New guy to the X-nation

Murdoch

Bought an X
Hi folks I am a new member to this forum. I do not have an X-terra but hopefully in the next year or so I will.
A bit about myself I am married with a daughter. I am the senior electroplater at a chrome plating shop.
I have a hobby of being a prop builder, I am currently building an iron-man type armour "Murdoch's War-Machine MkIII. Love music, movies and hockey.
I can't wait to begin learning as much as I can from all of you. Thanx GM

havoc1969

Test Drive
I am new here today as well, and haven't quite bought my xterra yet, so in the same boat, but welcome all the same!!

Murdoch

Bought an X
Hey thanks guys. I appreciate it.
Big thanks to drbandkgb for the help navigating my profile. I had checked the link you had sent of yours and your wife's rig. Very nice trucks 1st and 2nd generation reps.
I have friends who have or had 4X4's and it it always funny on how opinions vary. I almost feel like the lone wolf on wanting an Xterra. I find myself many times having to defend my choice of truck.
All in all I have always liked the Xterra, both generations. From the design to the functionality. So I will save my nickels, work the over time, maybe even sell a kidney but I will have one...GM

Shadowdragon

First Fill-Up (of many)
Supporting Member
I too, am new here, but like you I have always loved the way the X looks, the functionality was always something that drew me in. all the cubbyholes and places to tie stuff down or put stuff was very interesting to me. luckily, i was recently able to buy my own x. For now, I'm babying it and not really wanting to cut holes or pieces off yet... it still has new car smell. but when I get more confident i can do a project without breaking it, i'm hoping to build a decent rig. most of the people i know who go off-roading swear by their Jeeps or 4runners or lifted trucks. They always gave me crap for wanting an X. Hope to see your build soon!

Murdoch

Bought an X
That's funny, my brother in law has a Jeep and as much as it has cost him to service over the years he will never get rid of it. The older 4 runner's are the one's I like. But in the end it's the X for me. There are so many possibilities with an Xterra, from the hardware right down to the paint. For me though I would have to run it stock until I found an apartment with a taller garage...GM

Last edited:

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I too, am new here, but like you I have always loved the way the X looks, the functionality was always something that drew me in. all the cubbyholes and places to tie stuff down or put stuff was very interesting to me. luckily, i was recently able to buy my own x. For now, I'm babying it and not really wanting to cut holes or pieces off yet... it still has new car smell. but when I get more confident i can do a project without breaking it, i'm hoping to build a decent rig. most of the people i know who go off-roading swear by their Jeeps or 4runners or lifted trucks. They always gave me crap for wanting an X. Hope to see your build soon!

As a former owner of two of the three things you mentioned, tell them to "hold my beer, brah," and find some new people (like us) to go with.

Welcome.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Add me to that list as well. I was active on forums for about 6 months before I found the X I wanted.

Welcome!

LOL

My first X was made in 2000.

Xterra Forums were not invented yet...I had no options.

:D

Same with the jeeps, CJ's and YJ's predated the web in that way, but, I still remember back when I got the TJ, there WAS a chat forum. There were about 6 of us on it. Me and this guy from Australia used to talk a lot, as I was up in the wee hours here when he was awake.

I already HAD the jeep by the time I found the chat site though.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Bought an X
Hey guy's and gal's I have a question. The trouble is, as I don't have an xterra I don't know where to direct my questions. So for now I guess this will have to do. First off I am not an auto mechanic, identification of some parts might as well be in Klingon. That being said I am not completely useless. I was a cyclist who has owned about 52 bikes over the years and before you even begin to laugh I have built most of them. Bike #51 cost me about 10k. Had a couple of motorcycles as well.
Now identification of skid plates: You have a front and shock skids, are there more?
I see some roof racks that sit on the existing stock rack and some that have just replace the factory issue. Is it all about preference?
Air tank: what is it for? The tires.
Buying an X, the km. Now when I see the first generation the km is 250-300,000 km. The second generation is between 60-160,000 km depending on how recent it is. I guess what I am asking is what is the life average in miles or km of an X first or second generation.
Tutorials: are there any? Like YouTube or something?
I have checked YouTube but I don't know what I am looking for. 4x4 upgrade tutorials?
Just would like to say thanx in advance. Just a noob looking for direction...GM

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
Skids are going to be the metal that protects the underbelly of the your X; usually it's an Engine, Transmission, Transfer case and Gas tank skids. The radiator may or may not be included with the engine skid.

