Timing Belt Job IN PROCESS, Question...Help needed.

XterraGT

Bought an X
Timing Belt Job Complete, Questions answered. Thx

This thread may be warranted, may be unwarranted, mods feel free to move or whatever needs done.

Started my timing belt job tonight to get a good jump on it. Ran into an issue with removing the crank bolt (imagine that). My major question is:

I have a MT. It is my understanding I just have to put that sum***** in gear and I should be able to break loose the bolt and also then properly torque it on the backside of the job. I have the motor stripped down to where I wanna break her loose and pull the pully and covers and so on and so forth. So I started soaking the bolt last night when I parked the truck in front of the garage, pulled the factory skid, and soaked it several times while organizing things in my garage to be ready so tonight I can jump start the job and be moving solid into saturday.

Fast forward to tonight, I eclipsed my goals for the evening of draining the radiator and being ready to start removing components saturday. Got it down to the covers and pulley. With wheel chocks on the rear, parking brake full on, tranny in gear, and I can still turn the motor backwards (went till the rotor was almost all the way to 6, not just a little hair). I returned it to TDC, and proceeded to move it forward but the truck catches it like it should. Am I doing something wrong here or does my clutch suck that bad? I tried 5th and 1st. Truck is facing slightly uphill with chocks on both sides of right rear tire.

I have an impact ready but didn't wanna kick the compressor on at 9PM, if I was home alone I'd care less and still be out getting PO'd I'm sure. BUT since I'm ahead of schedule I figured I'll stop and seek advice and KCCO before I get mad at her. I've had poor luck with this Husky impact in the past so I'd prefer to use a breaker bar, and prefer to not fall back on the breaker bar + starter method unless its a must.

Also is there any possible bad things by turning the motor backwards that far? My luck I managed to damage an oil pump or something...

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advanced. And the 5 pics I've taken can be seen in my build thread in sig.

-TJ

Last edited:

rokdaddy

Wheeling
Founding Member
Don't know if you've busted out the impact yet but you can also use the breaker bar against the frame trick. Once you have the breaker bar handle secured in the correct direction of rotation, all you have to do is turn the starter over a few times.

-Rok

XterraGT

Bought an X
Yeah that's what I ended up doing. My impact fell short of the job at 260 ft/lbs.

New problem is torquing the crank bolt. I bought a $100 1/2 drive digital torque wrench and it is rendered useless as even in first gear it just turns the engine against the clutch..... I lowered the setting to see how high it was getting and at 130 ft/lbs still no click... Hit it with the impact at full power over driven at 115 PSI and not turning it anymore. So not to sure what do here, try and buy a strap wrench and hold her? I have a MT I'm not supposed to struggle here! haha

XterraGT

Bought an X
I thought about it and will probably try it tomorrow, the truck catches and rolls up the wheel chock a hair but then once it cant move it just slowly turns so I think the clutch can't hold my 1 hand power!

rokdaddy

Wheeling
Founding Member
Strap wrench worked great for me; I used a big one with a belted rubber strap. Way easier than I thought it would be to get the two hundred and something ft/lbs. Be sure to pad your harmonic balancer though.

-Rok

XterraGT

Bought an X
Strap wrench worked great for me; I used a big one with a belted rubber strap. Way easier than I thought it would be to get the two hundred and something ft/lbs. Be sure to pad your harmonic balancer though.

-Rok

Sounds good. Maybe I'll go grab 1 in the morning. But torque spec is 141-156 Ft/Lbs.

rokdaddy

Wheeling
Founding Member
That seems lower than I thought but I'm sure you've done your homework. It's been a couple of years since I last tightened that one.

Good luck, sir.

-Rok

rokdaddy

Wheeling
Founding Member
Ahhh... Just checked the FSM... It's 191 to 211 Newton meters. I have digital wrenches as well so I try to stick with the primary units in the FSM.

Anything I can do to cut down on confusion is a good thing.

-Rok

XterraGT

Bought an X
That seems lower than I thought but I'm sure you've done your homework. It's been a couple of years since I last tightened that one.

Good luck, sir.

-Rok

No problem the help is definitely appreciated, even though strap wrench is on all the FAQ's. I just never got one because MT is supposed to stand for FTW. And it's cool, you caught me off guard so I pulled up the FSM real quick since it was already open on a different page. I'm paranoid enough right now. :meh:

-TJ

rokdaddy

Wheeling
Founding Member
No problem the help is definitely appreciated, even though strap wrench is on all the FAQ's. I just never got one because MT is supposed to stand for FTW. And it's cool, you caught me off guard so I pulled up the FSM real quick since it was already open on a different page. I'm paranoid enough right now. :meh:

-TJ

I prefer to call it diligence... paranoid sounds kinda psychotic.

I printed the FSM on double sided pages and bound them in big binders. Something about being able to flip through the paper pages floats my boat. I almost always have it out when I'm working so I can spot unusual or critical torque values.

-Rok

XterraGT

Bought an X
I prefer to call it diligence... paranoid sounds kinda psychotic.

I printed the FSM on double sided pages and bound them in big binders. Something about being able to flip through the paper pages floats my boat. I almost always have it out when I'm working so I can spot unusual or critical torque values.

-Rok

Very nice! I printed out the main pages I wanted and have to refer the PDF for anything else. But that is well done! Build thread updated with pics.... and a vid, from today.

Cameron23

Skid Plates
Founding Member
There is a thread with an entire tear down and rebuild complete with videos in every step on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XterraGT

Bought an X
All done. I was able to torque that bolt this morning in 5th...I think. See my build thread for a full breakdown. Thanks to anyone who helped answer some quick questions!