Founding Member
Username: gorillamel
Year: 2008
Make: Jeep
Model: Wrangler
Trim: Rubicon (2-door)
Color: Forest Green
Mileage: 77,147 (when purchased)
Pinterest ideas page: http://www.pinterest.com/gorillamel/modding-ideas-jeep-wrangler-jk/
Jeep Forum page: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/gorillamels-2008-rubi-2448201/

Sold the X to pay off car loan for parent's car. Then realized the 2013 Fiat 500 S did not properly suit my lifestyle. Therefore, I traded it in for this:
file.php

038dbf4f-0556-4a4f-a494-a204ecfc388f_zpsd2be2471.jpg

I made it into my work parking garage all on my own!

I feel my Xterra/Nissan friends are more akin to my brethren than most Jeep people. I plan to stick around on here and update everyone with my newly purchased black sheep. This is the first manual transmission I have ever owned, which means driving it can certainly be full of laughs and grinding gears.

I do not plan to do any heavy wheeling with this rig until I learn to comfortably drive it, hahaha. -->Note: since I took it to Moab May 2014, I think I can now say that I have learned to drive it, hahaha!

Polyperformance Front Track bar bracket (BEEFY!)
10376836_738637597603_5421830902393300440_n.jpg

Rubicon Express Rear Brake line bracket
10411144_738637647503_7552223755408379718_n.jpg

MODS

Suspension:
-2" spacers all around
- JKU springs all around
-Some unknown brand of shocks
-Polyperformance front & rear track bar bracket
-Terraflex track bar
-(to be installed) Polyperformance high steer kit with tie rod end adapter
-Rubicon Express rear brake line bracket

Tires/Wheels & Armor:
-285/70/17 Maxxis Bighorn MT-762
-Spare (mounted on rear) 255/75/17 BF Goodrich
-Stock skids
-Stock sliders/rails
-AEV front bumper w/ winch plate, stock fogs

Electrical, Powertrain & Driveline:
-8000lb WARN winch
-(2) IPF Driving lights (mounted on front bumper)
-Front and rear Dana 44 axles
-Front and rear tru-lok e-lockers
-Electronic sway bar disconnect
-4.1 gear ratio (crawl ratio in 4lo is 73.3:1)

Interior:
-Flip switch mounted on dash for driving lights
-Midland WX1001(?) CB (mounted next to stick shift on passenger side)
-fire extinguisher
-rubber floor mats
-rear seats removed

Suspension components (that I got for free)
10252082_732577107873_1979432724125058272_n.jpg

Front bumper/winch (w/some Moab mud)
10365957_737576154743_3273257728536419666_n.jpg

Installing front springs/shocks:
10363485_735743073253_2696635353508915684_n.jpg

Rear cargo area with goodies from Brown Santa!:
10320362_738167814053_7764950346848471027_n.jpg

Other Accoutrements:
-Shovel w/ bedlined handle
-Hi-Lift and tire adapter
-SOGfari Survival set (machete, knife, hatchet, shovel/pick)
-Yellow galoshes
-various other survival necessities
-cheapo air compressor
-survival gear in Plano sportsman trunk
-Mossan nagant WWII rifle w/ ammo
-Roller derby gear

Future Mods:
-Tire Carrier w/ Gas can mounts (OR-Fab)
-Extend rock rails to sliders
-Roof Rack (prefer Gobi, but too expensive. Probably Kurgo)
-kayak roof bars
-Bestop soft top
-Bluesea fuse distributor
-More lights
-replace missing Rubicon stickers??

Testing out the winch while getting stuck in snow in the mtns
10150701_729806829533_9025249560361737925_n.jpg

Other uses for a 2-door Jeep:
10255114_730962723113_7740671780945679556_n.jpg

Last edited:

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Updated 05.27.14

The rear bumper set I get to have someday...(on my friend's Jeep)
1468786_735636945933_6608690748234824844_n.jpg

Video from civicjoe @Cameo Cliffs, goneMOAB 2014
[video]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100358181473654[/video]

Top of the World, goneMOAB 2014
10309512_738118567743_7140731913717474451_n.jpg

Silver Crack, Seven Mile Rim, goneMOAB 2014
1526179_793193210691463_3584946547572589824_n.jpg

Wipeout Hill, Seven Mile Rim, goneMOAB 2014**
10251981_793191094025008_5577142257148736216_n.jpg

**Note this was my first foray into off road driving in my newly learned manual transmission :p

Video of me doing Wipeout Hill from my perspective. (warning: it's painful to watch)
[video=youtube_share;oWRdsdakW_E]http://youtu.be/oWRdsdakW_E[/video]

Cameo Cliffs, winching Kuma
10365648_737883598623_9021444591298292652_o.jpg

Last edited:

Slasa

Lockers Installed
Wow, Mel. Congrats on the new ride! You know we hate to see another X bite the dust but glad to see you stick around!

