Bumpsteer

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Is this a common thing or do I need to get the Pathy looked at?

I know what it is, I know what causes it, it just feels like I have some excess bumpsteer when driving down the road. It is a symptom of the configuration of the steering? Or is something horrifically out of whack?

ryandavenport

First Fill-Up (of many)
Is this a common thing or do I need to get the Pathy looked at?

I know what it is, I know what causes it, it just feels like I have some excess bumpsteer when driving down the road. It is a symptom of the configuration of the steering? Or is something horrifically out of whack?

It's the same steering configuration as the Xterra. I know what you are talking about though. Something in the suspension exaggerates the feeling because my moms Pathfinder drives the same way. Maybe it's time for new shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
If its BUMP STEER, it means that when you hit a bump, there is a steering effect, and, typically, it means that the cycling of the suspension is impacting the steering angles, so that bouncing up/down makes you dart side to side...

..and that means on your type of set-up, something's probably bent/very worn, to let the drag link get out of alignment with the pitman and/or idler arms, etc.

New shocks won't fix the side to side reaction...you need to get under there and see what happened.

Now, if its not really bump steering, its just jarring on impacts, etc...that's another story. If its steering itself left/right when the suspension goes up/down...then, something is definitely wrong.

Tie-rods getting bent, draglink getting bent, idler arm getting bent, pitman arm coming loose, and so forth are you main concern typically, as if they go on you, at speed, very bad things happen.

Last edited:

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
If its BUMP STEER, it means that when you hit a bump, there is a steering effect, and, typically, it means that the cycling of the suspension is impacting the steering angles, so that bouncing up/down makes you dart side to side...

..and that means on your type of set-up, something's probably bent/very worn, to let the drag link get out of alignment with the pitman and/or idler arms, etc.

New shocks won't fix the side to side reaction...you need to get under there and see what happened.

Now, if its not really bump steering, its just jarring on impacts, etc...that's another story. If its steering itself left/right when the suspension goes up/down...then, something is definitely wrong.

Tie-rods getting bent, draglink getting bent, idler arm getting bent, pitman arm coming loose, and so forth are you main concern typically, as if they go on you, at speed, very bad things happen.
No drag links here. 2nd gen. Rack and pinion setup. It does dart back and forth. But it's very minor.

Last edited:

ryandavenport

First Fill-Up (of many)
No drag links here. 2nd gen. Rack and pinion setup. It dos dart back and forth. But it's very minor.

Yeah so not really bumpsteer. I knew what you meant though. Mine went away when I installed different shocks and springs. I wouldn't suggest as heavy of a setup as I run, but maybe new shocks and throw some airbags in the rear. I know Luke has done the airbags on his wife's so maybe he would be a good person to ask.

ryandavenport

First Fill-Up (of many)
How many miles are on the pathy? I know my Xterra shocks were shot at 75000 miles and I believe the manufacturer is the same on pathy shocks and Xterra shocks .

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin

And yeah, it's the same. This Pathy is just a longer 2nd gen with an independent rear. Same exact truck.

Last edited:

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Right, its not bump steer then.

It IS probably something worn/bent though if its darting left/right, as that's a symptom of the parts that hold the position having play, and not being able to hold the position.

Shocks should not help with left/right darting...albeit might be due anyway. :D

Hows the tire wear patterns?

Any evidence of scallops or unevenness, etc?