Ocala National Forest Weekend Event Jan 27th -Jan 29th

importpower99

Bought an X
Hello All,
Its that time of year where the weather is nice in Florida so camping can be enjoyed without sweating your a$$ off. So lets get together and and hit some trails at Ocala National Forest. This will be a 3 day event for those traveling so we can arrive Friday night to camp and then wheel Saturday and Sunday. Below are the preliminary details which i will update as everyone sees fit

Dates:
Friday Jan 27th
Arrive for Overnight Camping at desired campground listed below​
Saturday Jan 28th
9:00 AM Line up for leaving the trails/ Arrive at Lake Delancy West for those who stayed at a difference campground​
9:30 AM Put the trucks in Drive and hit the trails​
Sunday Jan 29th
9:00 AM Line up for leaving the trails/Arrive at Lake Delancy West for those who stayed at a difference campground​
9:30 AM Put the trucks in Drive and hit the trails​
Or for individuals who have a long drive like myself, we will head back home

Campgrounds:
Since everyone has different requirements for camping (myself included) I will provide 2 campgrounds to use since one will not have electric hook up.

Fort Mccoy KOA - For those who want electrical hook-up
You can make reservations or attempt a walk in to see if there is an opening
$19.00 w Electric
$42.18 will be your total for two nights with tax
Directions:
Driving south: I-75 to Exit 368 (CR 318), turn left (East) to Hwy 441 (2nd red light) turn right . Turn left on Old 301 (200A), turn left on CR 316, follow signs and go through Fort McCoy and Eureka on CR 316. Cross over tall bridge to first road on left (160th Ave Rd), go about 11 miles to Lake Oklawaha KOA, on left.
Driving north: I-75 to Exit 358, turn right (SR 326) to Hwy 441/301. Turn left, go to second light turn right onto SR 329. To Hwy 200A (old 301) turn left (North) to CR 316. right on CR 316, go through Fort McCoy and Eureka. Cross over tall bridge to the first road on left (160th Ave Rd). Go about 11 miles to Lake Okalwaha KOA, on the left.

Lake Delancy West - For those who don't care about amenities and want the lowest cost
Fees:
$6 Camping - Toilets, Drinking Water, No Electric -
Reservations: Not needed, first come first serve, I dont believe this one ever gets full though.
Directions - From Salt Springs, drive north along SR 19 for 5.7 miles to the "Lake Delancy" sign on the left side of the highway. Turn left. Follow this forest road, NFR 66, around the north side of the lake to the campground and day use area entrance clearly marked on the left.

Back up Campground for primitive camping: In the strange and rare event that West is full we can default to this one
Lake Delancy East
$10 per night – Bathroom, No other amenities
Direction- From Salt Springs, drive north along SR 19 to the "Lake Delancy" sign on the left side of the highway. Turn left. Follow this access road to the turnoff on the left into the campground
Truck Requirements
Front and Rear Recovery Points
CB Radio (Optional but encouraged)
Anything else I missed

List of Attendees: Please post if you are going or probably going and I will update this list
  1. Importpower99
  2. theblademaster
  3. Yell-X
  4. mauro1
  5. 29erClan
  6. jr_ss
  7. rthinchey
  8. CD-FB
  9. skip371
  10. cpalka9 (Possible)
  11. Ocala X (Possible)
List of Trails
Ocala National Forest - OHV Riding & Camping:OHV Trail Riding

Last edited:

cpalka9

Bought an X
I would love to attend. I'm going to try and get off work so I can camp and ride during the day. If I can't get off I'd still be down to come out for some late afternoon or night rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpalka9

Bought an X
Awesome I added you to the list. And we should def do a night ride

Awesome. If there is big enough group that doesn't mind some more primitive camping, we can reserve buck lake for $50 a night for 2 nights. It's has toliets at least and water. It's pretty centrally located too. Doe lake is more expensive but it will have more amenities.
Let me know if you want anything scoped out. I'm very local to the area.

cpalka9

Bought an X
You can put me down as a definite yes. I got that Saturday off work so I'm in for sure

Ocala X

Test Drive
There is a restaurant in Salt Springs that we could meet up at... its called Bass Champions (not making it up). I've driven by the place dozens of times but have never stopped in. It been there while and seem to get decent reviews. It seems like there is plenty of parking to handle the aforementioned bass rigs. Its about as centrally located in the ONF as can be.

importpower99

Bought an X
There is a restaurant in Salt Springs that we could meet up at... its called Bass Champions (not making it up). I've driven by the place dozens of times but have never stopped in. It been there while and seem to get decent reviews. It seems like there is plenty of parking to handle the aforementioned bass rigs. Its about as centrally located in the ONF as can be.

