Metzican's build The Silverback Edition

metzican

Suspension Lift
Decided to work on my X today vs the trailer and got this. Done. Was hoping to do the winch too but I will get that done when I'm waiting for epoxy to dry.

20150118_160710_zps21ahjg4q.jpg

20150118_160720_zpsiea8sdcs.jpg

metzican

Suspension Lift
The heads on them are huge. I was kinda surprised. And in all reality I don't double look at my vehicle. I think it kinda just blends in with all the other mods. I did not run into much of an issue while installing it. Just which I had my ratchet wrenches with me. Seems like I heard a lot of issues with the layout sheet. No issues here.

metzican

Suspension Lift
I saw it more of a need then want for this upcoming trip. I know it does not increase your forging depth but hell I would rather deal with other issues then with a hydro-locked engine. I was hoping to weight until ARB came out but It does not look like it will be soon if ever. Lets admit it the Xterra is dying and the market is not that big.

Last edited:

metzican

Suspension Lift
You'll get asked a million times what that big black thing is... its fun coming up with descriptions lol

I almost want to bet I will not. I have a standard oem look on my face that says don't **** with me. While on the inside my soul is saying I need a friend. I don't get ask questions a lot about anything. Most people just go nice jeep and run when I look at them.

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
hahahahaha, mine's been the opposite. I've had tons of people ask me what it is and what does that big black thing do. I get stares while in traffic and p/lots all the time. Of course, I'm also the only modded X in my area

metzican

Suspension Lift
I also installed a secondary fuse. Somehow someway this was overlooked with the initial install. Good thing there has not been a issue yet in the last 2 years. This fuse is right before the second battery. There is already one on the other side right in front of the main battery with about 15' of cable between them. Both are 300amps.

20150205_135101_zpsiwi0kqpu.jpg

maillet282

If you bleeding, Imma fix you
Why a fuse instead of a breaker. That way if something happens that it pops you just need to refer it instead of having a consumable Luke high amp fuses

metzican

Suspension Lift
Why a fuse instead of a breaker. That way if something happens that it pops you just need to refer it instead of having a consumable Luke high amp fuses

Breakers work well but they are a set amps. With a fuse if I got the wrong size undersized it, I can always get a larger one. Along with it is consumable. So if something does happen I can replace it. With a breaker I can't. Also at anything over 100amps I trust a fuse more. Don't know why but that is where I set my boundaries.

metzican

Suspension Lift
I don't know if anyone has ever done this so I will use this as a mini write up. I wanted to do something different and this is not the cheapest route but hey look at all the room. Not to mention it created a highly water resistant air intake. I also am going to install a drain where the sensor installs in the K&N intake but I lost the connector so I have to buy another one.

Parts:
[h=1]K&N RC-5052AB Universal Cold Air Intake System[/h][h=1]Spectre Performance 9761 Black 4" x 3" Intake Coupler[/h][h=1]Spectre 9541 Black 3.5"-3" Coupler/Reducer[/h]3" OD Pipe any air intake will work
2" Wide 1/8" thick Flat Iron
Silicone (Clear outdoor)

So I wanted to use a cone intake: To do this I had to adapt the K&N filter to the 3" snorkel output and the stock air box MAF sensor tube.

First step: I installed the snorkel just follow there directions on this.
Second step: Remove the stock air box.
Third step: Cut the MAF sensor tube off the stock air box.
Fourth step: Bend the Flat Iron in a U shape drill hole through one side to use the stock bolt.
Fifth step: Assemble everything together using silicone on all joints.

20150213_170850_zpslvdnkljd.jpg

20150213_170901_zpstrrb563k.jpg

20150213_170906_zpsgpo2po3c.jpg

metzican

Suspension Lift
Love it! Mine will get an Apollo when it gets a snorkel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this setup. With alitte more time routing it You could create enough room for a 2nd or 3rd battery! Do I need a third battery in my vehicle. Hmm. Maybe I will move the air compressors from the spare tire to up here and then put the an aux fuel thank back there....

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
It's definitely something that is on my list.

I wish I could create that kind of space though. The Apollo is about the same size as the 1st Gen factory air box.

metzican

Suspension Lift
It's definitely something that is on my list.

I wish I could create that kind of space though. The Apollo is about the same size as the 1st Gen factory air box.

I hear you, the pictures above really don't show it well but the space it opened up is large and could be even larger if I move the filter further back or forward and tuck it in.

metzican

Suspension Lift
Due to crappy weather I finally switched out my winch today. Pretty easy to do with my bumper.

20150305_101055_zpssvg827xk.jpg

So today I decided to go old school with my door lock switch and changed it out. The new panel I got from Mudchet did not work. But hey the rocket part did so I switched it out with my broken one. Thanks Mudchet for keeping me in mind.

Now here is the big questions when did they upgrade the rocker? 09?
20150305_112702_zpsjh6sadsb.jpg

metzican

Suspension Lift
I also noticed today that the bolts for my passenger side half shaft where all loose so I resnug them down. Need to pick up some locktite. Hope this does not become a constant problem.

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I also noticed today that the bolts for my passenger side half shaft where all loose so I resnug them down. Need to pick up some locktite. Hope this does not become a constant problem.

Yeah that may stink on your trip

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member

I recommend this. After reading about the horror stories with the M205 over on Titan Talk, I immediately threw Locktite on them upon installation.

metzican

Suspension Lift
So a little update to the air intake. I installed a drain from the air filter housing. This will be used if rain goes down the snorkel vs out the back like it is suppose to. It's just a clear hose with a valve at the bottom. All downhill to ensure drainage.

20150307_185954_zps5nsyzpgw.jpg

20150307_185959_zps3zckvvvw.jpg

20150307_190005_zpswd7fas9a.jpg

metzican

Suspension Lift
Thanks guys,

So I did not know what thread to put this under so I decided this one.

Here is my attachable winch It can mount to the back of my vehicle or the back or maybe even the front of the camper if needed. Of course it has the wireless controls like the other one I have. Only thing I have left to do is solder the leads.

Note to everyone. Engo switched to solid state solonoid in december.

20150307_202245_zpss6bjdq1u.jpg

20150307_202314_zpsfahofhky.jpg

metzican

Suspension Lift
How much did that set you back?

Not as bad as anything else I recently purchased... 200amps <$400. Lets just say with having to charge 4 batteries. I saw it as a necessary evil. I want to be able to charge everything pretty quickly on long day drives the stock alt would do just fine. But if I want a quick charge at the camp site I don't want to have to just burn gas and let the vehicle run.

metzican

Suspension Lift
Not to mention I was going to buy a trail spare anyways. So it's buy a stock one at pretty high prices or a this one at high prices. Might as well invest in the upgrade.

metzican

Suspension Lift
So I got my custom ordered rear aluminum corner panels in about a week ago. Finally got them all installed. They were a bit tricky to install but once you get the idea down there fairly simple to install.

20150408_134830_zpssyldfrk6.jpg

20150408_134838_zpsw6nystbn.jpg