What would you do differently?

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Alright, I got an idea for fun thread..hopefully.

In modding your Xterra, now that you know all you do..what would you do differently if you could do it again?

Hopefully this will help some new people learn some mistakes to avoid and a chance for us to get some humor at ourselves. LET'S HEAR IT!

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
I'll start.. One of my first major mods was the body lift. And I bought the kit from AC. I should've saved some money and just put it together for less money.

Also, from the very beginning I should've done my wiring cleaner and bought an auxiliary fuse box and done it correctly. It's hard to do that when you already have a bunch of wires run but it would've been easier when it was all stock.

Fromfrontier2Xterra

I bought a Taco
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Starting with a spacer and aal. I should have just went straight to my current set up. It ended up being a waste of money. The aal sagged and cracked within 4 months.

Sent via my walkie talkie

maillet282

If you bleeding, Imma fix you
wouldn't of bought brush bar for the front and rear, as well as would of bought a different front bumper since the "bedliner" is starting to peal off and had to bring the damn thing to a fab shop to have it mounted ( mounts were made wrong and holes not at the right place.

metzican

Suspension Lift
I would of gone to a real fab shop for my front bumper, I love the look but the welding and lack in symmetry drives me crazy. Along with this I would gone straight to a M205 diff when TS instead of extended half shafts. I would of pieced together my body lift. I threw 95% of the mounts away. Along with this I would of done my electrical better. Not as in where it is mounted but labeling stuff properly and having current diagrams to know what color everything is. I started labeling it at a later date. But without retracing or testing every line it is extremely time consuming.

Rammer'sX

First Fill-Up (of many)
Would have started with performance mods, in this way:
1. DT long headers
2. Replace the Y pipe ( maintain OEM muffler)
3. Intake mods (IMS, TBS, Volant), take care of spark plugs while at IMS
4. Bigger gears
5. Then tires
6. UpRev dyno tune.

I did it all backwards and spent money in ladder, roof rack basket, two dyno tunes, interior rack, cargo cover, multiple performance filters, two exhaust jobs, two IMS, etc.

Ladder, shocks, roof basket, interior rack, cargo cover, multiple filters were not really needed, but I did it anyways (regretted afterwards for most of them)

Last edited:

robcarync

Sliders
I would have bought 33s instead of 32s. Everyone said I would regret it, and they were right.

THIS! I said...I will only need 32s....an extra half inch of clearance won't help, blah blah blah. I will pair the 33 inch size with tread too. I got all terrains and a very mild tread. Now I am craving the high traction tires as I have gotten more into off roading.

Also, my do-it-yourself snorkel. It did not turn out great. Lots of metal hacked up even when trying to be careful with the angle grinder. I wish I had done a "real" one, or just left it intact.

And lastly...herculining my fender arches. Even with masking, careful brush strokes, and some prep sanding...it peeled off and faded like crazy. Now my paint is awful, faded, scuffed from the prep sanding, etc.

Also, I regret trying to touch up scratches with auto zone automotive spray paint...ewww...

Most of my functional mods I have been happy with...but my cosmetic attempts fell way short for sure...now it just looks ghetto and beat up...but hell of a fun truck to drive

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
This might be a long one... Truthfully, I would have saved a significant amount of money if I would have done some things myself and not done some other things. Things such as my lights and lightbar across the top of the windshield and snorkel were not needed. While they may serve a purpose for some people and sure, they look cool, but I have yet to get into any situation where I have had to use them and if I would have never gotten them in the first place, that could have been at least $500 saved. I would not have bought the $300 roof rack I had on there a while back if I knew I was just going to sell it for little to nothing 6 months later. I probably would not have painted the hood, sides and roof rack as well; I spent a significant amount of money on paint and paint prep materials just to scratch it up every time I go wheeling. The vinyl decals probably would not have been done either. I initially had a bright blue theme going and had a lot of these "HP adders" all over the place. I quickly got bored of that and changed up the whole theme, so I basically paid for all of that twice. The front and rear bumpers are parts I wish I had built myself. If I would have bought a welder, pipe bender, plasma torch and a chop saw, I could have built them how I wanted and they would have come out cheaper; well, by the time I bought the tools and metal, I may have spent a little more all together, but I don't normally consider tools to be an expense since I can use them over and over. I have some issues with my bumpers, mainly approach and departure angles. I would have preferred to build them from tube and kept them extremely tight to the body. Finally, I really wish I had just bit the bullet and spent just a little more money to get a front air locker when the axle was apart and being built (the money for this could have easily been available if I wouldn't have done some of the things noted above).

