Where to buy timing belt kit?

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
I'm thinking a timing belt job is in the horizon. It's at about 160,000 miles and I'm not 100% sure it's ever been changed. With this, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Looking around, THIS is the kit that everybody goes for and would work for mine. However, I was browsing around at work, and for those that don't know, I work at Carquest and I can source everything myself except for the stud and spring tensioner. For a LOT cheaper. That kit goes for $315, I can get everything for $160, minus the stud and spring of course haha

It is okay to get everything I can here at work for a lot cheaper and just get the stud and spring from the dealership? Or is there something else that needs to come from the dealership as well?

PS.. Who wants to come put this on for me? ;)

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
I asked this same question a while ago lol. I was really bummed to see the Courtesyparts kit go up like $50. Nissan of Richmond has a kit for $150ish, but I'm yet to call them and ask what all is included in it because it doesn't say so in the item description.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
If I can get every part that's in courtesy kit for about 160 or 170, I'll be happy as a clam! Still deciding whether I should try to tackle this myself or not... I'm really scared I'll screw up something haha

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
Go slow, be methodical, follow a write up and you'll be fine. It's overwhelming at first, but not _that_ hard.

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
I'm in the same boat as you Casey. I'd love to save the $200 from paying my mechanic to do but I'm severely petrified I'll mess something up if I do it myself. Although honestly, if I could get all the parts from the kit for ~$160 less than the courtesy price, I would be more inclined to just pay my mechanic to do it.

Intender

Wheeling
Timing belts arent that hard unless you have a vehicle with a transverse engine (sideways) the one in my old jetta was the first i ever did and it was a pain in the butt, because of the hydraulic cam tensioner. But the rest of the job was pretty straight forward when you start tearing into it. When my wifes mdx was due i popped the hood to look into what needed to come apart and said screw it and took it somewhere to get it done. There is only about 2 inches between the side of the engine and the inner fender.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
I'm in the same boat as you Casey. I'd love to save the $200 from paying my mechanic to do but I'm severely petrified I'll mess something up if I do it myself. Although honestly, if I could get all the parts from the kit for ~$160 less than the courtesy price, I would be more inclined to just pay my mechanic to do it.

I hear ya. I believe that's about what my mechanic would charge me and he just got through doing a timing belt job on a 04 so that's a plus.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Yeah that's a pretty good deal as well! I think I'm gonna pull the trigger here soon

Another question... Is the spring and stud tensioner REALLY necessary? Is it stuff that really goes bad? I'd hate to do the job and then 10,000 miles later the spring breaks and I have to take everything back apart for a $3 part.

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Just called them to see what was going on. So what happened is Nissan did a price adjustment last Wednesday which altered a lot of prices for parts. Subsequently, the water pump price was updated incorrectly and was showing it with a price of $0.00. Courtesy has since corrected the error (a few other places have not), and the price for the bundle is now adjusted correctly. He told me that someone even bought the kit when it was showing at $209, and they are going to have to call that customer to tell them if they want the water pump included, they'll have to fork over the $116 for it. Bummer sauce. I'm really looking at that Amazon kit that Silver linked, but I want to cross reference the parts from whats included in the Courtesy kit and see if everything is comparable.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Oh wow.. Seems like if they screwed up the price they should cover it.. I'd say not too many people purchased in that time frame anyway.

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
That's what I thought as well, but he said since it was a national screw up on Nissan's end, they can't honor it through the dealerships. Oh well.

I ended up ordering the kit from Amazon and still saved money in the end. Now I can finally shut up about this stupid thing and get some peace of mind