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Oooo yes, that's it! I looked at various other Jeep parts websites and was frankly a bit overwhelmed. Thank you. :) I am thinking I have those IPF lights, too, just without the cover guards.

I really know very little about Jeeps, much less Rubicons. I will definitely have to hop on that learning curve...after I learn to drive it comfortably, bwahahaha!

Davcos

Wheeling
Founding Member
No problem, I was pretty certain I knew what make it was as soon as I seen it,been a big fan of the JK since it first came out and over the years ive learned a lot about them and seen just about everything aftermarket for them lol.
Also,if you ever want to run a 50" LED bar.. The rough country mounts ($99) will work with the cheaper light bars (totron,hanma etc.)

MadMike

First Fill-Up (of many)
Congrats on the Heep Mel. Totally jealous of that bumper and winch setup, that's what I would have got for my rubi if they weren't so darn expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
^Thanks! I did not realize the bumper type until today and now it simply tells me how much more of a screamin' deal I got on the rig at the dealership, haha!

I read through your rig profile and it reminded me of things I forgot to add on mine about stock Rubis- thanks again. :)
We need to get window decals for us former X owners, now Rubi owners, haha!

No problem, I was pretty certain I knew what make it was as soon as I seen it,been a big fan of the JK since it first came out and over the years ive learned a lot about them and seen just about everything aftermarket for them lol.
Also,if you ever want to run a 50" LED bar.. The rough country mounts ($99) will work with the cheaper light bars (totron,hanma etc.)

Dang! Well, now I know who on here to refer to for ideas, haha.

Xado89

Skid Plates
Congrats on the new ride! Looks sweet! One thing it's you may want to save for tires. My cousin has those on his lj and he didn't even get like 6 months out of them before they wrote down substantially. Just a heads up! I'm jealous you got a sick shift. My dream is to find an old bronco or k5 with a manual transmission in it.

Sent through an exorcism and salt flavored shotgun shells.

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
The tires look to have about 75% tread left on them. Since they are wider than stock, they do rub a bit if I turn sharply enough. I'm pretty happy with the overall set up for now. Aside from the minor things I listed on the first post, I am hoping to not spend too much money modding it. I want to save up to buy a house, haha.

I'm getting better at the manual each time I drive it. I took it on the busiest road in the state of Idaho yesterday and only stalled once on an uphill stoplight that I had red. Woooo! Could not make it into our secure parking garage at work. The gate kept coming down too soon for me to get up the ramp after scanning in my key card. Whoops! I had a coworker who has a 2013 Rubi drive it in there for me, laughing the whole way. :p

MadMike

First Fill-Up (of many)
You'll adjust :). At least once you start wheeling you'll have the hill start assist to help you out a little bit (though it freaked me out a bit when I first started driving my rubi).

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Congrats on the Rubi! The AEV stuff is nice. Total score there.

You'll adjust :). At least once you start wheeling you'll have the hill start assist to help you out a little bit (though it freaked me out a bit when I first started driving my rubi).

Yeah, my business partner has a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon. That hill start assist annoys me. As someone who has driven a manual for almost 20 years, I don't need the computer telling me how to drive. I stall that thing at least once every time I drive it.

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
No worries, the Hill Assist start was not installed in Rubis until the 2009 model. So I don't have it. My friend practiced with me on hill starts and he showed me some pointers to keep in mind. I stalled it a few times at a red to green light. Full stops to starts are still a bit tricky for me. With more practice I'm sure I'll master it soon enough. I did manage to make into our parking garage today!

Proof:
unybeza9.jpg

Last edited:

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
I'm debating on having some sort of "rebel" type symbol on my rig. I have been considering the Star Wars Rebel Alliance:
star_wars_rebel_alliance_symbol_wp_by_chaomanceromega-d55umar.png

Or the Mockingjay from the Hunger Games:
hungergames.jpg

Or the Deathly Hallows symbol from Harry Potter:
MaO7Xci.jpg

Or a combination of HP and HG:
aawesomenesss.jpg

Or, simply since I am a nerd and have a soft spot in my heart for Warhammer 40K, there is the Aquila symbolizing the Imperium of Man:
1000px-Aquila_transparent.png

And, just because I love The Dark Crystal so much, I had to include it in here (although I realize it is too detailed to ever make a good decal):
spiral-big.jpg

What do you all think?

civicjoe

lone wolf mod
Founding Member
I hate to say it, but there is a huge problem with this Jeep, aside from its a Jeep.

Its stickerless!

