Steven's new Silverado

stevencox93

First Fill-Up (of many)
So I found another repair on the Tahoe I was gonna keep and it just has my mind turning about all the repairs I may run into since all my vehicles have over 100K on them so I went and got a new vehicle to not have to worry about repairs and all that and most of all a warranty.
2014 Silverado 1500 Z71 4X4
-best part......DIFF LOCK!!!!

I don't like the chrome grille so I wanna color match it like this

2011XTERROR

Wheeling
i agree with macland that color match grill looks really cool. and nice truck man looks good. i like the suspension package on the z71.

also, does the diff lock electronically or automatically? i have a friend that has a 2006 silverado 2500 and the diff automatically locks in 4LO but there isn't a button or a way to lock it in 4HI

stevencox93

First Fill-Up (of many)
From what im told buy the dealership is that its automatic (too many buttons so im still learning new stuff everyday lol) and that it locks in as soon as you use any of the 4wd options

2011XTERROR

Wheeling
From what im told buy the dealership is that its automatic (too many buttons so im still learning new stuff everyday lol) and that it locks in as soon as you use any of the 4wd options

oh gotcha. so the moment you go in 4WD the rear diff locks?
that could be potentially not good i think? because if you do a lot of turning you don't wanna grind your rear diff...

but what do i know.

stevencox93

First Fill-Up (of many)
I know what you mean but its suppose to be like in the z71 Tahoe that tru lock type or whatever its called where can unlock when cornering and lock back in. if that made any sense

2011XTERROR

Wheeling
Oh yes I know :p Im gonna either 2.5" or 6" lift with either 33s or 35s but might just stay with 33s so I don't lose my awesome mpgs :p

lol stuck between a 2.5" and a 6" lift... there is a lot of in between there lol. with how big those wheel wells are i doubt you will hardly be able to visually see a 2.5" but idk. i say just go balls to the wall and make it 6". who cares about mpg? you may save $30 a month and you would have wasted that anyway lol :)

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Ooooo if you lift it 6" make sure to give it a giant body lift, lots of chrome and an even larger drop hitch. :p
Just kidding.
Looks like a nice truck. Congrats!

stevencox93

First Fill-Up (of many)
lol stuck between a 2.5" and a 6" lift... there is a lot of in between there lol. with how big those wheel wells are i doubt you will hardly be able to visually see a 2.5" but idk. i say just go balls to the wall and make it 6". who cares about mpg? you may save $30 a month and you would have wasted that anyway lol :)

The only reason Im not thinking 6" is because I would wanna regear to get my mpgs back but apparently with these new trucks you have to tune and program the trans and internals to tell it it has new gears and tires and that's $600 on top of the lift gears and tires whereas 2.5"-3.5" I can run 33s without the tune and lose around 1-2 mpgs

stevencox93

First Fill-Up (of many)
A little update...I've since found that I have the 3:42 gear ratio instead of the dreaded 3:08 a lot have and was really worried about that if I went to 35s.

so anyways today I took a the big step since I made my decision and purchased the Rough Country 7" lift so 35s it is

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
I know what you mean but its suppose to be like in the z71 Tahoe that tru lock type or whatever its called where can unlock when cornering and lock back in. if that made any sense

It sounds like it's a Detroit Locker. The Lokka lockers are a similar design. Eaton has been making these since the 30's. They're effective as hell in drag cars, and a lot of drag racing tech also applies off-road. I've never been off road with an auto locker, but I know a ton of guys swear by them. Supposedly they're noisy and you can feel them disengage and engage while going around corners on the road, which is why there are options out there for air lockers and electric lockers, because they have full disengagement on road. I suppose auto-lockers have come far enough that their engagement is smooth enough not to notice.

Anyway, here is a great video of how auto-lockers (Detroit Locker, Eaton No-spin, GM Tru-Lok) work:

[video=youtube;FYBOoljH-qE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYBOoljH-qE[/video]

stevencox93

First Fill-Up (of many)
How come your grille is color matched in the October pics and black now?

I decided to bedline it. It was originally chrome then I color matched it but the silver from far away looks just like the chrome and I wanted something different. I plan on bedlining both front and rear bumpers.