+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The story of a long forgotten 528i and I.

Crotch Gusset kirk Heading down a great road kirk's Avatar

The story of a long forgotten 528i and I.

Hello there. This is where my tale begins. Care to join me? I don't bite. A friend of mine, whom I do most of my automotive tomfoolery called me one day and asked if I savvy'd a hunt in a pasture or three for a few Isettas and some random nonsense. I told him I savvy'd just fine and away we went. I just so happened it was a fairly dreary day, but when we arrived, all that changed. In his pasture, two football fields from the road was a field full of cars and the making of a home made castle/barn, but that's a story for another day. He had plenty of cool stuff however, and I enjoyed looking at it all.

I think you get the point. The gentleman has a lot of cool project cars floating around, but none he really wanted to get rid of. He mentions off handledly that he has a "new" BMW that needs a new home, as he can no longer work the clutch comfortably. Im of course interested, and he walks us around the side of his barn, and out back. There I find her. Looking lost and forelorn.

Well hello there pretty. How are you? The gentleman explained that he had the car for quite sometime, but quit driving it years ago when his advanced age and bad hips made it no longer comfortable. Being a sucker for cheap random cars that catch my fancy, and being an admitted fan of BMWs for years, I inquired further, and he let me take a look.

In all fairness he admitted that while it was "running when parked" he had been unable to start it last time he tried and observed several chewed wires. Fairly disheartening but I'm kinda handy and this aint my first "old car in a pasture" rodeo. So we make a deal, with him offering it to me very very cheaply, and offering me to use his barn to fiddle with the wiring first, and if I couldn't get it to start, offering a full refund. What do I have to lose? So I made arrangements to return on the weekend when the weather was nicer to work on it.
    Last edited by kirk; 04-20-2017 at 05:28 PM.
    2003 4wd v6 5spd / Bronze Nismo Volks / Resonator Delete w/ K&N filter / Rear Sway Bar Delete / Magnaflow Exhaust w/2.5" pipe / Bilstien Shocks

Welcome back! When we last left our intrepid explorer, he was purchasing a (possibly) money pit of a BMW on a whim, and for no reason! Lets catch back up to him now, working in the daylight.

Pretty quickly I notice a buncho wiring chewed. So out comes the handy soldering iron and away I go.

I think you get the point. At the end of a couple hours of chasing wires, soldering, and repeating, I finally ran out of wires to fix. During this time the elderly man told me a story about every single one of his cars, and It was a grand time. I hope im as awesome as this guy when im in my mid 70's. So with no more wires to fix, it was time to test her out. I anxiously put the key in and when i turned it the dash lit right up! Pushed in the clutch, and BOOM she fired right off! She idled rough at first and smoothed out quickly, considering the gas is probably still old. Im honestly not sure who was more happy, me or the man. He laughed and clapped like a kid a Christmas.
    2003 4wd v6 5spd / Bronze Nismo Volks / Resonator Delete w/ K&N filter / Rear Sway Bar Delete / Magnaflow Exhaust w/2.5" pipe / Bilstien Shocks

VIN
    WBADD532XVBV51643
    Type code DD53
    Type 528I (USA)
    E series E39 ()
    Series 5
    Type LIM
    Steering LL
    Doors 4
    Engine M52
    Displacement 2.80
    Power 142
    Drive HECK
    Transmission MECH
    Colour CANYONROT METALLIC (343)
    Upholstery STANDARDLEDER/BEIGE E36 SANDBEIGE E (N6SN)
    Prod.date 1996-11-25

S248 Steering wheel heater
    S292 BMW light alloy wheel, cross spoke 29
    S403 Glass roof, electrical
    S459 Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
    S465 Through-loading system
    S494 Seat heating driver/passenger
    S640 Preparation f tel.installation universal
    S677 HiFi System Professional DSP
    S694 Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
    S773 Fine wood trim
    S818 Battery master switch
    S925 Dummy-SALAPA

S260 Side airbag for driver/passenger
    S302 Alarm system
    S354 Green windscreen, green shade band
    S411 Window lifts,electric,front/rear
    S423 Floor mats, velours
    S441 Smoker package
    S473 Armrest front
    S520 Fog lights
    S534 Automatic air conditioning
    S540 Cruise control
    S550 On-board computer
    S645 BMW US Radio
    S850 Dummy-SALAPA
    S853 Language version English
    S961 SPECIAL MOTOR
    S992 Control of number-plate attachment

The story of a long forgotten 528i and I.

So with the car running, the display lights up and i can see how many miles she has for the first time. Seems like a whole lot, but I dont know much about these cars. Should I be concerned?

Its still much too marshy for me to get my truck and trailer into his pasture to get the car out completely, so I backed it back into the sun, letting the car move under its own power for the first time in several years. I think I heard a family of pissed off displaced mice run away, but I care not for them!

While running, I noticed the check engine light didnt go off, so I got my bluetooth code reader from the truck and plugged it in. This is what I got. Im not sure what might be more chewed wires and what might be real issues. Feel free to weigh in on anything you like, with suggestions, kudos or comments. I literally have never owned a BMW and anything I know Ill be reading and researching trying to get up to speed. I already love this thing and i have driven three feet.

Ill be taking actual possession of the car Tomorrow, and I have honestly learned a ton already. I see that people worry about these being reliable, but this doesnt have to be my daily driver so I can go through it as slow as i want. Well until next time Constant Reader, I'm off to the belly of the internet to do some research.

