Looking for a change.

Murdoch

Bought an X
So currently I am a hard chrome electroplater, have been for close to 10 years. I find that it's beginning to wear me down physically as well as mentally. I was also a jeweller for 10 years but I'm thinking about going back to school. Maybe a course in welding or CNC any thoughts from you fine folks? Thanks in advance...GM

Murdoch

Bought an X
What is it about the job is wearing you down? If that same exact thing might happen in a welding/cnc job, you may want to look elsewhere.
Constant repetitive movement. Working 50-60hrs a week or else, the constant reminder that we are cattle. First one there, last one to leave. No credit, no thanks given at any time...GM

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Relating to welding/machine jobs, consider what you what out of it. KChurch has had some disdain with his machine shop work and he has worked some long hours from what I can tell.

Welders can make some good money depending on where your expertise lie. Here at the manufacturing plant I work at, they work a pretty repetitive job. However, at the other job I wanted, welders and CNC operators were one in the same and had new and exciting work weekly. Rarely were they working on the same project over and over again. The downside was that it was a smaller firm with lesser pay.

Murdoch

Bought an X
Well in the past 4 years I've worked 5-6 weeks straight on 5 occasions. Right now I am 45 and I have to ask myself can I do this for the next 20 years. A skilled trade learned that I could use to start a business would be beneficial...GM

ellisfamilyokc

First Fill-Up (of many)
I don't know what your education levels are. But, here is how I changed my life for the better and found my life's new calling. I have a Bachelor's degree. I had been selling new Chevrolets for seven years and had finally had it with the car business. I quit. I then need some kind of employment. I decided to give substitute teaching a try. A background check was done, training attended and I was sent int the classroom. I subbed for a year in two different school districts and many schools. I found one that was near home and the students were really great. That year I decided that I really loved teaching. The school kept me busy and when there was an opening for a teachers assistant I was hired full time. I got busy and completed all the requirements and was issued an actual teaching license. The next school year my school hired me as a teacher! This is my third year as a teacher there. I now have a full standard teaching certificate and love my new life. Take the leap and search for your calling it is there and you will know it when you find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murdoch

Bought an X
That's an inspiring story my friend. I have limited education by way of any institutional standards. That being said I am not a stupid man. In this place I am lol, but I am working on changing that. Limited high school, took a course in goldsmithing and studied gemstones for identification. So I can tell the difference between a moissanite and a diamond. But the money is just not there to have stayed in that field. I had sent an application for the city of Toronto and looking at a couple of courses. I'll keep looking ahead for the opportunities that are out there...GM

metzican

Suspension Lift
Here is something to consider. Are you willing to move? If no. Take a good look around you and see what is available for these jobs you may want. Classes are not cheap. You might love welding. But the pay around you sucks or there may not be the type of job you want or the market might be flooded. Do you want constant hours? or a screwed up schedule. Welding can have both but the money fluctuates a lot depending on where you are at and the level you are certified with.

ramiromunoz

Test Drive
I read in a business magazine a couple of years ago that traded skills-men (welders and the like) in North Dakota are well remunerated and it is a business that is growing.

metzican

Suspension Lift
I read in a business magazine a couple of years ago that traded skills-men (welders and the like) in North Dakota are well remunerated and it is a business that is growing.

That was a couple years ago. With the price of crude oil now that area is flooded with people looking for jobs and businesses once booming filing bankruptcy.

KChurch86

Banned
Founding Member
As a CNC Machinist/operator, I can tell you that running production work sucks, regardless of the industry.

From 2004-2010 I worked at a gun shop, same handful of parts day in and day out. Mandatory 60 hour weeks for 8 months straight. Made over 130,000 Bushmaster/YHM AR-15 upper receivers my first year on one particular machine. Never got credit for anything, no attaboys, no thank yous. Started at $7.50/hr., left at $17.50/hr. for something better.

2010-2013 I worked at an aerospace shop, started on regular production but quickly got moved to more of a R&D prototyping position. Lots of job perks but the owner was a p***k. Better pay and unlimited overtime. Taught myself to program, taught myself Mastercam. Every job was different and it was always challenging and interesting, kept it fun and new. Clashed with my boss one too many times and it cost me the job.

2014-present and I'm at another production shop that works mainly for the oil industry. Work is plentiful, but the monotony is back and it's not challenging. Took a $20,000/year pay cut for this job but it's the only place that wanted to hire me. I'm running lathes now, before this job I really only ever ran mills. It's cool that I'm learning lathes now, but that's the only thing that makes it interesting. Once I know lathes as well as I know mills, it's going to be tough to do this day in and day out. I'm only 29 and I'd like to think I can stay in this industry until I retire from it, but I also know that I get bored easily. The fact that I've done this since I was 18 is a feat in itself. The only other jobs I've had were 5 years of farming during the summer while I was in school, and a couple months working under the table for a small mom-and-pop automotive repair shop in 2013/2014 after I lost my job at the aerospace shop. That work was fun, but it was more hell on my body than anything. Not that being a machinist is much better, but I digress...

This type of work is almost nothing but monotonous, it's the same task all the time. What I've learned so far is that prototype work is the only real way to have variety in this industry. If the shop that I worked prototyping for had it's s*** together I'm petty sure I'd still be there and I'd still be happy with my career. But, it's all I know, I didn't go to college for anything and formal education isn't my thing anyway.

I don't mean to sound like such a Debby Downer here, but production work is exactly what it sounds like. You show up to make things and count the hours until you can go home. There isn't much fun to be had. I can say that a job like this can be very comfortable, you get very good at the tasks you're assigned to and it becomes second-nature. If the feeling of comfort stays stronger than the monotony, then embrace the comfort and don't look back.

I do hope you find something that works for you, I know what it's like to be in that rut, but I'm also too lazy and stubborn to work to get out of it.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Bought an X
Update: Getting my resume together. Acquiring reference letters. I've got a couple of leads. Taking my time right now as my lovely wife just got laid off and after 12 years of routine she's quite devastated, so right now I need to focus on being in her corner for support. That being said, I won't let something get by me...GM

Murdoch

Bought an X
Update:
Arms are bad. X-rays good. Ultra sound revealed ripped muscles in the arm and shoulder. Next week I make an appointment for an MRI. Crap I need a game plan. Wednesday going to an open house at IT TECH they have courses for welding tickets and CNC. Thought I would check it out. First I need to know what the MRI reveals...GM

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
I'd go w/o knowing what the MRI shows.

Its info...and, an opportunity to get it.

You don't have anything to lose by going...but you can guarantee a loss by NOT going.

Murdoch

Bought an X
I'd go w/o knowing what the MRI shows.

Its info...and, an opportunity to get it.

You don't have anything to lose by going...but you can guarantee a loss by NOT going.
Hey thanks man, I called today. I'm checking it out and I'll keep you all posted...GM