Hub assembly

Bile

Test Drive
Hi guys. Gotta problem I need help with. Major newb here, and ran into a BIG snag. My truck is currently jacked up waiting.
I was replacing my rotors on my 2000 Xterra and seem to have found a broken part. Now, the part in my Haynes manual, and on 1 video I found, say the part is a CAM ASSEMBLY. But on Nissan site, there is no such thing. And the guy I called at Nissan, could not figure out what I was talking about.
After I took off the hub, I removed the snap ring, and then the big part that slides off after the snap ring. That is the part that fell apart. Actually broke. It has a plastic piece holding on a round slinky style spring.

I attached pics of the part I'm whining about.

And how do I know if my hubs are manual or auto locking?

Sorry to bother everyone. HELP PLEASE!!

Attachments

• DSCN0235.jpg
    DSCN0235.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0239.jpg
    DSCN0239.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0238.jpg
    DSCN0238.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 25

JeffPro4x

Hot Pipe
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
If they're stock hubs, they are auto. The fixed cam assembly is not available from Nissan. You'll have to buy whole new hubs from Nissan or warn manual hubs.

Last edited:

Bile

Test Drive
Thanks for the response Jeff. (fyi, your like 20 minutes from me)
They are stock hubs. So then they are Auto locking?
So then the cam assembly comes with the Hub? It cant be bought as a separate piece? Nissan doesnt make Hubs for 2000's anymore. I hope someone makes an after market one. Ughs.

Bile

Test Drive
Not far at all.
Ahh. Ok. I see now. I didnt know you can use manual hubs in replace of auto hubs. That doesnt damage anything? They fit right together?

Bile

Test Drive
Plug and play means just remove the stock and set in the new? It fits perfectly?
The piece is broke. I kinda pieced it back together. The yellow plastic piece that is holding the spring going around it, is broken. Not sure if I wanna try to drive it with it pieced together.

JeffPro4x

Hot Pipe
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Perfect fit. We had it happen to a buddy of mine. You'll be fine to drive. Don't think you'll have 4wd though. His clicked when he engaged it. He drove on it for a month or so before he got his warns on.

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
WARN Manuals are, as JeffPro4x says, “plug and playâ€￾ Take off the OEM autos, put on the WARNs.
Folks with them seem to like them. They do stick out a bit more then the autos and you do have to get out of your truck to lock and unlock them.
There have been cases where the bolts on the WARNs have failed or backed out egging out the holes in the wheel hub. Thread loc is your friend.

(I run Nissan Manuals off an old Hard Body on my ’01)

With your autos; what broke:

Auto%20Hub%201_zpsulgkeggj.jpg

Plastic, top left? That seems to be a common problem. That part was never available separate and always had to be purchased as part of the entire hub assembly. I’ve seen them run broken…as long as it was able to hold the spring in place. The Auto Hub for our trucks is no longer available through Nissan…you could try a junk yard though they are becoming hard to find. I hold on to any I come across…

Last edited:

Bile

Test Drive
Ok. Thank you guys for the responses.
Wow. It's as easy as that to just switch em over? That I could deal with if need be.
So until I fix this, it's still ok to drive around? I did piece it back together and stuck it back on.
Ok, the pics. The top left yellow was broken. And at first I thought the spring was messed up too, but it looks like from your pic, that the small spot on it, is supposed to be there. Now, I was able to semi piece together all three pieces on the left. But a chunk of yellow clip is missing. And then I put together all the pieces from the right. And stuck it back on the truck. Havent driven it yet though. So all those pieces together are called the cam assembly, or does it have a different name? And are they pieces that come with the hub?
And if I decide to go the quicker route and just buy some Warn manuals, does that assembly come with it?

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
Yes, all those pieces together are called the "Fixed cam assembly" that is part of the “Auto-lock Free-running hubâ€￾;

Auto%20Hub%202_zpsd0xy1ecz.jpg

FrontAxle.jpg

It is not used with a manual hub.

I’ve never installed WARN hubs (only replaced broken ones with Nissan manuals for a friend) but I think you’ll need your Spindle Washer and Snap Ring. Nissan says not to reuse the snap ring but I always have unless I trashed it taking it off.
Otherwise the WARN Hubs should come with all you need and, hopefully, instructions.

Last edited:

01XterraPhilly

First Fill-Up (of many)
yo homie jeff just effed up my hub when we replaced the axles a month ago...hahahhaa..either get the auto hubs from nissan meaning you can shift the 4wd lever in to 4wd and not get out....OR you can get warn manual hubs where you get out and lock the hubs and shift the truck in to 4wd...i replaced mine with the warn hubs and they are super easy to swap out. Also the warns are cheaper price wise if thats worth anything. let me know what you get and i can come over and help possibly

01XterraPhilly

First Fill-Up (of many)
In the meantime while you get your parts ordered just take off the fixed cam assembly and do not use 4wd. you can mess something up. If its off and you dont shift the transfer case in to 4wd youll be fine. and mine did the same thing as yours. the fixed cam assembly busted and wouldnt disengage 4wd on my drivers side

Bile

Test Drive
Thank you so much for all the info everybody. I love the pics Brklyn X. I printed out a copy of it. I think I am going to go with the Manual Warns, since Nissan cant get them for me. And I cant find any originals online. I called junk yards, and U pull it yards all within 50 miles of me, and no used Nissan auto hubs. If anyone has any extra stashed around somewhere, feel free to message me with a deal. My snap ring is still in ok condition, and with my luck, if I tried to get a new one, Nissan will tell me they are no longer made either. LOL.
13 vehicles in my 20 years of driving, and this is the first one I ever had to pull the Hub to replace the rotor. Had a buddy of mine who is a mechanic, show me how to do one side, and I did the other all on my own. Learned a lot. Love learnin!
Hey buddy, long time no chat. How ya been. I'll private message ya later.

Bile

Test Drive
Welp, I got the new Warn hubs in, and I see it came with a big bag of screws, bolts and such. I thought they were supposed to be a plug and play thing. The instructions with it are not very helpful. Anyone got pics or such as how to install them? Thanks guys.

Bile

Test Drive
Thank you so very much for the response. Unfortunately, there were no images at all on this link. Lol. It still is a lot more helpful than the paper the hubs came with. Lol.