Looking for 2005+ off road

jhill15

Test Drive
Hi everyone one, I am new to the site but not new to Xterra's. I used to own a 2004 and frequented club x but I ended up selling it about a year ago. Now I am in the market for a newer X. Just like the title, I want a 2005+ off road with an axle lock.

I have found one but I need a little help. Its a 2005 manual transmission "no smod...shew" with 80k on it. My question is about the manual transmission, beeting the smod is great but I hear the manuals eat clutches like ever 15-20k miles. Does anyone have any experience with these and are there any other things I should be looking out for that are prone to failure on the early 2nd gens.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
If you're eating clutches every 20k, you're doing something wrong. My 1st gen has almost the same clutch as the 2nd gen, and I'm at 112k on the OE clutch.

jhill15

Test Drive
If you're eating clutches every 20k, you're doing something wrong. My 1st gen has almost the same clutch as the 2nd gen, and I'm at 112k on the OE clutch.
Thats what im thinking too, but I read alot of reviews on the 2nd about eating them. I have driven manuals since I started driving...20 years ago and I have never had that problem with any of the vehicles ive owned. I have a 2012 versa hb 6 speed and haven't had any issues with it.

Thanks man!

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
And actually, I had a conversation with a Nissan master tech at a dealership the other week about clutches. His opinion, is that if you're not getting 100k out of an OE Nissan clutch it's your fault.

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
All Nissan manuals use the same clutch system.. My g35 had 150k with a factory clutch..

The people I hear eating clutches must have no idea what they are doing

jhill15

Test Drive
Thanks guys for the replies. Hopefully I can purchase this rig soon, and if not then my searchcwill continue.

Yorkdiver

Test Drive
All Nissan manuals use the same clutch system.. My g35 had 150k with a factory clutch.. The people I hear eating clutches must have no idea what they are doing

Chances are they are riding the clutch off-roading instead of using 4LO. I did it for the first part of my first run until I was educated.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

XTorrey

First Fill-Up (of many)
We've been wheeling a 2006 with a manual transmission since 2013 (primarily in rugged Moab since we live close) as well as using our rig as a daily driver and long distance traveler, and we're still on the same clutch after 30,000+ miles. If you don't drive and wheel like an idiot, the clutch shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

snoborderphx

Bought an X
I'll sell you my 2012 automatic (No SMOD) P4X, already titan swapped, have Alcan's on order (4" lift)...there is a SAS'ed 2nd Gen I'd like to get that's out in Colorado, but my wife will NOT let me have 2 Xterras! LOL

Sn0

jhill15

Test Drive
I went and checked out an 05 today that just popped up on autotrader at a dealership in my area. The ad said that it was a manual but when I got there it was an auto. The clear coat on the hood was pretty much gone but I thought what the heck since I was already there I would go ahead and check it out. So I grabbed a sales guy and he got the key...the only key that cane with it, no fob or anything...I thought that was kinda weird until I unlocked it and it didn't have any power options all the way down to the windows, which had the ol roll down window handle. So the option of adding key fobs is out the roll down window lol.

The "slip" light was on so I'm not sure if thats a common problem with these, i'm also not sure what would cause it.

I had to pass on this one...as they wanted $9,000 for a base model with 122k on the clock...pass!

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
The "all manual" trucks are super hard to find. I'm one of the few who would love manual windows.

I paid less for my fully loaded OR, similar miles, and with tax/tags included. Keep looking and best of luck.

jhill15

Test Drive
The "all manual" trucks are super hard to find. I'm one of the few who would love manual windows.

I paid less for my fully loaded OR, similar miles, and with tax/tags included. Keep looking and best of luck.
Thanks theFauxFox, i love the simplicity of the all manual trucks "less stuff electrical to go wrong" but unfortunately all I can think of is what if a bee flew in the truck with the kids in the back and I had to pull over real quick and manually roll down the windows lol I know its kind of stupid...that and I really like power locks.

None the less the search continues!

Thanks again man!

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
When they said "manual" they meant everything but the transmission. Heh.

I had to pass on this one...as they wanted $9,000 for a base model with 122k on the clock...pass!

Also, holy crap that's expensive. Those guys were out if their minds.

jhill15

Test Drive
When they said "manual" they meant everything but the transmission. Heh.

Also, holy crap that's expensive. Those guys were out if their minds.
Lol thats funny! I should have told that to the salesman lol.

Yeah $9,000 is waaaaay to much for that truck. I figure it will see the auction before too long.

The search continues!

jhill15

Test Drive
I found a 2007 off road manual with 125k on it for $8800. Does 07 models have rear diff issues? What are some other things other than leaking rear axles should I look for?

Thanks!

ryandavenport

First Fill-Up (of many)
I found a 2007 off road manual with 125k on it for $8800. Does 07 models have rear diff issues? What are some other things other than leaking rear axles should I look for?

Thanks!

2007 got the spider gear increase, but they still had issues with the rear axle seals leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk