now be able to tighten both bolts completely.

18F39FCF-A555-4F57-B3D3-05C8C248A69D_zpszakqp2gj.jpg

You're half way done! Just repeat the steps on the other side and your hood will be raised!!

Just some tips.. If you plan on doing this by yourself, like I did, be sure to keep the bolts on the opposite side you're working on TIGHT. Also, be sure to put your washers on the right side of the hinge and don't be a dummy like I was the first time ;)

Alright guys, if you have any questions, comments, concerns... Just let me know!

Tay-Lo

I'm the king of junk food!
Ah ok I was wondering the point of this......didn't know if it was an arrow dynamic thing or to make more room inside.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Mine already sets wonky as it is, you shoulda put some 2 inch blocks in.

I'd say that would be a little more sturdy but those washers were so tight on the bolt, I actually had to thread one on like a nut. There's not gonna be a lot of wiggle room in there..

Seen it done on other vehicles.
Not sure if it will make much difference on a vehicle that doesn't have over temp issues but it certainly won't hurt.

Yeah, I'm very interested to see if I will be able to see a difference.

Intender

Wheeling
another thing you can do to help it vent better is to remove the rubber strip that runs along the plastic fairing to seal along the back of the hood closest to the windshield. I took mine out a couple of years ago, mostly because it was rotten and falling apart.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Yeah my hood is sitting about an inch above it right now. If I took that off that could probably gain me another inch or so in clearance

Creepy Cruiser

Sliders
Site Sponsor
Founding Member
Lol, brings me back to the 80's when we used you do that to our race cars and to our VW Bugs. It's funny how it's becoming back in style again.

Creepy Cruiser

Sliders
Site Sponsor
Founding Member
I've seen this on a bunch of ricers in my town. Figured it was an import thing I didn't understand.

Yep, back in the 80's in California, it was an import thing. American car guys though it was stupid, lol. It originally came from the VW guys, trying to keep their air cooled bugs cool in the California heat.

ricks%20vvvw%20005%20(Small).jpg

Last edited:

rawkerstatus

Bought an X
Founding Member
yea seen this done on a bunch of other vehicles. supposedly it does work. quick question. any one know what the normal operating temp is on the 1st gens? i'm running around 190 to 205 on warm days.

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
yea seen this done on a bunch of other vehicles. supposedly it does work. quick question. any one know what the normal operating temp is on the 1st gens? i'm running around 190 to 205 on warm days.

Approx 200* with the stock radiator, and closer to 190* with the SC

Sent via wild ferrets on crack

Scott Peele

Bought an X
Makes it look like the hood is not fit or aligned properly. Next thing you know we will see a write up on how to put LED lights on the windshield washer nozzles.

obi_krash

Suspension Lift
I have been eyeing this thread, thought it was for how to add the bars to lift the hood. Like, the back hatch.

nevermind, however, learned something new to do

xterror04

Site sponsor
Founding Member
the needle runs roughly in the middle.

This mod lowered my temp around 4 degrees, but when my Efan kicked on it helped a lot of hot air to escape faster... The look may not be for everyone but it works..

The factory temp gauge isn't very sensative... It knows cold running and hot... You can literally have a 40 degree temp difference and it doesn't move