Rear Spring Replacement Options...

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Guys I need some help. I have some saggy springs.

B73A6EF7-A1C8-415F-8F9A-FF2F686D35C2_zpsyhj8nsfv.jpg

What do you think would be my best way to go about this? Right now I have the OEM springs (minus the overload), AC 3 pack AAL, and revolver shackles.

Option 1: Order new OEM replacement springs, swap those out and put it back just like it is.

Option 2: Order an all new spring pack, most likely, Alcans. This is probably the best option but also the most expensive.

Option 3: SOA. If I did do this, what would be my best way to go about it? Order the OEM replacement springs and just swap those over? I'd like to keep it right at my height now or a little less. I have a buddy who runs a local fab shop that can help me out with everything.
If I were to go SOA, what combo would I need to keep around my same height?

I believe that's it for now... I'm sure more questions will arise haha thanks guys!

Last edited:

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
I have this exact same issue. Irritating really. I vote option 1 if you are happy the way it is. IF the budget allows it, and you wanted to anyway, its a good time for upgrades.

NMTerras

Suspension Lift
I actually had good luck with re-arching mine on Terra. But then I sold her, so not sure how they held up long term. But it was like night and day after I had it done.

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
I vote order two heavy duty rear leaf spring from HERE. When you get them pull the old set off the truck and take them apart. Take apart the new set. Ditch the overload (again), add your “AC 3 pack AAL, and revolver shackles” to the new set. Put them on the truck using new u-bolts.

SRStaff

Bought an X
What Bklyn.X said. The HD he linked gave a stock X a slight lift. With your rear bumper/tire carrier plus heave wheel and tire hanging back there; most of that weight should balance it out. You still have the revolvers to let the rear articulate just fine.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
I vote order two heavy duty rear leaf spring from HERE. When you get them pull the old set off the truck and take them apart. Take apart the new set. Ditch the overload (again), add your “AC 3 pack AAL, and revolver shackles” to the new set. Put them on the truck using new u-bolts.

Yeah that's not a bad idea. Maybe even take the smallest leaf spring out to level it up. It would be a cheaper and less invasive, as well.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
I went SOA. Just remember if you go SOA you will experience axle wrap.

I am thinking about going with something like the Calmini set but I'm just so torn what way to go. I'd like to see which way you chose.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

caseycamby

Suspension Lift

I am thinking about going with something like the Calmini set but I'm just so torn what way to go. I'd like to see which way you chose.

I'd really like to try this. I'm just concerned about getting TOO MUCH lift in the rear.

I've already talked with my fab guy and he said he could weld in some traction bars to help with that.

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member

Build a anti-wrap bar. Its like building a radius arm.

granitex

Skid Plates
Founding Member
A few of us are running a bastard pack built with firsr and second gen springs with a couple AAL thrown in for good measure

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
A few of us are running a bastard pack built with firsr and second gen springs with a couple AAL thrown in for good measure

Me and my buddy were talking about this. I've been doing some research and saw where some 60-70ish Chevy springs will work too? A local junkyard has a set of 72 C10 springs for $45. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Jbat

First Fill-Up (of many)
Im running stock springs with Calmini shackles with SOA. I also got a anti-wrap bar kit from Ruff Stuff specialties to keep the springs from wrapping

SRStaff

Bought an X
New leafs and soa will be 5+ inches of lift on stock shackles

Stock springs plus stock shackles give you stock height. Axle tube is roughly 3". OEM spring perch is in the ball park of 3/4" that equals roughly 3 3/4" just doing SOA. If you have a fab guy that knows what he is doing; he can get the spring perch a little closer. Have a bad fab guy; he will make it taller for no reason at all. Perch just needs enough room for the center pin to go through.

SRStaff

Bought an X
That last factor I did not add is the spring pack thickness. Depends on what you get. They will also add to the total lift amount when setup as SOA. One of the reasons for Casper running JY OEM springs. They have already sagged so the free arch does not have as much affect on lift. OEM spring packs range from 1 7/16 to 1 13/16" thickness. Granted, that is with the OL leaf in the pack. Pitch that and it thins out the pack a good bit. Also why I mentioned to tuck the spring perch closer.

Jbat

First Fill-Up (of many)
Don't you have quite a bit more lift than I do?

I probably have a solid 6 inches

Stock springs plus stock shackles give you stock height. Axle tube is roughly 3". OEM spring perch is in the ball park of 3/4" that equals roughly 3 3/4" just doing SOA. If you have a fab guy that knows what he is doing; he can get the spring perch a little closer. Have a bad fab guy; he will make it taller for no reason at all. Perch just needs enough room for the center pin to go through.

Edit...NVM-I see you have already addressed this.

Spring pack will also affect height because now you are placing the bottom of the spring pack on the axle not the top.

SRStaff

Bought an X
100% correct Jbat. Traditional shackles also work better with SOA also. Able to move the shackle hanger around so your can get the shackle to lay down during compression. Personally like to get as much stuffage I can without inverting springs and not having to touch the OEM bumpstops. Alcan and Deaver packs get thick quick compared to OEM.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Thanks so much for the advice guys. I believe I've decided I'm gonna try and go for it and see what happens.

Stay hanging around because I'm sure I'm gonna have more questions haha