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
In the mean time, i learned what a PITA adjusting the parking brake is on a newer Rubi...

uploadfromtaptalk1395532128468.jpg
Rear end up. Wheel off.

uploadfromtaptalk1395532177277.jpg
Forward facing. Parking brake shoe is in the drum.

uploadfromtaptalk1395532227879.jpg
Those large bolts near center of pic on rightmost side of caliper...yup, 11/32 size. Barely got 18mm to fit on them. Grrrrr...

a6amypav.jpg

Need to replace parking brake shoes. Totally worn down. No parts store has a set in. Ordered. Will do project next week.
Tightened (expanded) the shoes for now so theres at least some friction for the brake.

dugyry4e.jpg

Rear looking forward. Need to finish the skid set.

ny4ypa5e.jpg

Then i removed the rear seat and shoved all my stuff forward. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Ahh, here she is..

IF I were to buy a Heep, and IF it had to be new-ish (not CJ7 or 5), I'd buy a Rubi strictly for the lockers. But that's a lot of ifs.

SO....I'm still jealous of the factory e-lockers front and rear, and that color. You stole it from that dealer, as you know. ;)

I've driven an manual transmission most of my life. Learned when I was 13, and the only vehicle I've ever owned that was an auto was my Pathfinder, and I sold it for the X. My suggestions to you- DON'T OVER THINK ON STARTS! That's when you stall the most. Keep your brain out of the whole thing and just "feel" it, yaknow?

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Thanks on the advice. You are 100% correct- I overthink starts. I've gotten better at traffic lights, but I still slightly dread being first in line and not getting the timing right.

My friend described driving/shifting gears best: "Make love to it, don't F**k it." Every time I grind gears, I apologise for not making love to the Jeep, haha!

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
My friend described driving/shifting gears best: "Make love to it, don't F**k it." Every time I grind gears, I apologise for not making love to the Jeep, haha!

YES YES YES.

I taught Karen how to drive my X right after I bought it. If she can do it, anyone can do it... ;)

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
^Hahaha, glad you have faith in me. I still stall it on starts every now and then. Dang those stop signs! I have yet to go on the interstate, but I have traversed the busiest road in the whole state and taken it on the highway. Most people are surprisingly patient when I biff it on starts. Those that honk, I smile and stall again. :)

I would really like a place for a gas can carrier and have contemplated the AEV Tire Carrier which does not require an aftermarket bumper to attach to. It attaches to the frame of the Jeep, which I like. Here it is: http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/vehicle/jk-wrangler/jk-rear-bumper-tire-carrier

rearbumbper_tirecarrier_bill_4.jpg

The gas can carrier is bought separately (of course), but it fits in the tire well, which I think is cool. AEV has some really neat stuff, but dang they are expensive!

Here is what the tire carrier looks like installed on a OEM bumper:
19EF8FE8-F579-446A-8733-9BAEF27FCFBD.jpg

Last edited:

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Went to my local and preferred off road shop to see if they could fab me a roof rack so i can carry my kayak.
Roof rack mounting ideas:
Jim's Jeep

One of the fabricators at the off road shop said he would give me 4 JKU (4-door Wrangler/Unlimited) springs for free that he was going to throw out to help me do a budget lift on my 2-door.
I looked on Jeep Forum to make sure this set up would work and it will, wooo! Proof: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/stock-suspension-jkur-2-door-x-2171433/

Also installed Kurgo seat covers (mainly for dogs/ and mud, etc) which have pockets and are water resistant and decently priced, wooo!:
ujupahep.jpg

Last edited:

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Thought about removing rear bumper.
y8emygab.jpg

Then thought better of it and put it back on.
udu4u8um.jpg

Now working on replacing brake shoes in rear. And run into a problem putting one of the springs back on around the clamps. Fml.
uploadfromtaptalk1396120735829.jpg

usynuryp.jpg

Old and new.

rypu9avu.jpg

Assembly i'm trying to fit spring around.

adagupez.jpg

The new shoes w/spring attaching them but not installed.

ujabezub.jpg

The whole effing shebang!

Last edited:

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Yeah it was loads of fun (insert dripping sarcasm here). Got it done eventually.

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Finally took it off road. Got to practice hill starts. Ooph-ta! I have a lot more practicing ahead of me to get good at it. Although, throwing it in 4lo helps a lot, haha.
We've had rain, so the park was pretty muddy. Which i'm not a huge fan of. Some douchester Ford Raptor was hightailing it thru at at least 40mph and sprayed my friend and i really well. Didnt even slow down. Asshat.

uzevahed.jpg

a3yseqy3.jpg

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Finally took the Jeep out for real wheeling this weekend. I am feeling much more comfortable about driving a manual. I still need quite a bit of work on steep hill starts, but that will come with time. I burned the clutch quite a bit yesterday while on a nasty incline going over whoopty-woos (giant bumpsdirt cycles put on trails for lift off). Ha oops!

y3equvuq.jpg

This yellow Jeep will give me his former lift kit. :)

7e3y3egy.jpg

ebure2e4.jpg

Kane Springs Rd Trail goes thru wild horse territory.