Last edited by kirk; 04-20-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Bastard Admin from Hell Muadeeb is a jewel in the rough Muadeeb is a jewel in the rough Muadeeb's Avatar
    Nice find!

I'd dig deeper into the wiring of those codes first before trying anything else.

Sent from the 5th circle via directionally confused otters
    --
    Procrastination I can totally do. I'm good at it, I have a black belt in procrastination, it's an art form for me, I'm the absolute King of, well, I'll finish this thought la

2001 Xterra XE V6

Quote Originally Posted by NissanUSA
    Car does not snowboard. Do not attempt
    Or barrel roll. Do not attempt
    commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X8Gl2rpTIU
    1 is Greater than 7. Just go with it.

Some Kind of In Charge? Prime has a spectacular aura about Prime's Avatar
    Wow. Killer find. I wouldn't be opposed to a bimmer for a daily. Especially a 5 or 7 series.
    -Jay

Prime'z X - '07 Off Road
    | Build Thread |

Prime'z X - '02 XE - SOLD!

| Build Thread Preserved for Posterity |

XN Mantra
    I will consult Prime or Muadeeb when I am unsure how to wire something. Even if I think I am sure, I will have them double check me.

You noticed the man pedal, yeah? I know nothing about these but I like them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
    You noticed the man pedal, yeah? I know nothing about these but I like them a lot.
    Oh for sure.
    -Jay

Prime'z X - '07 Off Road
    | Build Thread |

XN Mantra
    I will consult Prime or Muadeeb when I am unsure how to wire something. Even if I think I am sure, I will have them double check me.

Super Moderator Fromfrontier2Xterra Rocking out Fromfrontier2Xterra's Avatar
    Awesome find.

Click them...you know you want to.

Went to pick up the BMW today. Remember how I told you the elderly gentleman was building a castle? Yeah. He may never get it done, but damn if he isnt more motivated than I would be. Several hours a day he plugs away at it. So for no reason, I climbed up in one tower for a pic. Of course I ended up having to help him carry some plywood up top, but when else can you say you participated in making a plywood castle? Never. Thats when.

So since I didnt have to go far, I decided to drive. What better way to test out an old pasture car than drive 16 miles to your stop, with a stop for wash and tacos? Oh, and on bad tires to boot.

This thing is literally FULL of old half eaten pecans and rat crap. So gross.

But this color is gorgeous IMO.

Leaving the car wash, she ran fine at first, then started bucking and stalling at stop lights. I cant find anything other than this broken hose I havent yet identified.

But after a short jaunt down the access road, it stopped doing that. Dunno yet. But I got it cleaner and I got it inside so I can start working on it!

(Its still crazy filthy tho)

How cheap was it?
    -Jay

Prime'z X - '07 Off Road
    | Build Thread |

XN Mantra

$1200. I thought it was more than fair

$1200. I thought it was more than fair
    Absolutely. That's a deal.
    -Jay

Prime'z X - '07 Off Road
    | Build Thread |

XN Mantra

First Fill Up (of many) mantree Heading down a great road mantree's Avatar
    Thay hose is conected to vacume somewhere so I'd say you suck water in, not enough to damage anything but enough to make it run rough for a bit.

Edit if I had to guess I'd say emitions or evap.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mantree; 04-21-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Supporting Member ElPincheGuero4 Heading down a great road ElPincheGuero4's Avatar
    Spraying water under the hood can cause any number of shorts when the wiring is in its current shape, brave move lol

Supporting Member dixie1865 Heading down a great road dixie1865's Avatar
    Regarding the mileage...
    I have a relative who was a BMW Master Mechanic (youngest in the company history at the time -Good ol' boy from Georgia and they sent him to Germany and then they would randomly send him all over to work with the company race teams). He always told me the high end German cars are far more durable than anything on the road. The issue is the tolerances the engineers use are so tight the cars get out of spec easily and have to be brought in for service which can get costly. He stated American and Japanese manufacturers will spec hundredths or thousandths, German cars are thousandths or ten thousandths respectively.

Sounds like you got a great deal on a beautiful car. Good luck and have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPincheGuero4 View Post
    Spraying water under the hood can cause any number of shorts when the wiring is in its current shape, brave move lol

Yeah, I totally get that, and I did have some issues at first, but I couldnt put it in the shop with that amount of rat sh*t and pecans in it. It was a gamble I had to take. Hahahaha

Supporting Member ElPincheGuero4 Heading down a great road ElPincheGuero4's Avatar
    Yeah, I totally get that, and I did have some issues at first, but I couldnt put it in the shop with that amount of rat sh*t and pecans in it. It was a gamble I had to take. Hahahaha
    Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by dixie1865 View Post
    Regarding the mileage...
    I have a relative who was a BMW Master Mechanic (youngest in the company history at the time -Good ol' boy from Georgia and they sent him to Germany and then they would randomly send him all over to work with the company race teams). He always told me the high end German cars are far more durable than anything on the road. The issue is the tolerances the engineers use are so tight the cars get out of spec easily and have to be brought in for service which can get costly. He stated American and Japanese manufacturers will spec hundredths or thousandths, German cars are thousandths or ten thousandths respectively.

Sounds like you got a great deal on a beautiful car. Good luck and have fun with it.
    I guess thats good and bad. Hahaha Funny thing is, even with all these miles, the fit and finish of the car is still far better than lower mileage american cars of my friends. The leather isnt even as destroyed as I thought it would be. And thanks! I think its gorgeous too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast