Google Maps - on the trails?

obi_krash

Suspension Lift
So Google is looking to expand the range of some of their maps in regions off the pavement. Right now it looks like they are focused on biking and hiking, but maybe it can expand.

I shared this on the VAXC facebook - but maybe others can apply and if enough of us maniacs do maybe they will be interested. I know here in VA a lot of our trail runs are done on forest roads or start out at forest roads. This could help expand the way we promote safe wheeling and treading lightly by having these trails on the maps.

Just something to consider - https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/News-Updates/Apply-Street-View-camera-loan-program/ba-p/74256

harryron

The Grumpiest of Mid-Westerners
My question is would this help in stopping countries from vacating trails? I know here in ohio most trails locations are keep under ropes so you don't get idiots going on them and causing damage. There is only two systems of unmaintained roads in ohio and one of them are under constent attack from land owners to shut them down.

sent from the middle of a corn field.

Rhaas

Need Bigger Tires
My question is would this help in stopping countries from vacating trails? I know here in ohio most trails locations are keep under ropes so you don't get idiots going on them and causing damage. There is only two systems of unmaintained roads in ohio and one of them are under constent attack from land owners to shut them down.

What you say about trails in Ohio being hidden is so true! I know there's got to be some trails around where I live, but yet I don't know about them. Do you know of any trails you can recommend? Thanks!

granitex

Skid Plates
Founding Member
I recommend not talking about them in open forums at all. I have seen too many of them shut down for a number of reasons. Asshats showing up and trashing stuff is the worst offenders, so that is why we don't discuss it in the open. Just about everything else around here is private so that is why you will not see much mentioned about it.

harryron

The Grumpiest of Mid-Westerners
I recommend not talking about them in open forums at all. I have seen too many of them shut down for a number of reasons. Asshats showing up and trashing stuff is the worst offenders, so that is why we don't discuss it in the open. Just about everything else around here is private so that is why you will not see much mentioned about it.
I agree with you 100% when I do run the trails here it is with a group of people that knows the trails like the back of their hands.