Discontinued?

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I wouldn't even be mad! The fact that you got it up to enough speed to flip it is impressive!

You just quoted every Sammy owner ever.

It's a box. On wheels. Find me an SUV of that era that didn't have a 'high rollover probability'. My brother rolled his Tracker.

You've got that one... you know. That one, with the wheels and the engine that drives the thing from that one company.

Frogstar7055

Wheeling
Damn shame.

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
The Gen 1 also faced safety critics. IIRC, there was an ad or article bashing the Xterra for its high rollover probability.

You have to remember that was the same time Ford had roll over issues with some ****ty Firestone tires... All SUVs go hit with that one

Nd4SpdSe

First Fill-Up (of many)
There's also test showing that the Xterra has the strongest roof and is the best for roll-over safety.

I don't want a Jeep, I don't like the build of Chrystler products and the 4Runner is overly expensive...I dont see any of the new gen 4Runners off-road...

After thinking about it more yesterday, it would have been nice if nissan made a numbered run of the last solar yellow with a special pro 4x package. Maybe 32" 0r 33" tires with a small 2" factory lift. Numbered dash etc. Like toyota did with the ultimate trails team FJ.

They brought Solar Yellow back a year or two ago. I just went to their website and can configure a '15 Pro4X in Solar Yellow

6. Xterra Mid $23,660 Sold 2014: 16,505

If these numbers are right, in the US, they sold 74'323 Frontier's in 2014.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/nissan-frontier-sales-figures.html

It's definitely worth for them to focus on the Frontier over the Xterrra, but i would want to say that it should help to make money since they share most of the R&D and brings total sales on that platform (excluding the others on the F-Alpha) to 90'828 , but it's only slightly ahead of the FJ Cruiser at 13'602.

Maybe the new Frontier will be shared off the same platform as the new Titan, which they did on the previous gen. The Xterra and even the WD Pathfinder was aways based on and came after their pick up truck counter part.

I agree that the Gen 2 was just something sorta thrown out there to attempt to revive the model. However, the 4.0L was in response to critics complaining about the grossly underpowered 3.3L in the Gen 1. The supercharger was ridiculous and wasn't, IMO, worth the +40hp and -4mpg results. The 265hp they're rated at is on par with several competitors such as Toyota. Keep in mind, the Frontier received the same engine with the idea that it could also tow a decent amount. Why throw in a different engine on the same platform?

The Nissan 4.0L was and still is the most powerful in the small truck class, but both Nissan and Toyota's trucks are over a decade old. The new Canyon/Colorado are kicking up dust in the market, with a diesel planned for next year? This will hopefully kick them in the arse and get new designs out. We know Nissan is testing a Cummins Frontier. Ford won't joint the game, they refuse to bring over their world wide Ranger and are pushing only their F150. But even the large trucks have been hit hard with the pressure with Dodge bringing out the Ecodiesel, and Ford now going hard on the aluminum adding to the Ecoboost. I want to and hope the X will just take a hiatus for a few years after a new Frontier comes out.

And I love my Supercharger (+5spd), I wouldn't want it any other way, but you even had more options in the US with RWD and 4cyl options on the gen1 and could configure them as you wished.

IF anything, I'll just import a Patrol/Safari or get a rust-free gen1 Xterra from the US

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I posted this on TNX and thought Id share here

Nissan will not announce the end of Xterra till the fall of this year.
Why would they? It could kill the potential sales of 2015s on the dealer lots.

Someone asked if the Xterra is built anywhere else? Nope.. Nissan moved production to Canton MS in Aug 2012 for the 2013 build year.
and to someone else post about how could they move production 2 years ago then kill it off.. Nissan has continued to stamp most parts in Smyrna, TN. Then ship to Canton for building. The 4.0 engine is built in Decherd, TN along with many others including the new Mercedes / Infinity small CUV motor. :D

Is Frontier going anywhere??? Nope.. And thank GM for this.. Nissan really was looking at killing the Fronty off a few years back but something funny happened.
Dodge killed their Mid size truck then GM killed theirs.. Frontier was in the mid 40k a year mark.. So so for a small truck.. They were looking at doing a pup size truck again.. but When the other guys killed off the mid size trucks Nissans sales went up.. So Frontier will have a Gen 3.. 3 Motor options too.. (Expect the Navara in a slightly less girly trim)

To the people that think Xterra is in the Wrangler segment.. I wish this were true but its never been... Yes Nissan hinted at it with the Off Road/ P4X but the Xterra was aimed at a larger audience. They wanted the DD market. Many that own wranglers use them as a 3rd vehicle. So Jeep can take liberties with design and function. The more you want vs need crowd. And think about this.. When Xterra started showing up in 99/2000 Jeep wasn't even building a 4 door JKU. Even when the Gen2 popped the JKU was just starting out. So Wrangler was never apart of the planned market.

Also to everyone claiming Nissan never updated the insides.. You better take a look again.. Yes they could have done more but in the past 5 years the insides have been updated slightly..

The Xterra has had a great run and will continue to be active for the next 10 years or more. Most people buy new and carry a 5-7 year note right? So.. 2015-

These forums are a great reason it will stay a active off road SUV as well.