The rack are all about user preference. I like the stock rack on mine, but if I were to get a newer one, it'd have to drop between the factory rails.

Air tank (or on board air in general) is typically for an air actuated differential locker. The air tank is either a CO2 bottle, or an air compressor with a tank reservoir. People usually over size the compressor or add a tank so they can air up after a day on the trails without needing a pocket full of quarters. Some even have systems that can run air tools if needed.

Lockers are devices that will prevent the differential from applying all the power to a wheel that is slipping (or in the air), and instead locks it so both wheels turn at the same time. The 2nd Gen Pro4X and Off Road models come with a standard electronic locker in the rear.

KMs on the model you buy, that will vary greatly on the year you buy. 1st Gen is 2000-2004 and came with the 3.3L V6 engine (I don't think the I4 was available in Canada). 2nd Gens are 2005-2015 with the 4.0L V6. My 2001 is still kicking with about 400 000 km on it. It's a Nissan, so as long as you keep up the maintenance it should last quite a while.

Tutorials... Other than what you find in the forums, they're pretty hard to come by that are X specific. We're a much smaller community than the Jeep, but that doesn't mean we don't know how to have fun. If you're looking for advice as to what to do to the X, the best advice is find out what it _can't_ do for you in its stock form, and make a plan from there. Someone who overlands is going to have different requirements than someone who wants to climb a rock face.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Hey guy's and gal's I have a question. The trouble is, as I don't have an xterra I don't know where to direct my questions. So for now I guess this will have to do. First off I am not an auto mechanic, identification of some parts might as well be in Klingon. That being said I am not completely useless. I was a cyclist who has owned about 52 bikes over the years and before you even begin to laugh I have built most of them. Bike #51 cost me about 10k. Had a couple of motorcycles as well.
Now identification of skid plates: You have a front and shock skids, are there more?
I see some roof racks that sit on the existing stock rack and some that have just replace the factory issue. Is it all about preference?
Air tank: what is it for? The tires.
Buying an X, the km. Now when I see the first generation the km is 250-300,000 km. The second generation is between 60-160,000 km depending on how recent it is. I guess what I am asking is what is the life average in miles or km of an X first or second generation.
Tutorials: are there any? Like YouTube or something?
I have checked YouTube but I don't know what I am looking for. 4x4 upgrade tutorials?
Just would like to say thanx in advance. Just a noob looking for direction...GM

The basic idea is that you will NEVER lift enough to NEVER hit something.

The armor is essentially insurance so you can get to work on Monday after a weekend of fun. :D

The armor you get is different between the 2000 - 2004 X's, and the 2005+ X's, as different parts are vulnerable.

That means until you know what YEAR X, you really don't know what armor, specifically, you will want.

The best starting point is actually SLIDERS. These are like the steps on the sides, but, steel instead of aluminum, and, typically bolted to the frame and strong enough to land on w/o damage to the X. They protect your rocker panels and pinch seam, and, on a stock X, are the only place you can use a hi-lift jack to un-high center yourself, change a tire, etc. They also act like side bumpers to fend of tress and, on the road, Buicks, etc. (Ask me how I know...)

4740921688_10b0cd583f_o.jpg

Here's a buddy of mine, cresting a sharp break over angle at the top of a hill, and, his sliders are preventing the side of the trail from crunching his doors, rockers and pinch seams. He' actually resting ON the sliders in this shot, and teetering like a see saw. W/o Sliders, his doors and so forth would have been pretty messed up.

After that, the 1st gen X's start at the back, with gas skids, and work forward. The 2nd Gen X's tend to need to start in front, as their radiator lowers, etc, are proportionally low, and so forth.

The 1st gen X's rear diff is a drop in third member design, like a Ford 9", etc...and is very tough...and doesn't need a skid. On the 2nd gen X, the diff is more like a Dana D-44, and has a cover plate that rocks can peel right off, so a diff skid and/or stronger diff cover, etc, are popular.

Both gens' front diffs are over a cross member and adequately protected.

The t-case, engine/oil pan, exhaust/tranny gas tank, etc, all need protection on both gens....but, in different spots.