I am now much less impulsive on what I buy for the rig and do a lot of research prior to purchasing. I have a list of things I still want to do, but I am slowly purchasing now and weighing the pros and cons of each. So far, I am still looking to do the following:
New leaf springs and shocks for the rear (starting to sag, but they flex great!)
Remove the LSD and install an air locker for the front axle
Buy a winch (WAY OVERDUE!)
Purchase hydraulic hoses and a few fittings so I can finally install the hydro assist setup that's just sitting in the garage
Build a few skid plates for the underside

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
I think most regrets come from not knowing where you want to go in the first place, and just diving in and doing whatever you saw someone else do or something you assumed was a good idea at the time....

...instead of sitting down and thinking about where you want your truck to end up as an end point, or at least an objective.

If someone is very new to the entire scene, they simply may not have a clue as to what's important, or, what an end point might look like, etc.

For those of us who perhaps started off roading back in the 1970's, etc....we sort of had some idea as to what sort of wheeling we planned on being able to do, and, what sort of mods might be worth it, or, less worth it, etc.

It might be like building a house...those of use who have at least LIVED in houses sort of know what they look like, and, after you build a few, you kind of get what goes where, and, what is a worthwhile feature, etc.

If you've never SEEN a house before, and you move into a neighborhood where others' are building their new homes...and one neighbor is telling you you need at LEAST 5 of these things called "Bedrooms" and an equal number of these things called "Bathrooms", and another is telling you that's stupid, all you need is one of each....and you suddenly feel like you should have these things, but, maybe just get 2.5 of each?

So, you and your dog are the only ones going to live in the house you're building...and you make it with 2.5 bathrooms and 2.5 bedrooms.

Later, after learning more about houses, and, what makes sense and what doesn't...you realize the guy with 6 kids, and the single guy, were building what would work for THEM....and, averaging them, did not equal YOU.

The OTHER thing that happens is that options that did not EXIST when making your plans become available....or, disappear before you can implement them. So you plan on lockers, and, no one MAKES a better ratio, so, you do the lockers, and, later find there's now a gear set you WOULD HAVE installed when it was all apart...but, its too late now. Or you see there's a gear set that makes sense, you buy the 35's because you can get some oomph back with the gears... and are saving for the gear set, and, they are discontinued/on infinite back order, etc.

For me, it was MOSTLY a transition from jeeps to X's...and I already knew the types of trails, and, that it would also be a DD that had to carry a lot of equipment, etc. I built the first one ('01) accordingly, and was really happy with it. After ~ 1/2 million miles of happiness and a few slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, it was traded to be a rock buggy for a buddy, and I started an '04.

My basic plan was to simply take the stuff off the '01 and install it on the '04.

Then my buddy finds he can't do the buggy project, and has to move out of state, and my plans to do all this in his shop are dashed, and my work schedule is a giant wet blanket on my mod schedule.

So, NOW, I'm thinking maybe I should have sold the '01, and just installed new parts on the '04...as getting the rusty banged up stuff off the '01 and re-fabbing mounts, etc...is exceeding my time budget.

So, I regret it now.

I bought an '04 so I COULD swap on the '01 parts....but, might have started with a newer 2nd gen, if I knew that swap option wasn't in the cards anyway.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
33/12.5/15's instead of 285/75/16's.
I will remedy that when I get them worn down some.

Sometimes its better to sell the ones you decided were too small, etc....while they still have tread, and use the added $ to subsidize the larger meats.

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
I unfortunately have a terrible habit of being impulsive which has lead to some hasty purchases for my rig. While all of them have turned out alright for the most part, there are still things I definitely would've done differently.

