"Big Black" lbishop's 3500 build

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
Sadly I let the big girl go in trade for the monster now sitting in my driveway. We were in need of something to tow a horse trailer with. Plus we needed a truck for some other stuff around the house

2010 Ram 3500 srw 4x4 "Big Horn Edition"
*40,350 miles
*6.7 liter Cummins
* 6 inch rough country lift
* 37x12.50x17 nitto trail grapplers
* line-x Bedliner and rocker panels (happening 1-14)

Truck has been babied all its life. Never had a programmer or any deletes done. Previous owner lifted it and the traded it in. Best part is the truck doesn't use def. does have a dpf though. Truck will eventually be deleted once my warranty is up. Stealer ship put a 4 yr. 100k power train on it.

But I'm not out of the xterra game completely. Got a new project. Planned on fixing this 01 and flipping it, but with the big girl gone, it just became the new project. Picked it up for $600 w/ a blown head gasket.

Right now I'm enjoying playing with the Cummins and moving my parts from the big girl over to 01

Thanks for looking

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
Nothing really new mod wise to the truck... Oil and fuel filter change from the stealer ship

Really want to delete the truck but don't wanna void my warranty.

On to the point of my post:

Drove my truck to work the other and one of the guys I work with comes in and goes " I parked my truck beside yours. He goes on to say, I got out and sprinkled miracle grow all around. I've got my fingers crossed it grows like yours lol".

Last edited:

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
Ouch!

About to just say screw it and delete the truck. Got in to go somewhere the other morning and the truck popped a check engine light and was idling funny. Parked and went on to the dentist in the other car. My wife met me at the dealership and dropped it off.

Truck is throwing a code a code for the dpf. Dealership calls to inform to me today I need a new differential pressure sensor, and it'll be $635 for that. Not covered under warranty due to it being an emission problem.

Funny how the s*** the EPA mandates has to be on these trucks and is "illegal" to remove is covered under warranty.

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
How does the differential pressure sensor relate to emissions? That's crazy!

Im not really sure why they call it a differential pressure sensor lol but it was explained to me by saying there's sensor all the way form the turbo back that read exhaust gas temp, and stuff like that. The sensor I lost reads how full of soot the dpf and tells the truck to regen. The sensor sets back near the differential, or at least that's where the name comes I guess lol

Dealership did say they would work with me on deletes. Basically all I have to do is keep all the stock stuff, and bring it in with me if I have to have any warranty work done. They'll tell the warranty people the pulled it for trouble shooting reasons

jg8992

Hi, my name is Brandon
Im not really sure why they call it a differential pressure sensor lol but it was explained to me by saying there's sensor all the way form the turbo back that read exhaust gas temp, and stuff like that. The sensor I lost reads how full of soot the dpf and tells the truck to regen. The sensor sets back near the differential, or at least that's where the name comes I guess lol

Dealership did say they would work with me on deletes. Basically all I have to do is keep all the stock stuff, and bring it in with me if I have to have any warranty work done. They'll tell the warranty people the pulled it for trouble shooting reasons
Might want to get that in writing from the dealership. I don't trust dealerships

ryandavenport

First Fill-Up (of many)

It's a differential pressure sensor because it reads a pressure difference front to back in the dpf. This is how it is able to tell how much spot is in the DPF (for instance if the pressure differential is high, the DPF is very full because behind the DPF is close to 1 atmosphere and in front of the DPF will be higher. It has nothing to do with the rear axle or components. If you don't have emissions testing where you are, remove the emissions crap. They can only deny warranty on emissions stuff if the emissions equipment is removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
And it gets worse for the truck. The truck popped another check engine light. I thought ok another emissions problem. I'll delete the truck and it'll be problem solved. Took the truck to the dealership to have the codes pulled and truck is getting no boost from the turbo.

48,000 miles and I'm being told the turbo needs to be cleaned or replaced. The service manager tells me that Chrysler recommends the turbo be replaced because cleaning the turbo is working for these trucks. I told the service manager to diagnose the problem on the truck and see if the extended warranty will cover it. Not to do any work without my say so.

They call me this afternoon to tell me it'll be $6000 to pull the turbo and associated work not covered under Chrysler power train warranty. They said we'll go against Chrysler and do a turbo a cleaning and it'll be $550. I told the guy to get me an answer on my extended warranty and not to touch the truck again.

I really hate stealerships

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
Well a bit of good news, the extended warranty is going to cover a new aftermarket turbo. All I'm responsible for is a speed sensor. $400 for the speed sensor on my end.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of this truck. The gremlins in this thing are starting to show bad

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Yea, I wouldn't risk it, I know from experience. My truck gave me problems early on and I just kept at it and 4 years later, engine blew on me.

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
@prime, I'm kinda of in a jam with this truck. Chrysler has a 5 year-100,000 mile power train. My build date was January with ny truck being a 2010. My powertrain is up through Chrysler. Enter the extended warranty was is supposedly a in house Chrysler warranty, whatever that means lol. Basically it's not worth a d**n.

I really like this truck, but it's starting to become a headache. I run the numbers on trading... Kbb books it at 32,000 or so on trade in at a dealership,( which I think is probably a little high). I can get into a 2016 tradesman edition with everything I want for 44 and some change. A local stealership has a 6 speed manual laramine for mid fifties

The +'s on my truck are the pre def trucks bring a premium right now. Which will help at trade in

* plus I get any Chrysler vehicle for 1% below dealer invoice being an AT&T employee. Plus they have to give me all rebates and incentives their running at the time.

* but at the same time I hate to roll what I owe on my current truck to another. The. Again I wouldn't be getting a lower interest rate and the Chrysler warranty not some extended bullsh*+.

It really sucks to be paying on a truck and having to dump money into for repairs. I'm really leaning on cutting my losses and letting it go

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
Trucks fixed :kewl:

Didn't get truck back today though. Dealership called me at like 4:20 to let me know they needed my signature on paperwork from the extended warranty company. Which would release funds from the warranty company to the dealership. So I might have my truck back by Monday or Tuesday

* problem with that 4:20 phone call is I was good 45 minutes away for work. Just happened that I was on my way in to the shop.

I'm really over this crap and will be finding another dealership to use.