FJ vs XTERRA

metzican

Suspension Lift
If the FJ had a different body and field of view I would of never had gotten my X. I love my X to death. But I love Toyota and the after market is slightly better. Would I trade now no. Would I trade my X for almost anything NO. But this was before I fell in love with the X and only had a crush on that full figured woman.

Silver dude

Sliders
Founding Member
FJ has all the ingredients I want in a proper 4wd. But, just doesn't click with me like it should. The cartoon styling, the poor visibility, the rear suicide doors. Also follows the same route with the Jeep Wrangler with that ima jeeper look at me I'm a offroad enthusiast wanna be. Nissan is cheaper, its less radical, and its overall more traditional. The interior in the Xterra isn't of the same quality standard, and having leaf springs on a SUV is old school but it works well. Platform really needs a update but considering it's age its doing well.

granitex

Skid Plates
Founding Member
What I don't like about the FJ other than the rattly doors, is that Toyota likes to put the power band on the motor much higher in the RPM cycle. It always feels that you have to really get into it before it wants to move.

Toyota is very good at isolating the driver from road feel, if I can feel it I can react to it.

So in a nut shell, I couldn't see, it was lacking low end grunt, it was more expensive, and was a pain to get in the back seat,,, oh and it was much more expensive.

Silver dude

Sliders
Founding Member
The only real direct competition the Xterra has i feel is the 4runner Trail Edition. But, the price is absurd. You can get a base model 4runner for the same cost as the fully loaded all option Pro X4.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Yeah. Toyotas are way overpriced. I looked at the new 4Runner. The one I'd have STARTED at $47k. That's just ridiculous. Do Yotas hold their value a little better than Nissans? Maybe. But is it worth the up front cost? Never.

SpongeX

Bought an X
Toyotas hold their value like crazy. Compared the our Xterras they depreciate at a glacial pace. I've always been a Toyota guy but more so an old Toyota guy. The new models never really did it for me and it's hard to justify the price when comparing to the Xterra particularly in the used market.

rolling rock

First Fill-Up (of many)
Just out of curiousty sake, i drove a brand new 14 ultimate trails team today. Even with the new suspension, guess what? IT STILL HAS THE INFAMOUS STEERING WHEEL SHIMMY at 60-65 mph. UNREAL. FAIL.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
The lack of visibility is the worst feature on the FJ.

After test drives, its about impossible to feel like you're not trapped in a pill box looking out through gun slits.

You need a spotter more badly than in just about anything, and ON road; you have to do gymnastics to see if the light has changed, etc...let alone if traffic is clear/coming.

Actual performance was decent though, but, the X was the hands down winner...without even considering the price differential.

2011XTERROR

Wheeling
based on what i have seen, a stock fj performs better off road than a similarly equipped stock xterra, but the price difference is huge. take that $3-4k difference and put it in the x and you're golden pony boy!

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
based on what i have seen, a stock fj performs better off road than a similarly equipped stock xterra, but the price difference is huge. take that $3-4k difference and put it in the x and you're golden pony boy!

If no spotter, the FJ's ~ flying blind on trails.

So the mechanics are fine, its the sight lines that kill it.

:D

I have seen some heavily modded ones that I do like the LOOKS of, but having driven them, yikes, that pill box/bunker view is terrible...and when lifted, etc...the vision gets even worse.

2011XTERROR

Wheeling
If no spotter, the FJ's ~ flying blind on trails. So the mechanics are fine, its the sight lines that kill it. :D I have seen some heavily modded ones that I do like the LOOKS of, but having driven them, yikes, that pill box/bunker view is terrible...and when lifted, etc...the vision gets even worse.

yeah the view sucks but i love the look honestly. i guess because i have to wheel with them because THERE ARE NO CENTRAL TEXAS XTERRAS! come on guys move here and wheel!

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I've always liked the FJ. Sure the visibility is horrendous, but I think its pretty cool. I even like the stupid 3-windshield wiper thing. I just could not justify the price. Like our trucks, its a pretty niche vehicle.

01XterraPhilly

First Fill-Up (of many)
i agree that out of the box the FJ has an edge on the P4X and i really like the rear swing door instead of the lift up that we have. Also, Yotas have a massive aftermarket support that we just dont have. thats the one downside to having an Xterra. lastly, were like rodney dangerfield where we dont get respect that we should get. Ill own my 01 forever, or as long as its absolutely unfeasible. they arent even making FJs anymore so theres that

2011XTERROR

Wheeling
i agree that out of the box the FJ has an edge on the P4X and i really like the rear swing door instead of the lift up that we have. Also, Yotas have a massive aftermarket support that we just dont have. thats the one downside to having an Xterra. lastly, were like rodney dangerfield where we dont get respect that we should get. Ill own my 01 forever, or as long as its absolutely unfeasible. they arent even making FJs anymore so theres that

seems as if the xterra may not continue for the greatest either lol. both are dying breeds. gas guzzlers and not enough market

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
i just hope it's as good as the first two gens. high hopes....

After what they did to the poor 'ol pathfinder...I'm very very worried.

JEEP people are worried that the new wrangler will have independant suspension, no frame, etc...its scary times.

Nd4SpdSe

First Fill-Up (of many)
Well there's less competition for the X, the FJ cruise is to be discontinued after 2014 anyway. Would be even more ironic if the Wrangler does get IFS, AND if Nissan bring out the Diesel...More reason for Nissan to keep the Xterra around, they should attract significantly more buyer....

Last edited:

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Well there's less competition for the X, the FJ cruise is to be discontinued after 2014 anyway. Would be even more ironic if the Wrangler does get IFS, AND if Nissan bring out the Diesel...More reason for Nissan to keep the Xterra around, they should attract significantly more buyer....

If Nissan COULD figure out a way to make a small efficient yet off road capable platform, with a frame and at least one live axle, and Jeep castrated the Wrangler with All Independent Suspension and or a unibody, A LOT of (EX) jeepers would migrate over.

:D

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Everything I have read says the next Wrangler is going to be IFS.. I doubt the Rubi would be though...

And I hate reading these FJ vs.. FJ is sorta its own little thing.. If anything the Xterra should be vs the 4runner
Its more of the same class

And on that note I see yoga release its silly pricing for their "Offroad" version of the 4runner... 41k Thats silly dumb
For something that is near Pro4x specs