All the money I spent on upgrades should have gone to the timing belt kit, first and foremost. I would've waited a little while to do all my steering upgrades until after I did the timing belt kit. In hindsight, I should have been more patient and installed the CB mount and antenna in a better location. Again, it's working fine for now, but eventually it's going to tweak my rear fender and I'll have to fix that along with the holes I drilled into the body. I regret not taking in my X right away to a real mechanic when I bought it to fix my power surging issues. The extra parts I got in attempts to fix it myself certainly helped, but it could have been avoided at the time. One of the biggest things I would've done differently is paint all the plastics with a different product, and/or spend more time on prepping the surfaces properly. The Rustoleum bed liner was not a good choice as it holds every single piece of dirt in all it's surface areas. Come May '15, I'll have a new front bumper which will alleviate the headache I get when I look at my bumper with all it's paint chips and what not. Still doesn't fix all the other plastic pieces I'll have to go back and fix at some point.

Overall I wouldn't do too much differently, mostly because I haven't done a whole lot yet. I love reading through everyone's build threads and especially threads like this to learn from the trials of other folks. Like Casey mentioning his electrical things, I'll definitely go with aux fuse box when I get into electrical upgrades. Captain's wisdom on bumpers and approach angles is helpful too. I don't know if my rig will ever play in the same league as his, but it's still something to think about. TJ hit it right on the head when talking about impulsiveness, and I tend to see things all the time that I think I have to have. I'm getting better at controlling the urges lol

OffRdX

Lockers Installed
Nothing, I love my decisions and what I've done so far. I am spending a lot of time researching the next step of my suspension, hopefully I do that right as well.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Upon thinking about it. The only thing that really comes to mind is my projector retrofit. I wish I had done bigger ones. A full 3" or 3.5". The minis are good. But I want moar!

Oh. And the Shrock rear. RLC hadn't done a rear when I ordered mine. Upon getting it, it clearly wasn't worth the money they want for it.

That's really all I can think of. I tend to be VERY methodical when it comes to mods. Tons of research and prep work. So as not to have regrets.

01XterraPhilly

First Fill-Up (of many)
i have done much yet as compared to some of ya who have all the bumpers bc mostly money isnt on my side. the one regret if it is one at all is my light bar. If anything I wish I would have gone with pods and wired them to replace my fog lights. I cant run the light bar bc of the po-po and it was rather an impulsive buy. that could have been $250+ to go to skids or my AAL or UCAs. Im like offrdx where i research a lot for a long time and then buy when i can. Like my plans of doing the 2" BL with 33s but i want to go to 15" wheels and 33s. Id love to get a bumper but seeing XterraMike and Snickerdoodle kill it with out the steel bumpers just doesnt seem necessary. Its not like we have all rock paths here in PA. plus the weight alone would suck.

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Well after a nasty wheeling trip I decided to bedline my Xterra..
I sorta regret that one. It was all scratched up but didn't look to bad.. After a few color changes and way to much spent in the current liner I'm still not happy with it..

I also regret loosing my first Xterra... Turk was one hell if a rig and would have been a great Xterra to SAS.

Other then that I haven't made to many bad choices. I was unemployed for the most part if build number one so it required me to really spend smart.

Build two has been almost identical to the first..

KChurch86

Banned
Founding Member
In all honesty, I spent far too much money on just buying my truck. When I was shopping, if I knew I wanted an Xterra, I should have shopped around instead of jumping on the first one I found. Sure, the miles were very low, 64,xxx I believe. It was in great shape, inside and out, mechanically, etc. but not worth the $17,000+ after tax, title, etc. I got hosed on the deal and didn't even know it. Who knows, had I shopped around I'd probably be in a 2nd Gen for the same or only slightly more $$$.

As far as mods, I never should have bought the Interco MT's, that was dumb. The backspacing on the wheels was so small that even with my steering stops backed all the way out, I still rubbed the body hard on the smallest bumps while turning. Besides the waste of money, DD'ing MT's is dumb if you can't afford all that comes along with it. I really only used them once, other than that one time in the woods at Gremlin Graveyard, I just fed those tires to the pavement.

I also wish I installed an aftermarket fuse panel instead of individual inline fuses. My wiring is a mess.

A little more care could have been spent on the preparation for the bedliner on the sides, as it started chipping off not long after I sprayed it. I don't really care though, at some point I'm going to have to cut out and replace my rocker panels (they're rotting away) so I'll just clean up and respray the bedliner at that time.

I'm happy with everything else I've done though, it's my truck, my mods. Yeah, it's got a snorkel that it doesn't need. It's got roof lights that I don't really use. It's got a CB setup that I've used once, I think. I don't wheel it, because I don't have the time and can't afford to fix it if/when I break it. But it makes me happy and has been the most-dependable vehicle I've ever owned. The fact that I know it can get through rough terrain is an added plus. It hauls my tools and my family, as well as any gear we'd need if we were ever in the position to have to flee in an emergency.

Sent while mobile

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Seeing how my build has taken over 5 years to get where it is as now, I don't think that I would take anything back. Just because I have had to be smarter with my purchases while staying under the limits that my parents set for my truck (while I was still living with them, then I moved to college and I had no money to mod anyway)

I do partially wish that I would have saved my money from getting the UCAs and full lift and just saved that for a SAS. A recent swap came up on CL, and looking back I would have had the money to pick that up and a quick weekend trip up to see Jason and a couple of cases of beer would put me in the swapped club.

I do later want to do the swap just because I know I won't get the flex/travel that I would like in the front, plus a locker/replacement parts for a D44 are going to be cheaper in the long run.

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
I would have done my body lift different. Lifted the truck in high school and let my parents talk me into buying the kit and then letting a shop install. So I have a crap ton of money in my body lift.

Would have sucked it and just cut the fenders for 33s. My pro comp wheels have 4.5 inch backspace (no regrets there) so I went with 265/75/16s

I also should have upgraded the steering a lot sooner. I roasted a set of cooper discoverer str mud terrains.

Wouldn't have bought the hella black magic lights, only to decide I wanted piaas instead.

Bought gear wheels for too much money. Ended up taking those off for the pro comps

* I should've done a lot more researching before buying all that crap

slantyshanty

Bought an X
I started nodding the X before I found a forum I liked so there are several things I THOUGH would be harder than it is/was. I had the money to SAS when I lifted but figured that was well beyond my ability. I have yet to find the money and justify spending that much more since I already spent so much on the regular/ITS lift.

I would have bought smaller amps for the stereo as well. Not less powerful, just smaller. The ones I have are massive and have been quite the PITA to find a safe home for.

I'm sure there are other things but that's all I can think of right now.

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
If I had to do it over again, I think I'd have gotten a Frontier Pro-4X instead...

When I bought my Gen 1, I knew I wanted an Xterra after driving my aunt's for about 16 hours. I was in high school and thought they were super cool. It was the first X I went and test drove and had a LOT of miles when I finally made the purchase. It had good records though. It was a little 2wd, had no power compared to the F150 I had been driving around, and became just a "woulda-coulda-shoulda" truck. This was more evident when I wanted to SAS it. I worked my ass off and purchased just about everything I would need for a SAS. My ambition and lack of time got the better of me, and I eventually called it all off.

With all of this newfound time not being concerned with modding the Gen 1, I started just browsing Gen 2s (this is after I bought my Jeep). I wanted a Gen 2 from the beginning, but there was no way I could afford one at the time. I liked the additional power, more luxuries (I had no AC and craptastic power steering) and suspension setup much better... And then I saw the Titan Swap. I heavily considered a Frontier as well, but the prices were higher than the X. I figured, I liked my Gen 1, just didn't liked the limitations it had.

So I got a Gen 2, sold my Gen 1 and Titan Swapped my truck :D:

My Gen 2 is being built on other people's mistakes. A few people regret not just going to a TS after dropping a large sum of cash on their lifts, only to keep attempting to build it and more without going SAS. The TS gave me the ability to increase travel with the longer control arms and "added security" from dropping the R180 and putting in the M205. So, in the end, it became more of a "buy once, cry once" sort of mods. I have no regrets.

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
The only reason I sometimes wish I'd gotten the Frontier instead is because of the times I've really needed the open bed space. Now that I have a trailer, I don't regret it nearly as much.

Also, I sometimes wish I'd gotten a tire carrier bumper instead of Maxterra's basic bumper. But only rarely do I wish that.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
I would have not painted it green most likely.

And I would have just went 8 Lug instead of throwing that whopping amount of cash into rebuilding the D44 under it now.