AC Compressor Conversion

xterraminator

Wheeling
I know there might be a thread on this already but can a 2000 xterra AC compressor be used as an air compressor? If so any mods need to be done to it and what kind of pressure can it deliver? This week I am pulling out the AC rad and condenser and fan. Don't need it anymore and with it gone it allows more air flow though the coolant rad. Dead weight to be removed. I believe if its not being used remove it.

xterraminator

Wheeling
I'd be interested in finding out. I was thinking by having its pressure output go to a small tank that will house a small pressure switch. The actuating of a pressure switch on the tank in series with a main on/off switch in the cabin will turn the power off to the AC compressor clutch. From the tank two lines out to the front and back bumpers. Its a nice winter project.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
I'm more familiar with the guys using York A/C compressors than xterra AC compressors...but I imagine it would at least be analogous if they don't need additional lubrication. (The Yorks used had a separate oil reservoir, the X might use the freon for lubrication, so it would not work...but, I never checked to see, so, look to confirm)

Take in the air through some filters and water separators, compress it, and blow it through a one way valve into a tank. Plumb the tank with a relief, drain, and manifold for where you want the air to go, with solenoids, etc, where needed. A relay to turn on the compressor when the tank pressure drops below a preset range can be convenient...I did that on mine at least.

If you use air tools, or an air locker, etc, the line should have a regulator on it too...to avoid over pressuring the tools/locker, etc.

Last edited:

xterraminator

Wheeling
So I have all the parts(air inlet filter, oil mister, oil/water separator, check valve etc..) to make up the OBA system. The one question I have is on the stock AC compressor is the inlet the one near the front or the back> I have an inlet and outlet on the compressor, just don't know which is which. The manual does not help much. Thanks.