A fellow off road club member will sell me his OR-Fab rear bumper this summer (this: http://www.orfab.com/details.php?Application=Jeep&Part_Number=85209&Title=JEEP WRANGLER JK SWING AWAY SPARE TIRE CARRIER WITH ROTOPAX™ CONTAINERS&Active=Yes). I'm stoked since it is the one I REALLY want. :) Another member said he will cimply give me a 2" spacer lift. When asked for how much, he said I can just have it. Yippee!

I went to a BBQ at another off road friend's house up in the mountains yesterday. Decided I didn't want to take the highway home, but to take the forest service trails that ciss cross the Boise foothills everywhere. I've been out there many times and thought nothing of it. Well, I forgot the biggest half marathon is this coming weekend on one of the trails, so I missed my turn off. Oh well, I figured I'd take the next one further up the mountain.

by8uvyba.jpg

Jeeps at the BBQ!
zapaqesu.jpg

Boise Ridge Rd (FS275) overlooking Boise at sunset

The sun is almost set and I see that my back up route has not yet opened for the season and is packed in with snow. Crap. The next option is to drive to the top of the mountain to the ski resort. I'm not a fan of this option since parts of the trail already are covered in snow and are crap to drive through. So I drive on for a good place to turn around and low and behold, I get stuck in snow up to my bumper in a ditch on the nastiest part of the trail. Great.

I'm stuck good. Nothing I do helps. I am by myself, the sun is setting and it's getting effing cold! No worries! I find my handy galoshes, hat and winter gloves and winch control. I unspool the winch and decide the best trees to use are down the other embankment thru snow up to my thighs on a steep downgrade straight down the mountain. Snow is slick as crap. Just my luck. I keep extra blankets and a long door mat in the Jeep and used the mat on the winchline in case it breaks. Wished I had a tree saver. I felt bad for that tree. I got myself free just as the sun disappeared. I had intermittent cell service and managed to sometimes text friends to let them know my location and progress. They sent out the Pinzgauer to rescue me, hahaha!

a9arabys.jpg

I already started to winch myself out bbefore I realised I should take a pic!
agyza7aj.jpg

I'm finally free! Dang snow- it's almost all the way to my side mirror!

So I turned my happy a$$ around and spent the night with a friend in the mountains after a well-deserved ribbing for driving alone in the mountains. I had to swallow my pride in that situation to ask for help and admit my faults. Granted, I got out on my own. So, on another hand, I feel slightly empowered for keeping my cool and getting out of a hairy situation on my own.

4e7edy3a.jpg

The trails in the mtns were fairly messy in places. This is the aftermath...after I washed it the day before *sigh*
suvuda5e.jpg

Crap job respooling the winch. I was cold and it was dark out. I'll fix it today and clean the line while I'm at it.
qevase7a.jpg

Lesson learned. It also emphasized to me the importance of having a good survival and recovery gear kit. I need to expand mine to make it better, including a snatch block, pull pal (so glad I had trees to winch on this time), maxtrax (or other like stuff), space for extra gas and a tree saver. I also realised I need more lights since my IPFs and regular headlights were not enough in the pitch dark curvy drop off mountain roads.

ty7y7yqa.jpg

My current set up. Had to put my gear in the Plano trunk so that I can lock it up when I take the hard top off.
3e8yzutu.jpg

Look, there's still some snow left on the Jeep when I drive back to the 70F Treasure Valley area, hahaha!

Last edited:

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Sweet! My brother just got a 98 TJ. He hasn't had a manual in almost 10 years. I'm helping him get back on the bike lol

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
At least you had a winch to pull yourself out and didn't get stranded up there.

And you deserve the scolding for wheeling alone.

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
I deserve it yes. In my mind, i was on a trail I have often been on and merely going home, not exploring. Goes to show how crap can happen when you least expect it and on trails you know well.

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Well super glad you got out ok! It really does show you how quickly a familiar trail can turn into something entirely new.

akinc

Skid Plates
I'm so happy you are using your Jeep for what it was built for and not just looking pretty and shiny like the ones in my town....... I don't mind a Jeep too much as long it's used like a Jeep...

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
^Thanks!
I see no point in owning a vehicle that has lockers and the ability to off-road and keep it on the pavement. The purpose of getting the Jeep was to continue my love of exploring and driving challenges.

I re-spooled my winch this week and cleaned the wire line a bit, too.
Also installed most of my CB. Still need to mount it where I want and replace a blown fuse before it's operational.

evegyja5.jpg

y9e5a9uh.jpg

Last edited: