Dash illumination. LED swap and color change.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
This will become an in-progress thread regarding the hurdles of swapping out the dash illumination for LEDs and changing the color.

There are a few things to consider on this swap.

1) The incandescent bulbs that are present in the factory lighting are "yellow" in terms of LED light.

2) White light is the visible combination of every color of light. Which is why it works best for illuminating a dash at night. More on this later.

3) The primary colors of white LED light are red, blue, and green. Because of this, a color tinted material will show its best color when illuminated with white light. Or! An LED of a similar color / that includes that color. Eg. Red arrows lit with red LEDs.

4) Colored LEDs ONLY emit that color. While white is still a combination of all colors, green is only green, blue is only blue, red is only red.
The end result here is that if you have a a tinted material, such as the orange speedometer needles, and you use an LED that is very far away from that color (blue) the end result will be poorly lit needles. Because the blue LED no red or yellow in it, the light will not shine through an orange material. This can be slightly overcome by sheer brightness and by the opacity of the material. The less color pigment in the material the more of the wrong color light will bleed through.

I'm not going to dive into how to take the dash apart. We're going to skip ahead to the lights.

Im using an eBay speedometer for bench testing. Because the board on the back actually stores the mileage, I'll be swapping in the board from my truck on the install. So, I rigged this.

y5uryne2.jpg

I soldered some wires directly to the lighting circuit and hooked them to a 12v power supply.

If we look at the night illumination on a 1.5 dash, you'll notice that the stock color is white. Not yellow.

After a quick disassembly of the speedo cluster which is all snap together and not hard to figure out, you can clearly see why the dash illumination is white.

Protip: use a fork underneath the needles to GENTLY pry them straight up. (picture reference to come)

ne3umaqy.jpg

All of the "white" areas have blue tint to them. This is because of the color inconsistencies of white incandescent light. The blue tint acts on the yellow light to produce white results.

Since I'm doing a color change, that has to go. Because even if you dropped white LEDs in, guess what. The blue in the white LEDs would be enhanced by this blue coloring on the back of the gauge faces.

Enter 220 grit sandpaper.

a5y4y2a3.jpg

After removing all of the blue color from the back, we now have blank slate to start from.
u8ehysab.jpg

This works because the only part that transmits the light is the cutouts on the front. Which, so long as you're gentle with the sandpaper, will be completely unaffected.

As you can see, the true color of incandescent light.

4yvetybe.jpg

Ewww. Gross.

I'm going to weigh some options on this. I have some green #74 LEDs already. So I'm going to bench test those, as well as some white and blue coming later this week. So I'll be able to run the gamut.

Simply popping in the green LEDs, makes a HUGE difference.

enuta6uj.jpg

In the first picture below, I had not finished sanding the back of the gauges. You will note that the rev counter seems slight darker than the rest. The blue tint is blocking some of the green light. Because green contains both blue and yellow, the blue portion of the light is allowed through the plastic. Albeit, still with a green tone because of the overpowering color.

e6yranu9.jpg

This picture is with the faces sanded completely. And the bezels and needles popped back on.

rumanave.jpg

The needles are orange. Since orange is close to yellow, they do still illuminate slightly. Nowhere near as much as with white light. Also, note that the redline section of the rev counter is almost non visible. Red does not illuminate very well with green light. At all.

This is the extent of my testing so far. Once I receive the other LEDs, there will be more before I make up my mind about it. I will also be testing tinted films on the back of the gauge faces using white LEDs. The reason being to get the most illumination out of the needles possible while still changing to a different color for the main gauges.

Last edited:

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
On the climate controls, I'm going to take a very different approach. The stock lighting are these huge stemmed bulbs that I cannot find a suitable replacement for. Thankfully the inside of the controls is a huge cavernous space.

Again, not covering disassembly right now. Once this actually goes to the truck, we'll talk about it.

uqabygez.jpg

My solution here was some LED strips inside the controls.

zy4a2yte.jpg

I drilled out one of the holes for the stock light to 1/2" so I could fit the connector in. I did this because I'm using a multicolor strip that can be any color I want. The back of the climate controls do not have the blue tint, as it's on the gross factory bulbs.

End result is pretty dynamic.

e4yqeqyd.jpg

sybahy3y.jpg

ytytegap.jpg

merumasy.jpg

uzege9am.jpg

Last edited:

phoenixr2

Test Drive
searched the forums a few days ago and couldnt believe I didnt find anything on this. So in on this thread. I cant stand the ugly color and dim lit stock cluster and air controls.

xterror04

Site sponsor
Founding Member
Awesome.. I hadn't thought about the sanding... I have tried blue and orange led's and they both were crap... I could barely see the gauges at night... I'll have the sand my facia down

obi_krash

Suspension Lift
So I don't know whether I am more jealous of the swap or that you have so much workspace to do this.

Looking good though, for real. Going to be sub'ing this for sure.

Nd4SpdSe

First Fill-Up (of many)
Nice! Definitely good to know. I haven't decided if I'm converting to LED's or if I'm attempting a Villager Digital Cluster.

What I want to know is how you took the HVAC controls/face out...

Last edited:

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
That center control is awesome. Might have to get that going. I'm wondering if I can tie into the rotating colors of my radio..

And I just realized what you actually meant.

The color change is done via IR remote. Which I'm planning to stub out behind one of the vents so that I can change the color at will.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
So I've found a slight issue. The cluster illumination is provided by #74 size bulbs. As part of their design, incandescent bulbs emit light in 360°. However. The viewing radius of an LED is limited to a MAX of about 160° if you're lucky. Which is why you see LED replacement bulbs have multiple diodes firing in different directions. The multiple directions is an attempt to compensate for the light not being 360°.

The 74 wedge base LED bulbs have 3 diodes. One at the end and two opposite eachother along the side of the bulb. Because of this layout, there is a dead spot where the lights is almost completely absent. It's not noticeable with the green bulbs, but it was immediately evident with the white and blue bulbs that arrived today.

This presents a problem because the gap in the light is along the edge of the dispersion material in the cluster. The result is hot-spotting of the gauge faces. I'll take some pictures once it's dark so you can see what I mean.

As of yet, I haven't been able to find any 74 size bulbs that disperse light any better. So. The solution looks like upgrading to a 194 bulb. Which will fit in the cluster and is readily available in a full 360° beam pattern............. but it will not fit in twist lock base that holds the stock bulb.

So I'm now looking at ordering 194 twist lock bases. The issue there is that the opening in the circuit board is too small. But there is a lot of material there, so it can probably be opened up without issue.

I'll get some pictures tonight once the sun goes down.

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
So...if I wanted the speedo cluster blue, put white LEDs in it?

I can get the HVAC control out no biggy. I might ask you to dumb the wiring down for me, though.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
As promised, some different pictures. In all honesty, the pictures look WAY better than the real thing.

meqepemu.jpg

abajubeq.jpg

In the blue, I was surprised at how well the needles lit up. You can also see the hot-spotting I was talking about. Toward the 80MPH mark. See how the blue is so much darker than the rest? It's even more pronounced in person. Same is true for the white.

Further investigation will commence.

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I imagine it would be blue-ish. The color behind the gauge faces wasn't very pronounced.

Hmm...I could get away with a blue LED strip for the HVAC for sure. What do you think about the gauge? I don't really need the Red Line on the tach...you know as well as I do that we don't have a red line problem with big M/Ts hahaha.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
The only problem I have with straight blue on the HVAC controls is that the red side of the temp and the needles in the knobs are non existent

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Okay. Solution. 194 bulbs will be the deal. It will require some persuasion.... And permanent mods to the PCB of the cluster.

Here's what I did for testing purposes.

jasa6a6a.jpg

I dropped the 194 bulbs into the old sockets after soldering some extension leads to the bulbs. Then I soldered those leads to the PCB. Upon looking at the bulb size, the 194s are too tall to put into a twist lock base and put into the board. They'll stick up to high and you won't get adequate reflection or be able to put the gauge face on. But with them just sitting in the hole all the way down, it's perfect.

Since I only need side firing light I completely wrecked the LED on the end. This also helps with heat in general and avoids the potential to melt the gauge face.

Before:
du5ema8u.jpg

After:
7y9a3apa.jpg

These are some extra white bulbs I had laying around that are really cheap. I won't be using these for the final install. They are just for testing purposes.

After getting them situated and the cluster put back together here is the result.

#74 bulbs:
3enede5a.jpg

194 bulbs:
e9utejap.jpg

HUGE difference. The light is MUCH brighter and actually even across the whole cluster.

Colored films should be here today so I can experiment with those as it relates to changing color using white light.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Okay. So I've got the colored films. I've cut the tach out. And installed it. Tonight I'll get some pictures and see if that with white light works better than just green light.

Also, have some different LEDs on the way. Trying to find the best illumination possible with the least modding possible.

su2u5ysu.jpg

ezyta7e8.jpg

sabuje9u.jpg

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
If only I had the patience/knowledge to do this... I would love to change out all of my interior lights, dash, and cluster over to LED.

thecoalition

Call me Daddy
So I guess my post from days ago didn't come through. Jay, I have 2 weeks off at christmas (woo working for a university has 1 benefit) and I plan to mirror what Deltaphi did with his, buuuuuuuut I may need your help with the whole soldering thing. I plan to buy a soldering iron and get some practice with leds prior to. Look here.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
It's all good. I'm more than happy to help. If you're going to buy an iron, I'd go to an actual electronics supply and get one with the smallest tip possible. It makes life a whole lot easier.

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
Jay: Any idea how well LEDs would work with the 1.0 gauge cluster? Thinking my 14 year old incandescents are getting a little dim