7989039484_079aab7f75_b.jpg

Shot of brand new skid plates under the X (2001)

7989039754_65555277d7_b.jpg

Shot of same skids after having a lot of fun. They took the hits so the rig was unhurt.

Shock skids are just protecting the lower shock mount, leaf pack skids protect the leaf plate, and so forth.

On Board AIr (OBA) for me runs air tools and fills tires, resets blown beads, etc...and operates air lockers. It can also power air horns or whatever you want.

Most guys just get a portable compressor at PepBoys, etc....plug into the cig lighter, and fill tires that way. It can take a LONG time to air back up from 15 to 40 psi for example like that, maybe 20 - 30 minutes per tire (You have FOUR of them btw...)

Some get tired of waiting that long, especially when its cold/raining, etc...and install a more powerful under hood compressor, and run a quick connect to a bumper, etc...or, get a Powertank, etc, and use a CO2 tank to fill tires super fast...and so forth...its about $ vs patience.

For perspective, you can have a blast on Green trails, the kind you SHOULD be running if you are an inexperienced driver (Off road) to learn the ropes....w/o ANY skids. Sliders are great and all, but, blue trails are where you star to need them, and, a new DRIVER should not DO blue trails w/o a LOT of spotting/help to get through it...etc.

My skids in the pic are battered because on Blue and Black trails, I USE the skids to slide over stuff...and the sliders might be used to pivot against a rock, and grind around a tight turn against it, etc...they earn their keep.

YOU won't NEED any armor at all to get started. A CB is a popular accessory, as the chat on the trails is a lot of fun, and, its nice to be in on the discussions about what's coming up ahead, when's lunch, who's a doo doo head, etc. Some basic recovery gear, such as a , shovel, a tarp, some tools, spare parts, snatch strap and recovery points to hook it to, help you to get unstuck, or, to help others, etc. First aid supplies, and so forth, are also a good idea.

Mostly, you'll need a few trips to see what's involved, get a feel for how to do things/avoid damage or injuries, trail etiquette, how to pick a line, and calibrate your oh **** factor. (The Oh ****! Factors are your seat of the pants adjustments to being leaned over/at crazy angles, etc.) Essentially, newbs tend to be leaned over, and start screaming that they are going to flip over...and everyone outside the rig KNOWS that they are almost completely horizontal, and that its calibration time.

Does that help a bit?

BTW - Some guys I know come down from Toronto for ECXC every year (July), and you could caravan down with them.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Bought an X
That was a very informative description. Thanks TJTJ lol. I keep saying that- my wife's nephew is our com tech support, his name is TJ and I am always saying thanks TJ. Your advice is awesome and helps out in a big way. One more question for you.What is ECXC? GM
OK just found it East Coast Xterra Challenge in Philly. This sounds awesome. 2 problems I got. 1 I am going to Cuba in July, 2 it says Xterra only and even if I was to go next year I just don't think that's enough time for me to disguise my Grand Am as an X or are there ways around that...GM

Last edited:

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
That was a very informative description. Thanks TJTJ lol. I keep saying that- my wife's nephew is our com tech support, his name is TJ and I am always saying thanks TJ. Your advice is awesome and helps out in a big way. One more question for you.What is ECXC? GM
OK just found it East Coast Xterra Challenge in Philly. This sounds awesome. 2 problems I got. 1 I am going to Cuba in July, 2 it says Xterra only and even if I was to go next year I just don't think that's enough time for me to disguise my Grand Am as an X or are there ways around that...GM

Its not in Philly, but is in Pennsy...north of Philly by ~ 2 hours...in Pine Grove/Tremont, PA.

(In the Poconos)

Rausch Creek Off Road Park:

453 Molleystown Road
Tremont, Pennsylvania 17981

(570) 695-3900

rauschcreekoffroadpark.org‎

I've shown up in a Subaru when I was injured/not supposed to drive offroad, etc.

You just sign up as a rider instead of a driver. You hop in with someone, and you're all set.

As a bunch typically come down from Toronto, Drew and his guys, etc, you might just hop in with them in Toronto and leave the Grand home, etc....

Otherwise, 2 hours north of Philly means 2 hours CLOSER to you....say ~ 6 hours at the speed limits with bathroom breaks etc....4 hours if you drive with Drew, etc.

Its so worth it.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Bought an X
That's fine. Canadian mail system is quite questionable lately. Just thought that it was another Canada post fails...GM