Grandfather Mountain Trip

McGoats

Bought an X
As an Eagle Scout, I am honored with the task of judging one of the areas largest scouting-skill based competitions. Calling for a strong chance of snow this year on Grandfather Mountain. I'm itching to see how Hank does in the snow. Pics of the ceremonial journey to come.

McGoats

Bought an X
Supposed to be. Klondike Derby.. Boys pull dog sleds full of gear. Demonstrating skills. Unfortunately its been cancelled as of today. DOT advised weather conditions going to be severe. Dont want a troop of kiddies to slide off the mountain.

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
Oh wow, didn't realize Boy Scouts would cancel like that. I'm an assistant cub master in my pack and we will cancel for most anything, but was told BS was a lot less restrictive on the weather policies.

Intender

Wheeling
well, with several inches of snow on grandfather mountain it doesn't surprise me. your from texas so I doubt you have ever been there, but imagine a rally hill climb up a steep and curvy road with deadly drop offs and that is the road up grandfather mountain. not to mention its snowing, and that the temp right now is in the 20s with winch chill in the teens and single digits. Its a windy place up there. Not unusual for wind gusts over 80mph and some over 100mph. I have been up there in the middle of the summer when it was in the 80's when I leave, and it would be in the 50's on the top of the mountain with steady winds you had to lean into.

McGoats

Bought an X
Thats a pretty well said description Intender! I personally was pretty bummed about the cancellation. But i'm glad they did! I would be heartbroke if someone got injured or worse for due to this event. Klondike isn't just older scouts. It's scouts of all ages. Some of the younger kids can be less prepared. Honestly the best call for everyones safety.