Feels Like Limp Mode... No Codes... Pending SMOD?

Trexterra

Wheeling
Founding Member
SOLVED: NISMOFIRE FTW: bad wiring job on trailer brake resulted in limp mode when headlights were turned on.

SOLUTION: over 10 hours of certified mechanic time chasing wires to find the culprit. Wires re routed and replaced.

I already cross posted this at TNX but I figured I need as many eyes on this problem as I can muster to find a resolution. Some opinions I've had are either timing belt tensioner or SMOD.

So I just bought my 06 Xterra Off Road (Yay!) and ran perfect for test drive. As soon as paper work is done and I drive it home it accelerates fine to about 40mph but will not go over ~2200 RPM and is slowwwwww to 60mph (Boo!). So I call the dealer and tell them about it but of course the next time I get in the truck it runs fine, drove it all around yesterday and it was flawless. Tonight I get back in to drive to a friends and it occurs again. After being shut off for a few hours I get back in to drive home and no change. I have taken the radiator cap off while cold and didn't notice any signs of SMOD there. I think the dealer may have done a coolant/fluid flush before the sale though so i'm not sure if it's just being disguised. I get 0 CEL and no weird noises on accelerating or anything, at least not that I can hear over the hum of the worn out Duratracs. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Golf286

Wheeling
Sounds more like Bad Gas to me.. With Limp Mode you'd have no power and move at about a snails pace from my experience. Also are the instrument cluster lights still on? Have you disconnected the battery to do a reset?

Cameron23

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Sounds like bad gas how's the shifting is it sluggish or firm when it shifts? Any smoke out of the exhaust? Have the dealer look again until they receive the experience... Don't take "well it's not doing it now" as an answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trexterra

Wheeling
Founding Member
I have new 91 octane in it with Lucas injector cleaner, no smoke, no shifting issues. I'll try a battery reset but the problem is intermittent so I wouldn't be able to know 100% of that was a cause. I might try fuel filter too

Trexterra

Wheeling
Founding Member
It doesn't seem like anything too serious, just got to put my finger on it

Cameron23

Skid Plates
Founding Member
It doesn't seem like anything too serious, just got to put my finger on it

Dude... why risk it? I mean sure it could be some easy fix then have the dealer fix it, or give it back and move on and find a working one. Too risky to just think maybe it won't continue.

Trexterra

Wheeling
Founding Member
I have 30 day warranty but I'm going to schedule a time to take it in to their mechanic again anyways

Cameron23

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Do not let the 30 days run out without a definite cause found. Even if it is not happening at the end of it, there is a reason this is happening and it could come back at any point after the warranty.

Trexterra

Wheeling
Founding Member
Mechanic could not duplicate the issue but stated the fluid was fine and they did not want to do a flush because it "could cause friction issues with the clutch plate". Whatever... the important part is that this problem has happened to me a 3rd time. It only happens at night. I tried pulling over and starting in 1st and it ran fine, 2nd ran fine, 3rd ran fine. When it is in Drive it has the issue. D + 4hi = same issue. D + VDC Off = same issue. D + Hill descent = same issue. Is there a night sensor that I don't know about?

Here is a video that my wife recorded for me tonight while we were driving home from the gym.

http://youtu.be/PdI1BkTuu4M

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
haha I swear to gobble if it's the headlights i'm sending you $50 Nismo

Seriously, my parents had a a 94(? maybe 96) Lumina that would stall all the time...random intervals. Car would just completely stop. Battery, alternator, ECU....everything tested fine....

....til one day, my dad was driving behind my mom and noticed the 3rd brake light was out. Okay, he goes home and fixes it...no more stalling. That's been a known issue for those Lumina's and pre-Internet, he had no way of knowing/researching it.

Trexterra

Wheeling
Founding Member
you are a no **** genius... just went out and tested it... it's the headlights. Now what would make that happen?

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
wow! Really?!?! That's crazy.

Now...causes. Has to be an electrical short somewhere. I'd start by changing the bulbs.

/don't forget Nismo's $50

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Headlights, parking/driving lights, fog lights (if applicable), tail lights, 3rd brake light. Any of them out?

Last edited:

Trexterra

Wheeling
Founding Member
I'll check the lights... and Nismo I really am serious about the $50. Send me your paypal email and when I make sure it isn't going to cost me $1k i'll send you $50 haha.

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I'll check the lights... and Nismo I really am serious about the $50. Send me your paypal email and when I make sure it isn't going to cost me $1k i'll send you $50 haha.

Hahaha thanks but it's not necessary, I promise. That's what we're here for!

Trexterra

Wheeling
Founding Member
Headlights, parking/driving lights, fog lights (if applicable), tail lights, 3rd brake light. Any of them out?

They are all working perfectly. Brights, turns, running, brights, interior lights all good. The one oddity that does happen is my backlight on the stereo goes out when i depress the brake. The same time you hear the click to unlock the transmission selector. It also turns on the dash light when I press the brakes.

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member

They are all working perfectly. Brights, turns, running, brights, interior lights all good. The one oddity that does happen is my backlight on the stereo goes out when i depress the brake. The same time you hear the click to unlock the transmission selector. It also turns on the dash light when I press the brakes.

Interior lights were my next guess...take it back to the dealer tomorrow and tell them exactly that.

Then tell them an "uneducated" 28 year old woman diagnosed the problem without an ASE certification, then send them my bill. ;)

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
well if you won't take my money just take a big internet hug

Bro hug.

Hug it out! Hahaha.

For real, though...tell them that. And film their reaction, because I'd love to see it. Just like the looks I get when I roll up in my truck to the dealer for an oil change.

Trexterra

Wheeling
Founding Member
I think i'm going to pull the stereo out tomorrow and see what kind of hack job wiring someone could have done. There is an ipod hookup running to the back so who knows what's behind there.

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I think i'm going to pull the stereo out tomorrow and see what kind of hack job wiring someone could have done. There is an ipod hookup running to the back so who knows what's behind there.

Oooooh crap. That's a strong possibility, especially if whomever didn't use a harness, just hardwired everything.

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Hahaha thanks but it's not necessary, I promise. That's what we're here for!

Fine, I'll take it. :D:

Grab a buddy, spouse, someone who has competence, and try to recreate the issue with them watching. Watch for any flickers or irregularities with anything and everything electrical. This is the "cheap" way to check for a ground fault with anything.

Trexterra

Wheeling
Founding Member
Mechanic has diagnosed it as a body control module issue (BCM). Hopefully have the new one in or the old one reprogrammed by wednesday.:kewl:

Trexterra

Wheeling
Founding Member
most of it should be their cost... I might have to pay like a $125 deductible until I get angry enough that they pay for it all.