We all knew this day was coming up so its time to hop in your current Xterra and give it a good hug... Its been a great run and I don't see the sun setting just yet ;)

Dirthouse

Bought an X
This touches on an issue that Nissan has always had in which they take entirely too long to do a model redesign. The Hardbody spent 10.5 years before it was replaced. The 1st gen Frontier was 7. And the current Frontier is currently at 10 years. The Titan and Armada will be 12 years by the time the 2016 redesign hits showrooms later this year. Nissan has been in the American market long enough to know that customers become disinterested after a model passes 5 years. The big three realized this long ago and have been rolling out new models in much less time.

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member

Its a good read.. I understand that Frontier does need a partner but in many ways it has this as its branded Navara/NP300 all over the world.
Normally they want to spread the under pinning around to help spread the cost of design and engineering.
Titan / Armada / QX / Vans - Xterra / Frontier - Pathinder / Infiniti QX - and so on..

Since Titan isn't going any where its safe to say Armada isn't either

Frontier will share some parts of the next Titan just like the current gens. Basic frame design and some drive train.

Its posable that Xterra could survive.. I do know for a fact its been designed.

Im just not sure it could be a full build or neutered SUV

donthegreek

Test Drive
Its posable that Xterra could survive.. I do know for a fact its been designed. Im just not sure it could be a full build or neutered SUV[/QUOTE said:
I'd love to see what the designers came up with for a new design. Hopefully maybe we will!?!?!? Its probably not gonna happen though. I'm guessing in the fall when the 16 would normally be coming out they'll announce officially its dead.

Dirthouse

Bought an X
Just to beat the dead horse some more... I had my anniversary dinner at work last night and I spoke with one of the plant veeps that had attended. When I asked him why I couldn't lease an Xterra anymore, he replied with "the Xterra lived past its "end of production life cycle" by a couple of years. There were plans to release a next generation, but it wouldn't have been cost effective. I also asked why a diesel option couldn't have been made to bring up it's average mpg like the Frontier will likely get, and he just gave me a deer in the headlights expression. I came away with the impression that they had a 3rd gen planned, but they nixed it when they looked at the logistics of it. I also asked about the next gen Frontiers information and Titan pricing. He said he hasn't received anything yet.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
IIRC, Pick-ups have different CAFE regs...so an SUV hurts more than a p-up.

As the wee truck niche was opened, the Fronty was able to step into some vacant/vacated market niches.

Body on frame rigs are an endangered species for sure. When they turned the Pathfinder into a bloated oversized hatchback, I knew it was over.

The jeep wrangler is one of the few rigs that a significant percentage of actually get off roaded....the rest of the SUV's out there are mostly bought for image reasons.

Its why jeep can get away with hinges on the outside, exposed bolt heads, simple interiors with few amenities, a rough ride and poor mpg, etc... (Compared to a cute ute...) etc.

The other heaps have unibodies not frames....portending the future.

So, as the vast majority of car buyers don't go off road, and want a nice smooth ride as their number one performance criterion...with high mpg, etc...a frame weighs too much to be worth lugging around...and leaf springs and live axles just don't lend themselves to smooth rides, etc...compared to independent systems.

HD rigs might keep frames, because 1 ton rigs, etc, need them to work well thus far...but they are going for aluminum bodies, and less steel, but of higher strength, and so forth, as compromises even in that demographic.

Last edited:

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Yep, dad told me day before yesterday the last X will roll off the line in August with MY15 being the last production year. It's official.

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Well, here it is. An official Nissan announcement declaring the Xterra dead:

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/the-2016-nissan-lineup-charting-the-changes

"Nissan Xterra
The Nissan Xterra has completed its current production cycle. After more than 750,000 Xterras sold since its introduction as a model year 2000 vehicle, the last Xterra will be sold in the fall of 2015."

It makes me a little sad to know that it's fully concrete and official now. I guess I was holding on to a little bit of hope that the Xterra would stick around long enough for me to buy a new one in a couple years. I wanted to ignore all the hearsay and magazine announcements; denouncing them as simply myth. However, now there is some closure that I was looking for.

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
Just wishful thinking here:

I know the xterra was never meant to be a direct competitor to the wrangler. We just kinda of Lump it into that category. Anyways, wonder why Nissan doesn't go after the wrangler segment of the market like their doing in the truck world with the new Titan? I know cafe standards played into the decision and all

But it looks to me like their is segment of the market that only jeep is competing in. With the fj & xterra dead. It leaves the 4Runner and the wrangler. Let's face it that new thing they call the 4Runner is to big to be off-road and way over priced

End rant lol

importpower99

Bought an X
Just wishful thinking here:

I know the xterra was never meant to be a direct competitor to the wrangler. We just kinda of Lump it into that category. Anyways, wonder why Nissan doesn't go after the wrangler segment of the market like their doing in the truck world with the new Titan? I know cafe standards played into the decision and all

But it looks to me like their is segment of the market that only jeep is competing in. With the fj & xterra dead. It leaves the 4Runner and the wrangler. Let's face it that new thing they call the 4Runner is to big to be off-road and way over priced

End rant lol

THe Xterra and Fj are in the same category as the Wrangler, they are all classified as Off road capable rugged vehicles. Nissan just never put the effort into being a keep player, this isnt new for Nissan and because of that, it will be the last Nissan I own.

The 4runner isn't bad, its a real capable machine that holds its value. Its really the only new and affordable off road capable SUV you can get without buying a wrangler. Toyota is smart since they can market the 4runner to off road enthusiast and soccer moms which means they can cross sell their product into two market.

There is always a Landrover :0