How To: Wiring up a elocking M226 when there wasn't one there before

Oz_X

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
So if you have anything less than a Pro-X 4x4 or a Nismo Frontier or an Off-Road model and you swapped in a elocking M226 this is for you. Or its just one way of doing it I am sure there are better but this was about the most hassle I wanted to deal with.

OH, and I wont lie, this was kinda of a bi+ch. Nothing too hard just long and tedious.

Here's what we start with. Note where the Indicator light and the Solenoid female plugs are:
DSC_4247.jpg

Next thang to get is the factory harness.Nissan Elocking harness, part number 24168-EA800 available at
http://www.enissanparts.com/nissanpa...&siteid=216803
DSC_4243.jpg

You can cut off the end that's pictured and discard it.
DSC_4248.jpg

Because I wanted a little utility in the future (gobble knows why) so I can unplug the thing I didn't directly wire the harness (cut off end) just into longer wires. I picked up this little harness at an electronics shop:
DSC_4244.jpg

So on the non-dif side of the Nissan harness I stripped back the flex and stripped the wires as such:
DSC_4249.jpg

Then I did the same thing to the little harness, and 'preloaded' some shrink wrap. LOVE shrink wrap:
DSC_4250.jpg

Then I took the cheap way out and twisted the pairs together:
DSC_4251.jpg

Then shrink wrapped the lot:
DSC_4252.jpg

OK finished harness. Set this aside:
DSC_4253.jpg

At this point I took some notes about how I was going to wire this thing up. After I decipher what I did I will post a nicer version done in Illustrator or something.
DSC_4263.jpg

Next, I thought it would be a little easier to work on if I took this out:
DSC_4255.jpg

Everything that unplugged I numbered so I could remeber where it went back (ok, im old so what)

So the dash now looks like this:
DSC_4254.jpg

This is where I am going to put a helicopter switch and (2) LED lights. An Amber light, which will come on when the solenoid is energized. And a Green light, which will come on when the locker is engaged.
DSC_4256.jpg

OK so hole is drilled and the switch is in place for a dry fitting. Wherever you put yours make sure there is room behind. On position
DSC_4257.jpg

Off position:
DSC_4258.jpg

And here they are with holes drilled and set in place. Set this aside for now.
DSC_4259.jpg

Now to start running power and grounds back to switch, lamps and then harness. I'm tapping in here at my aux fuse block in the engine bay.
DSC_4260.jpg

All buttoned up:
DSC_4261.jpg

After pulling 4 wires through the firewall I am here at the console:
DSC_4262.jpg

Here's the completed wiring at the switch and lamps (I will post a simple schematic soon):
DSC_4264.jpg

After a lot of fun time running the 4 wires under the tranny hump and through the ebrake boot and underneath, wired up the new harness and plugged in, you have this: Time precluded putting some photos here but you can figure it out

On:
DSC_4266.jpg

Off:
DSC_4267.jpg

SO that's it! I am finally locked. It dawned on my today that I've never had a locked 4x4, but I've always wanted one. I've owned a Toy 4WD p/u, 4X4 Jeep Cherokee, Toy FJ55 4X4, Ford F250 4X4 Pickup, Still have a 1975 Land Rover and of course the X. None of them ever locked. But now I have a locked 4X4 I am so stoked.

OH and I gotta say having the (2) lamps is great. When I did a little test run, I could see that I powered the solenoid but it wasnt engaging. I rolled a little bit slowly in neutral and heard the locker engage and the green light came on. Conversely, when I powered off the solenoid I saw that it was still engaged, until I drove it slowly a little bit. Works like a charm.

Last edited:

civicjoe

lone wolf mod
Founding Member
Well sir I gotta say good work!
Now wheres the how to on how to instal the locker into the diff?