New Maaco Paint Job...Initial Impression

robcarync

Sliders
As can be seen in my build thread, I let my Xterra get beat up pretty bad on the trails. Mostly due to my own stupidity and peer pressure. I smashed a fender, had a DIY snorkel hack job that didn't turn out great, smashed in my rear driver door, and decided to herculine my fenders, which started peeling, fading and looking like crap. I let my brother drive it off road and he backed into a tree, smashing up above my driver tail light and hatch. My clear coat was rotting away on the roof and behind the rear doors. It got to the point that my wife didn't like being seen in public with me!

8647709651_b89b0d5a01_z.jpg

12616660533_21dde36e20_z.jpg

Maaco near my parents house had their December holiday special for their $500 paint job (enamel paint plus a UV sealer) for $350. Lots of varying opinions on budget chains, but they are independently owned, and the Maaco in Cary, NC got great reviews online. I decided to go with a whole car paint job to the original color. I got a junk yard rear door, two junkyard fenders, and a new windshield wiper cowl/plastic trim since I had to trim mine for the snorkel. Now for the crappy bedliner. I spent hours with a pressure washer trying to peel as much herculiner off. I then tackled the rear fender arches and rocker panels with a dry wall scraper peeling every last bit of bed liner off. I sanded the bedliner areas a bit just to make sure nothing was left on. I removed my front bumper, rear plastic corner panels, and my roof rack to make it easy to mask and shoot. I was going to remove my sliders, but one of the welded nuts broke free inside the frame, and no way was I going to spend hours grinding and drilling to get the bottom of the rocker panels painted better.

I had a pretty bad dent above my rear driver tail light (think baseball bat right on the corner), and a small dent on the hatch near the glass (think right in the crease around the glass). I let Maaco take care of those.

The pricing break down was $350 for the paint with a UV sealer. This includes cleaning and sanding the entire vehicle, though probably not much more than quick scuff of the existing paint. There was a $60 dollars oversize vehicle fee. They charged me an extra $200 for additional prep work to strip the roof down to bare metal since the clear coat was so bad. No worries...it had to be done. The dent by the tail light and hatch area ended up being an extra $400, which I was OK with given how bad it was. They welded a rod to it to use a slide hammer, pulled the sheet metal out, and smoothed it out with body fill. Total bill ended up being $977 which is a bit of cash. Of course, without the bad dent I had, the paint job itself was $550, including stripping roof down to bare metal. Their overall shop rate was $44 at this location, which I felt was pretty reasonable.

Overall, I was impressed. They are masking and shooting, so they aren't taking off the doors/hood/hatch/fenders. They will take it all apart for you if you want to pay for it though! The awful dent above the tail light is gone, and the awkward dent in the crease by the glass is gone. I was impressed with how great it turned out. They did adjust my fenders some since the doors were rubbing on them some (junk yard fenders sat a little bit different). They did a good job of masking...all of my emblems were masked, so the plastidip Nissan logo remains! They didn't get the very bottom of my rocker panels due to my sliders...but I am not worried about that. Paint looks shiny and even. Obviously, only time will tell how it holds up, but it does have a 2 year warranty. If your paint is trashed from age, sun, or wheeling, it may not be a bad option to take your own bumpers off, do additional prep work yourself if you want, and spend the $450 or so for a paint job. I am a bit more conservative with my trail riding now, so I felt OK throwing the money at the body damage.

Maaco did crack my windshield though...OOPS. They are replacing it free of charge and didn't put up a fight, so I think this shop is very customer focused. So far, I am pleased.

No before photos of close up of the damage, but the after photos are attached below

Attachments

• 1229141252.jpg
    1229141252.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 1229141252b.jpg
    1229141252b.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 1229141313.jpg
    1229141313.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 1229141253b.jpg
    1229141253b.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 1229141312.jpg
    1229141312.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 114

robcarync

Sliders
I think a lot of their bad reputation comes from online automotive purists/elitists and their marketing as a budget $300 paint job. If you get the cheapest most basic level of paint, it is $300 for a single stage paint...no clear coat, no sealant, etc. No disassembly, just masking and "spray and pray". That isn't the only thing they offer though. They will disassemble the fenders, doors, hood, etc and spray everything individually if you want to pay for the labor to do that. They have several different levels of paint jobs offering different clear coats and sealants to make it more durable. The top end paint job was $2,000 just for the paint/clear coat and including basic prep work. If you want it stripped to bare metal, they can do that...but it won't be included in the $300 dollar quote for paint. You obviously can't compare a $300 budget paint job to a $2,000 job from another body shop that may not even offer the "spray and pray" option. I think a lot of people don't realize Maaco has services above and beyond the $300 paint job.

I had minimal over spray (a small amount on my lift shackle and on the rear bumper mount). I was pleasantly surprised that the emblems were masked and that they got paint under the head light gasket on the lip where the head light rests in the fender. I honestly wasn't expecting that level of detail. The dents are completely gone and smooth. They adjusted my front fenders free of charge to make sure the doors didn't rub paint when being opened. All in all...it was a positive experience.

Diadaga

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
From what I've seen it definitely varies from each store. Had a buddy get his car painted at the Maaco in Clarksville, Tn and it was a sh!t job. Clear coat started bubbling, and peeling within a couple months, he had to fight them because they didn't color match like they said they would. Definitely sounds like you found a good one though.

Slasa

Lockers Installed
That looks pretty good. I bet it feels good to have that fresh look - almost like having a new car! I have had one Maaco paint job (cheap version). I can't remember the specs it was so long ago. It looked great, too. It was a similar red color. A couple years in it got the oxidized, chalky-pink color and started to look crappy. Still worth the money spent. Good luck with yours.

robcarync

Sliders
So does This mean no more wheeling now that is all bright and shiney?? Or just time for NEW DENTS!!!!! :kewl:

HAHAHA ... that is what I told my wife...time for new dents!!!

The paint was bad when I first bought the truck, and the clear coat deteriorated and got worse with time. All of my dents were from trying things that I knew I had no business doing, but gave in to the peer pressure of "don't be a sissy...go for it!". Problem was, I rationalized it all in my head by saying...well the paints already crap anyway...I'll just bull doze through this brush and try to squeeze between these trees going down a muddy hill.

When I was in Iowa, our wheeling was mostly on private land with quad trails that were pretty tight threading the needle through tree and impossible to stay away from tree branches. Hell, a lot of our wheeling was trail blazing through the woods and running trees over or squeezing between them. The trails I run in NC are more open and cleared out (Uwharie National Forest!).

I will still be wheeling, just not as balls to the wall bash into trees kind of wheeling. More proper trails and less abuse. Smarter wheeling. Sissified maybe...but I must say I enjoy driving the truck more with it not being completely beat up...I don't feel awkward when I go visit my parents nicer neighbor hood and have my beat up truck sitting out front of their house :)

robcarync

Sliders
Looks great man! Where did you get the rear bumper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built that bumper myself. Cost about $200 in materials (pre-fabbed hitch and recovery points boosted the price). Lots of hours of labor to try and keep everything nice and square before, during, and after welding.

Steadyhigh

Test Drive
Lots of money spent just to scratch and redent it. Have you thought about 3m protectant film to protect your new paint? That's what I wish o had done when I first bought my truck. Now that yours is fresh you could keep it that way forver using 3m protectant film

robcarync

Sliders
The wheeling I do these days is much more tame and on cleared out trails where you aren't really in danger or body damage. 2 of the dents came from letting my brother drive off road and he doesn't have the experience I do. The others were easily avoidable...but I was trying things I knew I wouldn't make. I feel pretty confident that the 4-5 times I get off road in a given year won't result in too much more damage.

In the end, it was the herculiner on the fenders that REALLY needed to come off, so I needed the paint job after I scraped it all off. Definitely worth it.

On the other note...I will have to look into the 3M protectant. Thanks for the heads up