I just looked it up, reviews are good. I dont know about making it a meeting spot but maybe we can do a lunch there on Saturday.

cpalka9

Bought an X
Does any one have any suggestions for campgrounds? Or more importantly, campgrounds with electrical hookup

We may have to stay at some heavier traffic campgrounds like Alexander springs or juniper springs to get electrical hookups. I don't recall big scrub has electrical but if it does I think that could be a good option, it's just VERY open.

importpower99

Bought an X
We may have to stay at some heavier traffic campgrounds like Alexander springs or juniper springs to get electrical hookups. I don't recall big scrub has electrical but if it does I think that could be a good option, it's just VERY open.

Gotcha I did some reseached and found two campgrounds that we can use to appeal to everyone based on their electrical hook up needs. Let me know if you see any issues with the campground info i put in the first post.

cpalka9

Bought an X
Gotcha I did some reseached and found two campgrounds that we can use to appeal to everyone based on their electrical hook up needs. Let me know if you see any issues with the campground info i put in the first post.

This sounds good to me. I'm not too familiar with the northern section so it will be new to me. Are you going to have everyone indicate which campground they are staying at? That way we can keep track of the group and not lose anybody.

importpower99

Bought an X
This sounds good to me. I'm not too familiar with the northern section so it will be new to me. Are you going to have everyone indicate which campground they are staying at? That way we can keep track of the group and not lose anybody.

ISn't the northern part where are the "official Trails" are? And good idea about the campground location, I will add that to my list. Thanks!

cpalka9

Bought an X
ISn't the northern part where are the "official Trails" are? And good idea about the campground location, I will add that to my list. Thanks!

Not to my knowledge, there are open trails all over the place. You can put me down for lake delancy west.

importpower99

Bought an X
Ok due to the Salt springs not having anything but walk sites available i changed the campground for those choosing sites with Electrical hook-ups to Fort Mccoy KOA which is a little further north and 11 miles away from Lake Delancy West.

importpower99

Bought an X
Happy Sunday All - All attendees should have received an email from me requesting some more info from you and also providing the contact info and names of the other attendees. If you have not, please check your spam from a sender named "importpower99"

Thanks

importpower99

Bought an X
Thanks everyone for making it out. It was good to meet fellow enthusiasts and I will try to get some more events planned to make sure this crowd grows. And if anyone has any ideas for events then please let it be known so we can increase our outings.

This was the first time that I was leading so I didn't get a chance to take a lot of pictures and videos but I will post what I have by end of day Tuesday, But if you have any images or videos be sure to share with the group.

Thanks again
Matthew

cpalka9

Bought an X
Thanks everyone for making it out. It was good to meet fellow enthusiasts and I will try to get some more events planned to make sure this crowd grows. And if anyone has any ideas for events then please let it be known so we can increase our outings.

This was the first time that I was leading so I didn't get a chance to take a lot of pictures and videos but I will post what I have by end of day Tuesday, But if you have any images or videos be sure to share with the group.

Thanks again
Matthew

Thanks for putting this all together. It was fun and I would definitely love to see more of these in the future

importpower99

Bought an X
Sadly I have no action shots, only stationary shots :(

2017-01-29-21-03-37.jpg

2017-01-29-21-05-50.jpg

2017-01-29-21-07-04.jpg

2017-01-29-21-08-43.jpg

2017-01-29-21-10-24.jpg

2017-01-29-21-13-31.jpg

2017-01-29-21-14-22.jpg

2017-01-29-21-16-15.jpg

2017-01-29-21-18-26.jpg

2017-01-29-21-19-59.jpg

2017-01-30-17-39-34.jpg

2017-01-29-21-27-18.jpg

2017-01-29-21-35-54.jpg

2017-01-30-17-38-01.jpg

2017-01-29-21-48-49.jpg

2017-01-29-21-46-34.jpg

Ocala X

Test Drive
Thanks for putting this together Matt. Michelle and I had good time meeting everyone and spending some time in the woods. I took few pics and a couple of time lapses. I will post them when I get chance. A shout out to Steve too for taking the lead on Sunday.