Randomly Dying

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
So driving the X tonight, in the pouring rain mind you, it randomly died 3 times driving through town about 10 miles. It probably would've died more times if I hadn't started figuring out how to stop it.

The problem was the RPMs kept falling. Sometimes enough for it to die. Obviously. This happened when I was coasting down hill.

Now, I have a code being thrown for bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor. Could a faulty O2 sensor cause this? My RPMs have been fluctuating quite a bit just in idle. If not an O2 sensor, what does this sound like?

Thanks for your help guys!

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I know its a pretty common issue when they go. The RPM's all over the place.. Could be water in under the cap too...

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
I know its a pretty common issue when they go. The RPM's all over the place.. Could be water in under the cap too...

The only thing that made me think it wasn't that was its never had any problem starting. Its fired right up, no issues. Definitely something to check out though.

By the way, I just received my first email from XN in a while haha

StupidFish

Need Bigger Tires
Just throwing this out there. Had a simialr problem with my x. Got worse when it rained. Replaced distributer, cap, wires, fuel pump.... Turns out the electrical harness to the fuel pump had a broken wire. Worth checking out.

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
If its a bad distributor, it only gets worse. When mine went out, I had to start the engine and then rev it to 2.5k while shifting (foot on the brake) into gear just to keep it going. I have a write up on how to replace on the site.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna swap out the o2 sensor first since I'm throwing a code for it and I already have sitting in the backseat. Class, work and rain doesn't allow much time to get on it.

If that doesn't fix it, we'll backup and punt. Probably check that dizzy. Hoping and praying it's the o2 sensor!

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Check the intake tube for cracks too

Yes this. if the tube between the air box and intake manifold has cracks it's pulling in more air than is being measured by the mass air sensor. Which results in a lean condition. This can cause the engine to die and throw an O2 code.

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
Yes this. if the tube between the air box and intake manifold has cracks it's pulling in more air than is being measured by the mass air sensor. Which results in a lean condition. This can cause the engine to die and throw an O2 code.
Back when I still had resonators, this was a common issue for me. The one after the MAF had issues staying in place after checking the air filter.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
From what I noticed the intake tube seems to be in good shape. No cracks or holes I noticed.

Another characteristic I noticed of the problem. It will only die while coasting at speed. If I'm going like 5 MPH it's fine. And while idling, it won't die. Just when you get up to speed and then coast. I'm not sure if that will help narrow down the problem but it's worth mentioning haha

StupidFish

Need Bigger Tires
Fuel delivery issue? Sounds like maybe something is causing the fuel pump to not deliver the fuel it needs to keep the engine running when at speed. That would allow it to stay in idle and be ok when accelerating but when trying to maintain it cant send enough fuel. Just not sure what would cause that..... Maybe fuel filter, pump, clogged lines?

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Update!

So a complete tune up (new plugs, wires, cap and rotor) and a new O2 sensor later... The problem is still kinda there... kinda. I drove it around trying to make it die, but it never did. The RPMs still ducked down to around 300 or so. Definitely not normal. So it strangely seems like the dying problem has gotten a little better-ish.

The codes I'm still throwing: the infamous knock sensor, P0300 random misfire and the new one, P0171 which means the bank 1 system is too lean. The same bank the O2 sensor was just replaced. The common causes for the P0171 code are dirty or faulty MAF sensor, various vacuum leaks, PCV valve, etc.

Get this. On my original trip to drop off the little trailer in the pouring rain at night. I stopped half way in the 20ish mile journey at the farmer's market under a shed. I loosened the hose clamp holding on the snorkel head enough to twist it around to have the head facing the rear of the X. Tighten the hose clamp and went on my way. After pulling around of the farmer's market, the X died for the first time about 50 yards down the road.

Is that too weird to be a coincidence? Could water have somehow gotten down to mess up the MAF sensor? The X never showed any signs (that I'm aware of) until this. I figured twisting the head back would make it better in a hard rain..

With all this new info.. What do you guys think?

KBC

Bought an X
I'm having some similar problems but it hasn't died on me yet. Happens once in awhile when the engine is cold. Sometimes I give it gas and the RPMs don't rise, sometimes there some weird shifting in the AT when going downhill without my foot on the gas. Not sure what it is yet but I'll check for codes tomorrow, no CEL though.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
This needs to be mine. If only I could snap my fingers and have this paid and installed in the X :D

We actually keep this in stock at the store.

T7R850W.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
So I found it cheaper on Rock Auto, the dizzy is ordered! Hope you're right, Dave! Thanks for all the help and input. It's greatly appreciated!

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
I cleared out my codes the other day. On the way back home from the test drive, my CEL light came back on. Still showing the P0300 and the P0171. P0300 is a random misfire and P0171 is the bank 1 is too lean. Should I try to check the fuel pressure and maybe do a vacuum test?

harryron

The Grumpiest of Mid-Westerners
I think I am having this same problem. I am just wondering how big of a pain in the butt would it be to modify one of the universal tubes for a cold air intake to work. It would eliminate the need to plug the hole for the baffle if it works.

sent from the middle of a corn field.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
I think I am having this same problem. I am just wondering how big of a pain in the butt would it be to modify one of the universal tubes for a cold air intake to work. It would eliminate the need to plug the hole for the baffle if it works.

If it was a whole lot cheaper I'd say it'd be worth a try. As long as the tube is close to the same size it could probably work.

harryron

The Grumpiest of Mid-Westerners
If it was a whole lot cheaper I'd say it'd be worth a try. As long as the tube is close to the same size it could probably work.
I found a big crack ( big enough to fit the tip of my finger in) yesterday afternoon and used some garilla tape and sealed it off as good as I could. After that my P0300 code went away but now I'm getting a pending P0430 code. I may give it a try this afternoon.